What Would You Do?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
as of right now what would you do going forward? going into 2014? think long and hard about the current players, trade deadline, and FAs.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
There was talk today about Hahn not needing to move Peavy or Rios this year because they are under contract in 2014, but why wait? This year has already proved risky with Rios' lack of effort and Peavy getting hurt and just getting better before the trade deadline. I say trade them both, get what you can, and move along.

I am also disappointed with the volume of trades. I expected more deals to get done, and now with the deadline being 8 days away I'm getting a little nervous.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There was talk today about Hahn not needing to move Peavy or Rios this year because they are under contract in 2014, but why wait? This year has already proved risky with Rios' lack of effort and Peavy getting hurt and just getting better before the trade deadline. I say trade them both, get what you can, and move along.

I am also disappointed with the volume of trades. I expected more deals to get done, and now with the deadline being 8 days away I'm getting a little nervous.

dont be nervous. for me i move rios,peavy,lindstrom, ramirez,crain for specs to help the farm. i move beckham to ss. sign a FA sp, 2b, and....ellsbury!

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
someone's looking for a fast rebuild. hope all that happens, except I hope we dont give Ellsbury too long of a contract, speed guys dont age that well (put he did have power)

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd trade the big names that teams are interested in away (Peavy, Crain, Rios) and keep the rest. Maybe sign a big name over the offseason, but otherwise let some young guys get some experience. 2014 won't be great, but focus on the fact that the White Sox want to be a winning team in the future.

I know this whole process wouldn't go over with most casual fans because they can look to the north side and see the same thing going on, but if I was in the front office I sell the rebuild. It explains why the White Sox are not winning games right now. Fans will start to pay more attention to the minor leagues (maybe?).

White Sox can't do a full rebuild because of money and ticket sales, but go halfway. Try to be a .500 team or close to it in 2014, but also sell the fact that the White Sox are trying to build a different team with different faces of the organization.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
What do I realistically do if I had control? Great question.
Let’s start

C –Tyler Flowers hits like Karkovice but doesn’t play the position like him. He’s at best a backup in the bigs for me. I give the ball to Josh Phegley for the remainder of the season to see what he can do.

1b/DH-This is a killer for us. Paulie is at the end of his career, Dunn has another year on his contract and the one guy I really want to see here full time is Viciedo to see if he can field the position or if he is about to become a full time DH (I have given up on him as a possible 3b). You see if anyone would take Paulie and/or Dunn to free up First/DH. Paulie should go with a team that has a shot. Maybe the Yankees. This I think is the hardest position to figure out.

2b-Gordon is hurt again, but I am pretty pleased that his bat has come around. He’s had defensive lapses though (like who hasn’t on this team). I don’t think we’ll ever see power from him, but I think he could be an average #2 hitter for the lineup. Should he move over to SS? Great question. I do like his flexibility to play three of the four infield positions and his price tag fits a budget of 15,000 fans a nite.

SS-Alexei Ramirez is having a down year. But with the glove and the bat which is killer. He’s probably on the down side of his career. Three years and $30 million owed really hurts the teams ability to trade him. I think he’s ours for the remainder. Hoping he at least turns the glove around.

3b-Conor Gillaspie, Jeff Keppinger, Brent Morel Conor has been nice at times and Jeff has picked it up a bit of late. Still unsure why Morel is up at this point since he’s only shot really is regular playing time. I’d see if I could trade Jeff to a contending team and allow Conor to play 3b for the remainder of the year including 2014 to see exactly what we have. If Jeff can’t be traded, I think he’ll be fine as the fifth infielder on the squad.

LF,CF,RF – I need to see what Jordan Danks can do. For me on him it is now or never. That means one has to go, De Aza, Rios, or Viciedo. As much garbage (and initially deservedly so) Rios takes, he’s been a solid player, but he won’t be with us when the team competes again. Trade him and open RF up for Danks. I’m also looking for an upgrade in the OF so a De Aza can move to LF and maybe get a lead off hitter in the off season to play CF. I honestly would make an inquiry to Cincinatti on Billy Hamilton.

SP – Peavy, Sale, Santiago, Quintana, Danks The only one I trade away is Jake and only because I have to be realistic and say the Sox won’t compete next year. I really love Jake and appreciate what he’s done and his amazing comeback from injury. This to me is still a strength of the team even without Jake and I would look toward next season on picking up a #2-#3 guy to fill in.

