What to expect from Nagy and the Bears

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I started to look at the personnel and system that Nagy has spent his entire coaching career in to start to get a feel for where the Bears may be going and what impact it will have on personnel.

A lot of this is based on the Reid Eagles and subsequently the Reid Chiefs. The fact that the staff switched teams make the personnel reads that much easier as they have replicated a couple of things with both teams.

Personnel

1. Premium placed on OT Talent

In Philadelphia they started with Tra Thomas [1st round] and Jon Runyan [Big Free Agent], then they moved on to Jason Peters [1st round trade] and Lane Johnson [4th overall], and finally in KC they have Eric Fisher [1st overall] and Mitchell Schwartz [Big Free Agent].

This system puts a premium on OT play and they invest premium assets in the OT position. I would expect that Leno and Massie as a combination do not meet the standards that Nagy is use to.

2. Athletic C

In Philadelphia it was Jason Kelce and in KC it is Mitch Morse, but in both spots they have had an athletic C that can get to the 2nd level and pass protect without help.

This is one spot I think the Bears are covered with Whitehair who can handle both responsibilities.

3. Big TEs that can get vertical

The Chiefs have tall TEs that can run routes vertically. Kelce is one of the top 2 TEs in the league and it is unrealistic to think the Bears can match that, but Demetrius Harris is also a 6'7' basketball player that can run routes in the 10-20 yard range and has the speed to threaten LBs down the seam.

Obviously I like Shaheen in this role. Dion Sims has next to no value in this role and I doubt he makes the team. They could use to add another big pass catching threat.

4. Speed at WR

As I pointed out in another thread Reid has always valued speed at WR. In Philly it was Jackson [4.35] and Maclin [4.43] in Kansas City it is Hill [4.29], Conley [4.35] and Wilson [4.4]. The really interesting part of the Chiefs offense is that they threaten you vertically from every single position. There is not a single WR that you can sit on. One play it is Wilson from the slot, the next it is Hill outside. The opposing teams safeties have to stay back and they have to read 3 vertical threats every play.

5. Mobility and Accuracy at QB

Nagy runs a lot of RPO and uses Smith's legs to create an advantage in the box on running plays. The offense is based on getting the ball accurately and on time to really fast WRs. You will see Hill running a lot of drag routes and crossing routes trying to get him the ball in space and allowing him to run with the ball. They used McNabb's legs a ton in Philadelphia to gain an advantage and make defenses uncomfortable.

Obviously, this is what drew Nagy to Trubisky. He is like the physically deluxe version of Alex Smith.

6. RBs that can catch

The Chiefs send guys vertically and then crush you underneath with TE mismatches and throws to the RB out of the backfield. They are one of the best and more diverse screen teams in the NFL.

Obviously Jordan Howard's strength is not catching the ball, but this could mean big things for Cohen. Cohen's route running and hands are very good for a RB and I can see him being used a ton on 3rd down and in the hurry up in this offense.

This is what I expect to see from a personnel stand point on offense. The Bears have some areas where they match up very well, most importantly QB, and some areas that need a complete overhaul.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Coaching

Fangio

Something else I expect to see is an empowered Vic Fangio if he is back. The Bears will have put on the full court press and given him total control of the defense to stay. With that will come and increased voice.

My guess is we will see a bigger investment of draft capital on defense than we have see in previous years. In 3 years the Bears have had 6 top 50 picks and 2/6 have been spent on defense. My guess is we will see a pretty solid influx of Fangio approved defensive talent.

This doesn't mean they are spending the 8th and 39th picks on defense, but I would expect Fangio to have more of a voice than he did under Fox.

OC

The rumor is that Nagy was thinking about David Culley for his OC. Culley is the Bills QB coach, but more importantly was Reid's WR coach for 15 years.

The Bears need to develop the QB, but they also desperately need to develop some WR talent along with the QB. I expect that the OC may not have the QB specialty we are assuming and may be more focused on the WR position.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
Leno is pretty athletic, I think they will stick with him..I wonder if Long bounces out to RT again?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Leno is pretty athletic, I think they will stick with him..I wonder if Long bounces out to RT again?

