What Would You have Done About Our 2014 DC? (Tucker)

Would You Have Replaced Tucker for 2014?

• Yes: Worst D in franchise history, avg 27th yrds 5 of 6 yrs.

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • No: don't fire DC after 1 yr. D lost 5 starters for yr, & Briggs 7 wks. He's best avl.

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Yes Only If: Would only have replaced Tucker if decidedly better DC agreed to sign.

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Don't Know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
What Would You have Done About Our 2014 DC?

• The 2013 Bears Defense was the worst in franchise history (worst in points, rushing yards and total yards).
  • Last year, under DC Marinelli the Bears Defense was ranked in the top 5.
  • Bears first year 2013 DC was Mel Tucker. This was Tucker's 6 straight year as a DC.
  • Tucker's NFL Defensive ranks were (08 to 13) Points: 16, 24, 27, 11, 29, 30 (Avg 23). Yards: 26, 23, 28, 6, 30, 30 (Avg 19).
  • Bears 2013 Defense lost 5 starters early for the year (Melton, Collins, Tillman, Williams, Hayden), and one starter for 7 weeks (Briggs), of which were 3 probowlers.

Would you have looked to replace Tucker? Would you have fired Tucker? Who would you have replaced him with?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Considering Tucker's 6 year ranking as DC, especially 2012 and 2013...

DC Defensive Rank in NFL:
yearpointsyards
I would have looked hard for a better replacement. But I wouldn't have fired him if it was 50/50 I'd get the same or a worse DC.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I probably would have just dumped him and hired Horton or someone else. That's why I'm here though. :lol:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I mean you have everyone but Jennings, Briggs, Frey, Shea, Bass, Washington, Greene and Bostic coming off of contract. This would have been the perfect time to dump Tucker. Alas, I hope I'm wrong.

I'm assuming Peppers/Conte are cut.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I mean you have everyone but Jennings, Briggs, Frey, Shea, Bass, Washington, Greene and Bostic coming off of contract. This would have been the perfect time to dump Tucker. Alas, I hope I'm wrong.

I'm assuming Peppers/Conte are cut.
Yes, it would have been a good time for a new DC.

I'd assume Peppers is either cut or restructured. Conte is under his rookie contract, and not expensive. So I expect Conte back to compete for a starting position. If a better player starts, Conte is a reasonably priced experienced backup, don't ya think?

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Personally, I didn't like that hire to begin with. After a terrible year by the defense, I definitely would have let Tucker go.

Now if the Bears look for defenders that fit Mel's defense and the defense sucks again, they'll fire Tucker and hire a new guy. What if the new guy is running a scheme that the guys we brought in for Tucker don't fit in? Are we gonna have to revamp the D again?

I would have just preferred to start over completely fresh on D. New players and coaches.

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
Personally, I didn't like that hire to begin with. After a terrible year by the defense, I definitely would have let Tucker go.

Now if the Bears look for defenders that fit Mel's defense and the defense sucks again, they'll fire Tucker and hire a new guy. What if the new guy is running a scheme that the guys we brought in for Tucker don't fit in? Are we gonna have to revamp the D again?

I would have just preferred to start over completely fresh on D. New players and coaches.

At first i was skeptical of the hire. When i learned we wouldnt resign urlacher over a 1 million dollar difference than i hated the hire. The preseason i felt good about the d and thought the 3rd preseason dress rehearsal was our team. Then we bench bostic for a williams. The defense looks noticeably weaker. And gets weaker week to week until the season ended.
Yea it looks like 17 out of 18 people would have replaced him, its weird how the bears FO agrees with the 1%.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Considering Tucker's 6 year ranking as DC, especially 2012 and 2013...

DC Defensive Rank in NFL:
yearpointsyards
I would have looked hard for a better replacement. But I wouldn't have fired him if it was 50/50 I'd get the same or a worse DC.

Can you name a single good player Tucker had to work with prior to coming to Chicago? I looked at all those rosters, and I could only find one: Shaun Rogers. And as soon as Tucker showed up here, every one of his best players was injured or aged in dog years over the offseason. If you fire Tucker, who do you replace him with? The only realistic name I've seen was Frazier (before he was hired), and even he isn't anything special as a DC. Sure, he had some nice defenses in MIN but he also had much more talent than Tucker has ever had, including one heck of a DL for a few years.

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
Yes, it would have been a good time for a new DC.

I'd assume Peppers is either cut or restructured. Conte is under his rookie contract, and not expensive. So I expect Conte back to compete for a starting position. If a better player starts, Conte is a reasonably priced experienced backup, don't ya think?

Conte on STs might work.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
He worked with Daryl Smith. One of the most underrated LBs in the league