Which cornerbacks are getting cut?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah not everyone is gonna make the team, that's for sure and probably a player that many Bears fans are a fan of like McManis but i just don't see either DB of Shelley and definitely not Vildor getting put on the PS. Now IR is a different story cause they obviously can't be poached from us if put on IR.
When you go through the whole roster some hard decisions are going to have to be made. If you keep 12 DBs, which you will probably have to do to keep Roberson, Shelly, and Vildor, then you have to leave someone off somewhere else, and probably at a thinner position. I think long term I'd rather have Shelley than Josh Woods, but if you are talking about who is more important this year, it's gotta be Woods because of the lack of depth at ILB, for example.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Mingo.....you know....the 3rd OLB and likely core ST player we signed.....he's making the team

There is ZERO chance they only keep 3 OLB......ZERO......esp with your 3rd being a not really ready rookie from tulsa (he's fine as the 4th/5th OLB for now)

and RRH is not an OLB....clowns went over this last year....he's a dline and can play all three in obvious pass situations...he's not an EDGE/OLB.

Jenkins is a guy.....just like urban and anderson....thus he has a shot at making the roster just like those two....and really is the only bigger/run stopping backup NT on the roster.
You do know RRH played DE in college right? He obv isn't going to drop into coverage all the time. which dropping into coverage isn't unheard of to do, from time to time, if anything he is the only Dlineman that is capable of it on our Defense. Bears would pick up or move a ps guy up if a OLB went down but to say Mingo is a legit starter on this team is unbelievable. I have more trust in a 5th round rookie than that guy.

Mingo will be replaced with a different ST player. It's not fucking hard dude. I bet you fucking gushed all over Sam acho too.That guy was also fucking trash.

Id rather the bears go 4-2-5 the whole season than see John Jenkins touch the field.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I dont see why one cannot attempt to put Shelley or Vildor on the PS. If someone tries to sign them, we can cut Skrine, who didn't play poorly, but just doesnt work into the future plans of the team. Maybe Shelley takes a jump that makes him expendable from the get-go.

I guess they would have to pass waivers, but most teams are going to be making cuts at the same time, and signing their own favored guys. I'd say its a low risk for now.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
When you go through the whole roster some hard decisions are going to have to be made. If you keep 12 DBs, which you will probably have to do to keep Roberson, Shelly, and Vildor, then you have to leave someone off somewhere else, and probably at a thinner position. I think long term I'd rather have Shelley than Josh Woods, but if you are talking about who is more important this year, it's gotta be Woods because of the lack of depth at ILB, for example.

I'm hoping there's at least one more good depth signing coming from Pace which is a 3rd ILB cause i don't trust Woods or Iggy and don't know enough about the 2 UDFA's LB's we got in R.Smith (Florida Atlantic) except that he was a tackling machine, or the K.Jones (Maryland) kid but maybe Pace finds another legit UDFA which he's done pretty damn good with so far.

Someone also brought up maybe trying Lil Mac at ILB instead of OLB so we'll see but it would make me much more comfortable if he signed one in free agency and there's actually some good ones still out there.

A.Ogeltree--I have no idea how he's not signed anywhere yet but he'll be out of our price range anyway but he's a beast.
D.Lee
W.Woodyard
P.Brown
S.Anthony

Too bad Vontaze Burfict is such a fuck up cause the dude is a hell of a player but he's out there as well. Shit he might be on some type of suspension but Pace don't mess with guys like him anyway.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You do know RRH played DE in college right? He obv isn't going to drop into coverage all the time. which dropping into coverage isn't unheard of to do, from time to time, if anything he is the only Dlineman that is capable of it on our Defense. Bears would pick up or move a ps guy up if a OLB went down but to say Mingo is a legit starter on this team is unbelievable. I have more trust in a 5th round rookie than that guy.

Mingo will be replaced with a different ST player. It's not fucking hard dude. I bet you fucking gushed all over Sam acho too.That guy was also fucking trash.

Id rather the bears go 4-2-5 the whole season than see John Jenkins touch the field.

Actually we were playing RRH as a edge rusher when we first got him but then they had him put on more weight/muscle to play more inside and that's where he's pretty much stayed at since.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:

According to Hub Arkush, Woods is more secure than Iggy. In fact, I don't remember Iggy ever making a play. I am sure he has..just can't remember a single one.

greg23

Liked Posts:

Oh...he played de in a 4-3 defense in college?