RP- Honestly, it’s such a lottery, if you can get B level specs I think everyone is tradeable.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Here's what I do:

Trade Peavy and Crain to STL for RHP Shelby Miller or RHP Carolos Martinez, trade Rios and Ramirez to PIT (help PIT with some of the salary) for SS Alen Hensen and OF Gregory Polanco. Trade Lindstrom for prospect. Let Paulie stay and retire but if he wants a shot at a contender I move him as well. If we can get the right deal I move Dunn too, if not I keep him and look to deal him next year.

I move Viciedo to 3rd base (he's played it before. Make him slim down some), Beckham stays at 2nd (I want to keep him there he's been playing 2nd for awhile now). I keep De Aza (I'd love to sign Ellsbury but he's hurt a lot and De Aza has more power). If McCann hits the market he's my main target and make him play 1st Base and he can also catch and DH. I really want McCann. It'd give us a good LH bat who hits with power and average. I keep Phegley at Catcher as of now. He's doing alright and shows some promise unlike Flowers who is terrible. I have De Aza in Center, Polanco in LF, and I sign Shin-soo Choo to play RF who's hitting .287 with 14 HRs and 11 SBs.
I'd go try and sign SS Jhonny Peralta to a 2 yr deal that way Hensen has 2 more years to develop and that seals our infield or a couple seasons.

Starting Rotation: Sale, Shelby Miller/Carlos Martinez , Quintana, Santiago, sign a 5th starter.

Pen: Nate Jones, Alexrod (long reliever), sign some relievers and look at our minors for relievers. Sign a set up man (maybe bring back Crain). Reed is the Closer.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And of course campaign for Ron Kittle to the Hall of Fame :smug:

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just not seeing how the Sox could acquire Shelby Miller.

Red Birds are trying to build their rotation around him, Martinez & Wainwright.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Wishful thinking on my part. I don't follow every team so I looked up top prospects and how he's doing

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's what I do:

Trade Peavy and Crain to STL for RHP Shelby Miller or RHP Carolos Martinez, trade Rios and Ramirez to PIT (help PIT with some of the salary) for SS Alen Hensen and OF Gregory Polanco. Trade Lindstrom for prospect. Let Paulie stay and retire but if he wants a shot at a contender I move him as well. If we can get the right deal I move Dunn too, if not I keep him and look to deal him next year.

I move Viciedo to 3rd base (he's played it before. Make him slim down some), Beckham stays at 2nd (I want to keep him there he's been playing 2nd for awhile now). I keep De Aza (I'd love to sign Ellsbury but he's hurt a lot and De Aza has more power). If McCann hits the market he's my main target and make him play 1st Base and he can also catch and DH. I really want McCann. It'd give us a good LH bat who hits with power and average. I keep Phegley at Catcher as of now. He's doing alright and shows some promise unlike Flowers who is terrible. I have De Aza in Center, Polanco in LF, and I sign Shin-soo Choo to play RF who's hitting .287 with 14 HRs and 11 SBs.
I'd go try and sign SS Jhonny Peralta to a 2 yr deal that way Hensen has 2 more years to develop and that seals our infield or a couple seasons.

Starting Rotation: Sale, Shelby Miller/Carlos Martinez , Quintana, Santiago, sign a 5th starter.

Pen: Nate Jones, Alexrod (long reliever), sign some relievers and look at our minors for relievers. Sign a set up man (maybe bring back Crain). Reed is the Closer.

when can you start?

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Rios gets traded, I would really like to see Wells and Danks share time equally as the third outfielder. Still not sure if Danks is going to be able to produce offensively or not. Haven't seen him play enough to really make a decision.

I think the trades that are predicted to happen will set up some interesting "experiments" for the White Sox. I look forward to Beckham possibly playing SS and seeing how that works out, Danks getting a good chance to play a lot, and seeing if Axelrod will ever be a good starting pitcher. It might look terrible, but why not experiment when 14 games out of the division? Either something good happens, or you lose and get a better draft pick. Win-win in my opinion.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Just fucking get rid of Axelrod as a starter and Troncosso as a pitcher altogether