Whats the next step for the Chicago Bears?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Get the best damn players you can in the draft. The team needs more talent, especially on offense. And Cutler needs to work on his mechanics and leadership presence.

LOL.

STFU.

Anyways:

Whether through draft or Free Agency:

WR, OL, DT, CB.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Leadership presence? wtf is that?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I say

1. Draft a OL
2. Try and get a #1 WR. Probably won't happen in the draft, maybe through a trade?
3. Get some youth on the defense. (LB, CB, DL)

WearShades

Liked Posts:
I say

1. Draft a OL
2. Try and get a #1 WR. Probably won't happen in the draft, maybe through a trade?
3. Get some youth on the defense. (LB, CB, DL)

Given where the Bears are drafting they could get that #1 receiver. A.J. Green and Julio Jones will be gone but Jon Baldwin has a strong chance of still being available. After him there's Torrey Smith who's also in that late first/early second round territory. The Bears would be wise to address the offensive line but they have to go for the best player available even if that isn't oline. There will be decide linemen in the second and third rounds as well.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Given where the Bears are drafting they could get that #1 receiver. A.J. Green and Julio Jones will be gone but Jon Baldwin has a strong chance of still being available. After him there's Torrey Smith who's also in that late first/early second round territory. The Bears would be wise to address the offensive line but they have to go for the best player available even if that isn't oline. There will be decide linemen in the second and third rounds as well.

True.

Didn't think about Baldwin. Interesting to see what the Bears will do especially where they are at in the draft.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
True.

Didn't think about Baldwin. Interesting to see what the Bears will do especially where they are at in the draft.

I was looking for a draft thread here this AM, couldn't find one. Why not do something that has never been done by JA...trade up rather than down?.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
The OL has been neglected for half a decade, Williams is a bust.

Draft this guy for starters:

Name: DeMarcus Love
College: Arkansas Number: 65
Height: 6-5 Weight: 318
Position: OT Pos2: OG
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2011
40 Time: 5.18 40 Low: 5.09 40 High: 5.30
Projected Round: 2 Stock:
Rated number 6 out of 169 OT's 46 / 2687 TOTAL

Williams a bust???? Based on what exactly? I'd like to know how your facts line up that he can't still be the teams starting LT.

Line has been ignored for a decade? You got a pretty bad memory then. So when in the span of two years they signed high end OL FAs in Tait and Brown then midrange pickups of Garza and Miller they were neglecting the line? Signing potential starting tackles in Omiyale and Shaffer? Signing Orlando Pace, drafting Josh Beekman?

No not neglected at all, just not heavily draft oriented. JA's philosophy is draft D and sign FA OL for the most part. He has done that and hasn't neglected the unit. You can say the pickups of the last 4 years have been BAD, but he didn't neglect it except maybe last year but they were stacked with already recent developing draft picks. People were clamoring they should of drafted a 6th round guard but what makes a rookie 6th rounder a better prospect to start than 2 2nd year player late round draft pick guards in Louis and Williams? Nothing, just the fan perspective isn't settled that way.

BTW, Love is not a good prospect, watch some of his games, you should of watched the bowl game where his play made Omiyale look like a good LT in comparison. Love was whooped and gets beat in pass rush a lot.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Williams a bust???? Based on what exactly? I'd like to know how your facts line up that he can't still be the teams starting LT.

Line has been ignored for a decade? You got a pretty bad memory then. So when in the span of two years they signed high end OL FAs in Tait and Brown then midrange pickups of Garza and Miller they were neglecting the line? Signing potential starting tackles in Omiyale and Shaffer? Signing Orlando Pace, drafting Josh Beekman?

No not neglected at all, just not heavily draft oriented. JA's philosophy is draft D and sign FA OL for the most part. He has done that and hasn't neglected the unit. You can say the pickups of the last 4 years have been BAD, but he didn't neglect it except maybe last year but they were stacked with already recent developing draft picks. People were clamoring they should of drafted a 6th round guard but what makes a rookie 6th rounder a better prospect to start than 2 2nd year player late round draft pick guards in Louis and Williams? Nothing, just the fan perspective isn't settled that way.

BTW, Love is not a good prospect, watch some of his games, you should of watched the bowl game where his play made Omiyale look like a good LT in comparison. Love was whooped and gets beat in pass rush a lot.

Allow me to begin at the beginning then, Williams is a bust. At the very least, not a first rounder. Both his hands and feet were once again out of position Sunday. He's had the necessary time to correct said mechanics, and has failed to do so.

And I said half a decade, during which time JA has repeatedly attempted unsuccessful patch jobs with declining players. At least he didn't bite on Faneca, just took the leftovers that year.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Allow me to begin at the beginning then, Williams is a bust. At the very least, not a first rounder. Both his hands and feet were once again out of position Sunday. He's had the necessary time to correct said mechanics, and has failed to do so.

And I said half a decade, during which time JA has repeatedly attempted unsuccessful patch jobs with declining players. At least he didn't bite on Faneca, just took the leftovers that year.

Sorry but that's false. 3 years doesn't make you a bust ever, at least not if your still a player with the opportunity to start near to your projected level.

His play while learning guard on the spot doesn't make him a bust. His play next season will dictate if he is a bust or not. If he goes into the year continuing to be a guard and learning guard, unless he bulks up a lot of mass and plays at a great level.

If he moves back to LT, where he has about 5-6? Starts and played his best there mostly good in those games too? Week 1 he was pushed around a lot in the run game by Shaffer and some rush but he lead up no sacks. Week 2, I mentioned before because tons of meatheads where screaming he is a bust and that he got his ass handed to him by Ware... yet Williams played 3 snaps in that game before being hurt. 1 against Ware in which Williams handled Ware and Jay was sacked from the other side by a free unblocked rusher. The other two plays 1 was a run Williams was on the DE and blocked him well and the other was a pass but Ware was blocked by Manu. Pointing out there is very little reason to believe he can't still play LT at a good level.

I also bring up the point that many combine reports of Williams had people saying he may be best suited to start his first year or two at guard then move to LT once he is comfortable in the NFL. Why that wouldn't happen I dont know but it's the expert Tice's opinion now.

JA's O-line attempts have been Unsuccessful, yes, doing something unsuccessfully isn't neglecting. Omiyale or Edwin Williams were not declining, they were players with little experience but future potential to grow. Williams, Beekman, Louis, and Webb were all draft picks who got opportunities to play regardless of draft positions, which matters not once camp hits.

With the old guys though sometimes you have to take the risk. He took the risk on Ruben Brown and it paid off big time with 2 great years leading to a NFC Championship.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Sorry but that's false. 3 years doesn't make you a bust ever, at least not if your still a player with the opportunity to start near to your projected level.

His play while learning guard on the spot doesn't make him a bust. His play next season will dictate if he is a bust or not. If he goes into the year continuing to be a guard and learning guard, unless he bulks up a lot of mass and plays at a great level.

If he moves back to LT, where he has about 5-6? Starts and played his best there mostly good in those games too? Week 1 he was pushed around a lot in the run game by Shaffer and some rush but he lead up no sacks. Week 2, I mentioned before because tons of meatheads where screaming he is a bust and that he got his ass handed to him by Ware... yet Williams played 3 snaps in that game before being hurt. 1 against Ware in which Williams handled Ware and Jay was sacked from the other side by a free unblocked rusher. The other two plays 1 was a run Williams was on the DE and blocked him well and the other was a pass but Ware was blocked by Manu. Pointing out there is very little reason to believe he can't still play LT at a good level.

I also bring up the point that many combine reports of Williams had people saying he may be best suited to start his first year or two at guard then move to LT once he is comfortable in the NFL. Why that wouldn't happen I dont know but it's the expert Tice's opinion now.