I think we could see the 8th pick be an OT.

Nagy runs the ball more than Reid and they also do not help their OTs a lot. A premium OT would help in both areas of the offense.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
Not an elite left tackle worthy of top 10 in this draft, IMO. Quentin Nelson from ND would be worth the 8th overall pick but he is a guard.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
So the Bears need big upgrades at OT and a ton of speed on the outside. NP. That should be easy to do. :thinking:
JK Windy. Do you think the serious upgrades are out there (especially OTs) and, if so, where? FA and/or the draft?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Great summary write-up.

I agree on all accounts expect maybe TEs. I think the Reid offense used good-great route running tight ends, not necessarily tall ones.

It’s funny how our WR corps will most likely get an upgrade with speed, a far cry from when we had the twin towers in Jeffery and Marshall.
You
I also think Cohen will see A LOT of time split out wide at WR.

I think Leno is here to stay, but Massie could definitely be upgraded. I wish we would have gotten Ricky Wagner last offseason...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So the Bears need big upgrades at OT and a ton of speed on the outside. NP. That should be easy to do. :thinking:
JK Windy. Do you think the serious upgrades are out there (especially OTs) and, if so, where? FA and/or the draft?

Free Agent OTs that interest me would be Chris Hubbard from Pit.

Free Agent WRs that would bring some speed: Richardson, Wilson, Gabriel, Brown

Draft OT: Orlando Brown and Mike McGlinchey may be slight reaches at 8, but once the elite talent is gone it is the same from 6-16

Draft WR: Christain Kirk and Anthony Miller seem to have the explosive skill set the Bears would like.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Great summary write-up.

I agree on all accounts expect maybe TEs. I think the Reid offense used good-great route running tight ends, not necessarily tall ones.

It’s funny how our RE corps will most likely get an upgrade with speed, a far cry from when we had the twin towers in Jeffery and Marshall.
You
I also think Cohen will see A LOT of time split out wide at WR.

I think Leno is here to stay, but Massie could definitely be upgraded. I wish we would have gotten Ricky Wagner last offseason...

I think if Leno is the worst of your 2 OTs you are doing really well.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears need an upgrade at tackle regardless of what system they run. Ideally I'd rather see a great left tackle and a Leno at right tackle.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
The Bears need an upgrade at tackle regardless of what system they run. Ideally I'd rather see a great left tackle and a Leno at right tackle.

They tried Leno at RT a few years ago and he was awful. He plays a better LT than RT.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I don't even know if you need to move them. The number of elite guys rushing from the defensive left side is off the charts right now.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

That’s easier said than done. Great LTs come along only slightly more often that great QBs.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I think we could see the 8th pick be an OT.

Nagy runs the ball more than Reid and they also do not help their OTs a lot. A premium OT would help in both areas of the offense.
Good. They need line help badly. No one is awful, but many are below average to average.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Long, I'd be surprised if he wasn't put on the ir list with an option to come back late in the season.

So no, I think given that, they keep him at guard.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Good. They need line help badly. No one is awful, but many are below average to average.

Consistency was a real issue. Same with the D. Up and down way too much.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
They tried Leno at RT a few years ago and he was awful. He plays a better LT than RT.
Yeah. They may need to change both. Certainly they need a new RT

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Also hard the way Fox treated the o line every preseason.

What do you mean by that? Not being snarky, just nothing pops into my mind to comprehend the statement.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here we go again shitting all over the Bears offensive line. The KC Chiefs start a shit guard, a center that is average on his best day, and a first round bust at LT that is only now starting to look like a barely starter level player. The only position where they have an advantage over Chicago is at right tackle.

LT - Charles Leno > Eric Fisher - Not a drastic difference but Leno is better

LG - Josh Sitton > Witzman/Fulton - Not even close, both of KC’s LG’s are trash

C - Cody Whitehair > Morse - Morse is not bad, but Whitehair is clearly better

RG - Kyle Long > LDT - LDT is solid, but Long is the better player when healthy

RT - Massie < Schwartz - Massie is not bad, but Schwartz is one of the top RT’s in the NFL