What to do with Salmons (a hypothetical)

PJ Brown

Liked Posts:
Two things got me thinking . . .

1) At least at some point today, Salmons was included in some versions of the Boozer rumors, whether accurate or not.

2) Recently, Doug, if I remember correctly (I might not) suggested that some sources are claiming they've heard Salmons is leaning towards opting in for 2010, not out as most of us had assumed, not that anyone would know this for sure, of course.

Question: For the sake of argument, let's just say the Bulls did feel there was a good chance he'd opt-in (Yes, I know that in truth they probably won't know until he actually makes a decision), then what would you do? Would you feel more compelled to attempt to deal him now or at the deadline, knowing the he could cost you $7 million in cap space for free agents?

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Salmons told someone I know during the season last year that he was definitely opting in.

However, that was what he was thinking in April or May (I forget when). I don't know that it means anything towards next year though. It'd be crazy for him to opt in I think.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Also, his cap hit isn't that bad in his final year. It's 5.8 million.

It would depend on what our other roster moves were, but I would keep him I think. You could probably move him in a sign and trade, and odds are the Bulls aren't going to have enough cap space to sign someone outright even if they move him for an expiring.

PJ Brown

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
Also, his cap hit isn't that bad in his final year. It's 5.8 million.

It would depend on what our other roster moves were, but I would keep him I think. You could probably move him in a sign and trade, and odds are the Bulls aren't going to have enough cap space to sign someone outright even if they move him for an expiring.

5.8 isn't that bad. It's not too hard to imagine someone willing to take him in a trade at one year for less than 6 or for the team to make other moves that allow them to keep him without destroying plans for acquiring a free agent. I agree he probably will and also probably should opt-out, but athletes make all sorts of career decisions I wouldn't expect, so I'd hope the team, at least, has thought through how him opting in figures into their 2010 outlook.

senrad

Liked Posts:
For around the mid level exception he is a bargain. I think he opts out because there will be a ton of teams that miss out on Lebron/wade and the rest. All these teams will have money to burn at that point and fan bases that they will need to appease....leading to big deals for nobodies. Remember us panicking and picking up mercer and robinson? I picture that happening all ove the league.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:
I'm laughing inside. Gar Foreman shouldn't be the GM. The dude has a chance to get Boozer and he worried about Bosh. Face this, Bosh isn't coming here when he has Wade in Miami and Bron in Cleveland. Why in the hell would he come here, especially after his geeked statements about Turkman! Bosh would be Special person to leave Toronto to come here anyway. He has Derozen, Calderon, Turkman, and Adrea; we have Rose, Noah, and Deng. I'm not sure if this cast is appealing to him. The scale is leaning downwards on Toronto side, so Bosh, just stay where you are. Salmons is good but he seems like a SF to me. His foot speed doesn't wow me. Plus, how long will be stay in his prime, the window is shutting.

PJ Brown

Liked Posts:
Simeon2UC wrote:
I'm laughing inside. Gar Foreman shouldn't be the GM. The dude has a chance to get Boozer and he worried about Bosh. Face this, Bosh isn't coming here when he has Wade in Miami and Bron in Cleveland. Why in the hell would he come here, especially after his geeked statements about Turkman! Bosh would be Special person to leave Toronto to come here anyway. He has Derozen, Calderon, Turkman, and Adrea; we have Rose, Noah, and Deng. I'm not sure if this cast is appealing to him. The scale is leaning downwards on Toronto side, so Bosh, just stay where you are. Salmons is good but he seems like a SF to me. His foot speed doesn't wow me. Plus, how long will be stay in his prime, the window is shutting.

I'm not sure what about 80% of this has to do with this thread.

What do you suggest we do with Salmons, then?

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
raptors suck

i think he opts in and we trade him to a team with about 6 mil cap space for a lottery pick to preserve our cap space.