Whats the next step for the Chicago Bears?

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1.Imo we first need to get better offensive linemen.We need to get Cutler some protection if we think he will become the elite QB we know he can be. 2.Get some new cornerbacks(imo I really think ours don't cut it,we get burned a lot by receivers) 3.Find a number 1 receiver.All of our receivers are good but none of them are number 1 receivers.
I dont know what our money situation looks like right now and if someone could post it on here that would be great and would make things alot clearer about what we can do.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I think upgrading the offensive line and picking up a big time WR is the only thing that can help this team. We have some solid youth on the team that seems to be on the up and up. Hopefully draft Casey Mathews and hope he is the living breathing twin of Clay.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
OL OL OL and find a No. 1 WR cause Johnny Knox, while a speed demon, is a terrible #1 WR...I think he's responsible for 90% of the INTs this year with his complete inability to fight for position or the ball.

To me, OL is the first priority.

We also do need to look at our D. I do think we'll need cornerback help, as I have not been impressed with the secondary, and DJ Moore and Tim Jennings are really two undersized to defend most WRs in this league (Moore makes a great nickle though).

And as I have been saying, as Rush has also pointed out, is finding a good linebacker to bring up and eventually replace Urlacher.

WearShades

Liked Posts:
I think upgrading the offensive line and picking up a big time WR is the only thing that can help this team. We have some solid youth on the team that seems to be on the up and up. Hopefully draft Casey Mathews and hope he is the living breathing twin of Clay.

If there's a player in this draft that is similar to Clay Matthews it's Brooks Reed, the DE from Arizona. He's a 3-4 LB who plays a lot like Matthews, though some have said he's going to cut weight so he can play LB in the 4-3.

Cover3

wat
Liked Posts:
I would like to see a good DT being brought in, the kind of guy who can push the pocket at times

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. O-Line! Cutler and Forte benefit from a solid front. 2. #1 WR would be a plus, but I still think management is content... 3. DT. Sorry Tommy, but you aint what you couldve been.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Oline, a #1 receiver and some young blood in the defense.

Adog06

Liked Posts:
Pretty much the same opinion as you guys. If anything we need a 1 and a 2 at the receiver position. But yes Oline is a HUGE priority. Angelo better not give us the continuity speech about the Oline and how he loves our wide receiving core. Maybe this draft they look to making this Defense a little younger.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
Some OL's are the most obvious and serious investments that need addressed, but compared to the first part of the year I think we're closer to a more complete team than people take for granted. And when I say complete I mean in terms of a team that can work together in all three phases. Sure, part of the defense is aging, so we'll be need to draft an LB (I'll be glad Hunter should be healthy next year), along with an NT and MAYBE a CB if they can afford. Offense-wise, besides the line and a WR, I don't think we need anything else.

On another note, I'd like to say that there is a lot of room for Da Bears to rise and I'm certain that they'll be busting roofs next season. How they turned this year around from 2009 with Martz and some smarter D, I just don't see them retracting like they did after the SB. This year was just a stepping stone onto the next level and I can very easily see a SB win in the next 2 years. However, Cutler is part of the key to that. If he can pick himself up over this loss, he'll further transform his abilities that should be complemented by next years additions.

Bear Down!

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
We also need to get someone in there to help work on fine-tuning Cutler's mechanics during off-season. I don't think anyone here would disagree that if Cutler could master the fundamentals he could be a phenomenal QB. It's aggravating to watch him make incredible progress in one game, then go back to throwing off his back foot in another. Cutler could easily own Chicago. The only person standing in his way is himself.

Of course all of this takes a backseat to patching up the OL.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
We also need to get someone in there to help work on fine-tuning Cutler's mechanics during off-season. I don't think anyone here would disagree that if Cutler could master the fundamentals he could be a phenomenal QB. It's aggravating to watch him make incredible progress in one game, then go back to throwing off his back foot in another. Cutler could easily own Chicago. The only person standing in his way is himself.

Of course all of this takes a backseat to patching up the OL.

Keeping Martz in place does help that. Having a full offseason in which he already knows and doesn't have to learn a new offense gives them time to focus more on fundamentals and he'll be having the same voice of Martz teaching him these things.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
If there's a player in this draft that is similar to Clay Matthews it's Brooks Reed, the DE from Arizona. He's a 3-4 LB who plays a lot like Matthews, though some have said he's going to cut weight so he can play LB in the 4-3.

Amen.

Ive seen him play 2 years here at Arizona and the guy is a stud...

Plus, he has the Matthews-esque hair :)

thedude33

Liked Posts:
Get the best damn players you can in the draft. The team needs more talent, especially on offense. And Cutler needs to work on his mechanics and leadership presence.

WearShades

Liked Posts:
Amen.

Ive seen him play 2 years here at Arizona and the guy is a stud...

Plus, he has the Matthews-esque hair :)

Glad to see I'm not the only one who believes in him. I saw him blow up my Hawkeyes early in the season and started to pay close attention. He's going to be a second-third round steal for someone.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Glad to see I'm not the only one who believes in him. I saw him blow up my Hawkeyes early in the season and started to pay close attention. He's going to be a second-third round steal for someone.

Ya I was at that game...in the student section.

Awesome game! ;)

I agree he will be a steal, and i hope someone moves him to LB, because he played DE at Arizona!

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A real #1 WR. Stop pretending these guys are ABC #1's.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
our number 1 problem is JA but thats not gonna go away so O-line, WR, and CB

Pre

Liked Posts:
We need an entirely new offensive line, a defensive tackle, a couple of good receivers, a corner, and a short-yardage back. How much of that do we actually accomplish?

Probably very little.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
The OL has been neglected for half a decade, Williams is a bust.

Draft this guy for starters:

Name: DeMarcus Love
College: Arkansas Number: 65
Height: 6-5 Weight: 318
Position: OT Pos2: OG
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2011
40 Time: 5.18 40 Low: 5.09 40 High: 5.30
Projected Round: 2 Stock:
Rated number 6 out of 169 OT's 46 / 2687 TOTAL