When do the Bears draft a DE?

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
The Bears just signed Willie Young to a 3 year contract and I was wondering what round the Bears might draft a defensive end in the 2014 NFL draft. I don't if Young will be a starter or a rotational player.

swz01

Liked Posts:
2nd or 3rd. I don't like the DE's available around the 1st round pick

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The first time a player they think is a perfect fit is higher rated than DT, S, CB, or MLB

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:
You can get a guy like Ed Stinson in the late 6th round.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
possibly 1st pick. emery will find someone he thinks is a world beater and will be gone in 2nd rd and shock the world. right now hes 1 and 1.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
If Crichton fell all the way to our 2nd that'd be awesome. Don't want to reach for any DEs in this draft though.

Liked Posts:
...In the second round immediately after they draft Donald.

Kodiak

Liked Posts:
I like Will Clarke in the 3rd. At 6'6", 270, he is quick with speed. Flexible, with great bend around the edge. Scheme versatile. Can play inside. Untapped. Great upside. Strength to handle run, as well.

1. Gilbert
2. Bucannon
3. Clarke

But, if I were a betting man, which I am not, I would also bet somehow, someway, Emery is gonna find an extra 3rd round pick in a deep-depth draft. Kelsey Quarles, DeQuan Jones at DT would be great value if they were there.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Ideally they should take the DE in the first round based on the value of the position and needs of the team. Willie Young isn't the kind the player that you pass on a top level DE in the draft, and the fact they are paying him backup type money only makes it more likely that a rookie can come in and compete with him for playing time.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What about Stanford's Murphy if he was there in the third and will he be there in the third?

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
Ideally they should take the DE in the first round based on the value of the position and needs of the team. Willie Young isn't the kind the player that you pass on a top level DE in the draft, and the fact they are paying him backup type money only makes it more likely that a rookie can come in and compete with him for playing time.

There's just no DE's worthy of the 14th pick.

What about Stanford's Murphy if he was there in the third and will he be there in the third?

I would maybe think about it but it sounds like Murphy has been getting talked about pretty negatively after the college bowl/camp/combine circuit.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Will Clarke in the 3rd. At 6'6", 270, he is quick with speed. Flexible, with great bend around the edge. Scheme versatile. Can play inside. Untapped. Great upside. Strength to handle run, as well.

1. Gilbert
2. Bucannon
3. Clarke

But, if I were a betting man, which I am not, I would also bet somehow, someway, Emery is gonna find an extra 3rd round pick in a deep-depth draft. Kelsey Quarles, DeQuan Jones at DT would be great value if they were there.
Briggs would be the only way with Bostic best suited to slide into that space

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I think the DE are bad value this year. I am very disappointed in the position. I wouldn't mind grabbing Dee Ford, but 14 is too high for him. Finding a young guy in the draft to play DE should be a high priority, I just believe there is a good chance we draft a bust in the 2nd round-4th rounds. I would probably wait until the 5th or 6th round.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:

1. Gilbert
2. Bucannon
3. Clarke

I think Will Clarke is a decent prospect that could develop, but I don't think we have to use a 3rd on him, 4th at the earliest, maybe he slides to 5th or 6th.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would draft a backup running back / Forte replacement before I considered picking up another TE. At this point a 2nd TE is a luxury and a backup RB is still a need which should no longer be filled through FA. We already wasted enough money on three consecutive FA RBs.

Edit: LOL I misread the title as TE for some reason. Ignore me.

Last edited: