Which 2021 First-Round QB Revives His Career?

Which 2021 First-Round QB Revives His Career?

• Total voters

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I am sure it has been discussed before, but I wanted to hear where people are feeling today.

For a comparison, it took Geno Smith into his 30s to get another starting gig and keep it. Zach Wilson struggles and if the Jets are lucky, he will learn something behind a relatively healthy Rodgers. Trey Lance is a backup to Dak Prescott, Justin Fields is backing up Russell Wilson, and Mac Jones is holding a clipboard for Trevor Lawrence.

I think that Fields gets the first chance to earn a starting role, because I expect Wilson to struggle. I do hold out hope for him to succeed, but maybe I am just sentimental. I think Trey Lance always needed time and coaching, so I also think he has a shot to turn it around, but I doubt it is with Dallas. For either of these two, a solid performance in relief of an injured or ineffective starter could boost their chances to earn a starting role on a new team next year.

I would bet that Wilson is the first one out of the league, but who knows! So the question is, who among these QBs do you think will get another chance to succeed, and do well with it?

greg23

Liked Posts:
With the proper coaching, wr's, oline, owners, hc, oc, defense, weather and schedule.....Fields is a HOF level QB.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
You know...it might go down as one of the most overrated QB classes of all time. At this point, I guess it depends on if Trevor Lawrence can live up to his "best prospect since Manning" hype.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
You know...it might go down as one of the most overrated QB classes of all time. At this point, I guess it depends on if Trevor Lawrence can live up to his "best prospect since Manning" hype.
Well, most first round QBs fail to perform up to expectations. If this were the most overrated class, it would be because there were so many drafted in the first round.

But still, the NFL has a few guys that bloom late. Any of these guys will get another chance before they hand 'em up. Some will get two; the league is desperate for QB talent.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Without giving a specific answer, my response is whoever gives the QB a combination of a good offensive line, good weapons and a good passing scheme, plus a running game.

Trey Lance had all of that but injury kept him from really having a chance so far. Has he learned enough to be able to be effective if given a chance with one elite WR, an aging line (?), a dated offensive scheme and no running game?

Have the Jets improved enough to have their starting QB play at least one complete series during the season? They have a good running game and WRs. The scheme is not new to Wilson so that is an advantage, an advantage not yet exploited.

Is Lawrence fragile enough to even give Mac Jones a chance to start and would Jones be able to take advantage of the opportunity, if so?

Fields walks onto a team with a rebuilding offensive line, a running game with potential, a new OC and scheme, and at least one good WR. Though the offense is new to him, it is also new to Wilson and, because of age, Fields has a realistic chance of winning the starting job soon, if not week 1.

As for the starter retiring, I believe Aaron Rodgers will probably retire before Russell does.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
None. They're all toast at this point.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I don't see Fields suddenly learning to process noticeably better several years into his NFL career. But I think we will see his speed and elusive nature slowly erode as he rides up to age 30 and beyond. The rest are pretty clearly finished. So I wouldn't think anyone on that list grows into a starter for any real period of time.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They were all traded for scraps. It’s hard to come back from that in the NFL. The perception is set and their worth is defined. Also, with every draft, in comes a new flow of young, cheap talent. Obviously, it can happen, but I’d say the odds are against each of them.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I would love for Fields to become a serviceable starter somewhere in the AFC.

However at this point, I think Fields best chance will be to become a journeyman starter that will bounce around the league and start in stretches while teams look for his replacement via the draft.

Bort

Liked Posts:
I am sure it has been discussed before, but I wanted to hear where people are feeling today.

For a comparison, it took Geno Smith into his 30s to get another starting gig and keep it. Zach Wilson struggles and if the Jets are lucky, he will learn something behind a relatively healthy Rodgers. Trey Lance is a backup to Dak Prescott, Justin Fields is backing up Russell Wilson, and Mac Jones is holding a clipboard for Trevor Lawrence.

I think that Fields gets the first chance to earn a starting role, because I expect Wilson to struggle. I do hold out hope for him to succeed, but maybe I am just sentimental. I think Trey Lance always needed time and coaching, so I also think he has a shot to turn it around, but I doubt it is with Dallas. For either of these two, a solid performance in relief of an injured or ineffective starter could boost their chances to earn a starting role on a new team next year.

I would bet that Wilson is the first one out of the league, but who knows! So the question is, who among these QBs do you think will get another chance to succeed, and do well with it?
Do you people even watch the games before spouting opinions on here? Wilson was not the issue in Denver last season. Wilson actually played extremely well on a bad Denver team.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do you people even watch the games before spouting opinions on here? Wilson was not the issue in Denver last season. Wilson actually played extremely well on a bad Denver team.
This. It's the best spot for Fields to acclimate to Wilson's style of play which likely fits him best if he's going to become anything but beat Wilson out?
:jonesy:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I think Mac Jones eventually gets his shit together enough to be a Mike Glennon style "not good enough to be a real starter but good enough to play 5 games then get benched by a rookie" level journeyman vet QB.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only one on that list that has not had a shot yet is Trey Lance due to injury. And even there, Shanahan picked Darnold as the backup over Lance before they traded him. Actually I don't really care about any of them. Focused on CW and Bagent.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don’t think any of them do but the one that has the highest probability, which isn’t that high, is easily Fields. I think Jax’ville signs Lawrence to a mega contract and then regrets it 2years in.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I don't see Fields suddenly learning to process noticeably better several years into his NFL career. But I think we will see his speed and elusive nature slowly erode as he rides up to age 30 and beyond. The rest are pretty clearly finished. So I wouldn't think anyone on that list grows into a starter for any real period of time.
Careful.....the fanboys will call you a hater, racist or someone is living rent free in your head

mecha

Liked Posts:
Careful.....the fanboys will call you a hater, racist or someone is living rent free in your head
fanboys of what? Fields? the only reason the Bears traded him for slightly more than a case of Gatorade is because CCS wanted him gone.

I know this.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I’d say none. It’s difficult to get another crack at the bull after a rookie contract expires. Teams would rather invest in another rookie due to the cost and potential long-term commitment or spend big in FA on an established veteran. All these guys have better odds being journeymen back ups now, but they will have to compete with Trubisky.