JA's O-line attempts have been Unsuccessful, yes, doing something unsuccessfully isn't neglecting. Omiyale or Edwin Williams were not declining, they were players with little experience but future potential to grow. Williams, Beekman, Louis, and Webb were all draft picks who got opportunities to play regardless of draft positions, which matters not once camp hits.

With the old guys though sometimes you have to take the risk. He took the risk on Ruben Brown and it paid off big time with 2 great years leading to a NFC Championship.

Where do people come up with this 3 year success rate nonsense?. I didn't see Ryan Clady(remember him?)taking this amount of time to "learn the position". And speaking of combine, had the Bears bothered to read the medical reports on Williams we wouldn't be having this conversation...then again maybe we would...lol.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Where do people come up with this 3 year success rate nonsense?. I didn't see Ryan Clady(remember him?)taking this amount of time to "learn the position". And speaking of combine, had the Bears bothered to read the medical reports on Williams we wouldn't be having this conversation...then again maybe we would...lol.

If you say he is a bust but then becomes good-great after 3 years of playing what does that equal? It just means your wrong, BUST is a label of being done and over-with, a failure. He isn't officially a failure yet. You could say his first 3 years were shitty due to plenty of factors, but those factors show anyone with insight he isn't one you can write off just yet. You can say you think he will be a bust, but the evidence on that is a lot weaker than the media and your opinion would like to believe.

Ryan Clady is a different player in from a different situation who was also a higher rated prospect. Because player X did something doesn't equate to anything. Comparing him to X is useless at this point. Williams play for the future is what you compare.

If you actually followed the reports also, you would know the medical issue was never minimal. It was reported by Mike Mayock that 2-4 teams took him off their draft board because of his medical report. Most teams realized it was one issue and even with it, Chris Williams had never missed a game nor a single practice at Vanderbilt ever! Despite that, Williams was still more of a project player. The bears management probably made a stupid move by moving him to RT and Omiyale to LG when neither are fits for those positions but much better for the opposite ones. Maybe seeing former analysis of Williams likely future would show you how it doesn't mean he is a bust nor a possible good LT

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Chris Williams
"Williams might be a better fit at guard early in his career, so as not to expose him against speedy edge rushers. He can mirror the quicker defender in the short area, but he is marginal taking on second-level defenders and needs to improve taking proper angles when working in space. He has the frame to get bigger, but needs to play with more tenacity. He is a smart student, but will miss a few assignments due to mental lapses. With just adequate hip snap, he would be a liability starting at left tackle as a rookie, but he has the makeup, size and desire to improve."

Last edited:

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
If you say he is a bust but then becomes good-great after 3 years of playing what does that equal? It just means your wrong, BUST is a label of being done and over-with, a failure. He isn't officially a failure yet. You could say his first 3 years were shitty due to plenty of factors, but those factors show anyone with insight he isn't one you can write off just yet. You can say you think he will be a bust, but the evidence on that is a lot weaker than the media and your opinion would like to believe.

Ryan Clady is a different player in from a different situation who was also a higher rated prospect. Because player X did something doesn't equate to anything. Comparing him to X is useless at this point. Williams play for the future is what you compare.

If you actually followed the reports also, you would know the medical issue was never minimal. It was reported by Mike Mayock that 2-4 teams took him off their draft board because of his medical report. Most teams realized it was one issue and even with it, Chris Williams had never missed a game nor a single practice at Vanderbilt ever! Despite that, Williams was still more of a project player. The bears management probably made a stupid move by moving him to RT and Omiyale to LG when neither are fits for those positions but much better for the opposite ones. Maybe seeing former analysis of Williams likely future would show you how it doesn't mean he is a bust nor a possible good LT

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Chris Williams
"Williams might be a better fit at guard early in his career, so as not to expose him against speedy edge rushers. He can mirror the quicker defender in the short area, but he is marginal taking on second-level defenders and needs to improve taking proper angles when working in space. He has the frame to get bigger, but needs to play with more tenacity. He is a smart student, but will miss a few assignments due to mental lapses. With just adequate hip snap, he would be a liability starting at left tackle as a rookie, but he has the makeup, size and desire to improve."

OK, before I read this dissertation allow me to re-define the term bust as it relates to my own perspective/perception. As it relates to the Bears and their drafting in particular, I see Williams as a bust in that he was not worth a first round pick. He was drafted with the knowledge that he may require corrective surgery, and therefore would require a longer period of time to "learn the position". He isn't a "bust" as all would assign to a Stan Thomas or a Tony Mandarich.

And why didn't JA trade up for Clady?

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
The Bears could have passed on Marcus Harrison and Earl Bennett to move up 2 spots for Clady.

Next question?.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
OK, before I read this dissertation allow me to re-define the term bust as it relates to my own perspective/perception. As it relates to the Bears and their drafting in particular, I see Williams as a bust in that he was not worth a first round pick. He was drafted with the knowledge that he may require corrective surgery, and therefore would require a longer period of time to "learn the position". He isn't a "bust" as all would assign to a Stan Thomas or a Tony Mandarich.

And why didn't JA trade up for Clady?

Your not one who takes your own words to heart are you?

That's a lot of if's, but we all have the luxury of second-guessing.

Fitting a term to your perspective doesn't provide anything. All it shows it that you have an opinion established already. Bust is a term generally with one meaning though, unlike the terms Elite or #1 WR. Bust is a player who failed and to develop as a quality starter. If Chris Williams becomes a quality starter at LT in the next season, in hindsight down the line nobody will say he is a bust, they'll say he was a slow starter who needed to develop.

You don't do things in reverse order and say he is a bust until he proves not to be. He hasn't yet busted his chance to be a good LT. If he is just a guard then he'll be a bust, just like Tony Mandarich, who was a bust but became a good guard for the Colts years later.

There's one thing I don't get about these message boards lately, the desire to express ones opinion. Nobody's opinion here is going to give any insight to the decisions made or the likely outcomes.

Last edited:

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
"Nobody's opinion here is going to give any insight to the decisions made or the likely outcomes."

The same could be said of all MB's, players or management rarely bother to read the "official" MB's either. The press read b/c they have to, most journalists have zero playing experience and even less coaching.

Your typing style reminds me of the latter.

xCraCKz

Liked Posts:
I think upgrading the offensive line and picking up a big time WR is the only thing that can help this team. We have some solid youth on the team that seems to be on the up and up. Hopefully draft Casey Mathews and hope he is the living breathing twin of Clay.

I've been praying we snag him this year, I said it at the beginning of the year that I want to see Casey in a Bears uniform. Offensive Line and push for a #1 Receiver.

Ken7057

Liked Posts:

TOTAL

I agree with you about Williams. Without knowing specific stats or how other draft players are doing, just from watching the game there has been too many times where his man breaks through in under 3 seconds, or situations where he blocks the wrong guy and goes 2 on 1 on a DT and allows someone to run right by him.

Too many times this season have we seen our QB on the ground and the some of the O-Line standing around.

FQD1911

War-Time Consigliere
Liked Posts:

Draft this guy for starters:

Name: DeMarcus Love
College: Arkansas Number: 65
Height: 6-5 Weight: 318
Position: OT Pos2: OG
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2011
40 Time: 5.18 40 Low: 5.09 40 High: 5.30
Projected Round: 2 Stock:
Rated number 6 out of 169 OT's 46 / 2687 TOTAL

he's from my alma mater...trust me: D-Love's the real deal. he was Mallett's LT during his tenure and Mallett's a STATUE!!!! seriously, Peyton and Tom could beat him in the 40. but, not many teams got to him (and in the SEC too). we're talking about Alabama, Auburn, LSU....teams that put in 1st rounders on defense every single year; D-Love's the truth.

looked at Kiper's Big Board (and whatever McShay calls his shit) and didn't see D-Love on either. maybe Tice will whisper in Jerry's ear and take him...