By all means, count him as olb in the NFL20- 30 pounds later

Who said mingo is a legit starter?

He's the 3rd/4th olb with Gipson/Irving and likely core special teamer.

Jenkins/urban/Andersen.....who wants to see any of them on the field?

Back end guys on the 53 usually stink and make it due to versatility and or special teams

Applefan

Liked Posts:
I had to look it up.

He just didn't play defense. He got put on IR on nov 30th last season, before that he played a decent amount of ST. He got scratched from a couple, yea.

Not sure who you're thinking of but it wasnt him. He gets scratched every so often but plays most games.

McManis was the player who used the "Peanut punch" that forced a Raiders' fumble recovered by Prince at our goal line in London.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
According to Hub Arkush, Woods is more secure than Iggy. In fact, I don't remember Iggy ever making a play. I am sure he has..just can't remember a single one.

Only the fumble recovery for a td last preseason in a win.

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
Bears keep
Cornerbacks
Fuller
Johnson
Tolliver
Shelley
Skrine
Robertson or burns
Vildor

Safeties
Gipson
Jackson
Bush
Denmark
McManis or Carson

OLBs
Gipson
Mack
Quinn

DLine
Nichols
Rrh can double as OLB
Goldman
Hicks
Urban
Anderson or Mack.
Smith
Trevathan
Iggy
Woods
No Mingo? 3 or 4th pass rusher that might be moved to ILB

Last edited:

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
It’s probably time for Kyle Fuller to get cut. He’s taking up too much money that could be used on more important positions like signing more TE’s

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
why does everyone want Mingo ? I'd do anything to get rid of him and replace him with someone better for this team. The guy is actually garbage why is he even on this team, or in the NFL still ?!?! he has over 500 snaps on defense for the indy 2017 and seattle 2018 guess what his stat line was ?

GamesDef InterceptionsFumblesTackles
YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSIntYdsTDLngPDFFFmbFRYdsTDSkCombSoloAstTFLQBHitsSftyAV
201323CLElb51153000045.04229139123
201424CLELB51151100003001002.0422616386
201525CLElb51162170740.024159102
201626NWElb511610.01192102
201727INDlb5216600002303002.0473512794

GamesPass CoveragePass RushTackles
YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSIntTgtCmpCmp%YdsYds/CmpYds/TgtTDRatDADOTAirYACBltzHrryQBKDSkPrssCombMTklMTkl%
201828SEALB/rolb5116140242083.3%1799.07.5097.71.73414535211.0448814.3%
201929HOUlb521610100.0%1717.0079.210.07106220.04600.0%

greg23

Liked Posts:
why does everyone want Mingo ? I'd do anything to get rid of him and replace him with someone better for this team. The guy is actually garbage why is he even on this team, or in the NFL still ?!?! he has over 500 snaps on defense for the indy 2017 and seattle 2018 guess what his stat line was ?

GamesDef InterceptionsFumblesTackles
YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSIntYdsTDLngPDFFFmbFRYdsTDSkCombSoloAstTFLQBHitsSftyAV
201323CLElb51153000045.04229139123
201424CLELB51151100003001002.0422616386
201525CLElb51162170740.024159102
201626NWElb511610.01192102
201727INDlb5216600002303002.0473512794

GamesPass CoveragePass RushTackles
YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSIntTgtCmpCmp%YdsYds/CmpYds/TgtTDRatDADOTAirYACBltzHrryQBKDSkPrssCombMTklMTkl%
201828SEALB/rolb5116140242083.3%1799.07.5097.71.73414535211.0448814.3%
201929HOUlb521610100.0%1717.0079.210.07106220.04600.0%

And your only other OLB is a 5th round rookie who prob isnt ready????

We're keeping 4 and likely 5 olb and mingo is currently in that group (with Irving and gipson)

Until someone else is signed he's on the gameday active roster in a backup role on defense and likely playing 4 phases in ST

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
And your only other OLB is a 5th round rookie who prob isnt ready????

We're keeping 4 and likely 5 olb and mingo is currently in that group (with Irving and gipson)

Until someone else is signed he's on the gameday active roster in a backup role on defense and likely playing 4 phases in ST

we haven't kept 5 OLB since Vic Fangio was hired. why are you turning this into a numbers thing ? we have ILB that can fill the role of ST, Mingo shouldn't be on the bears roster for any reason. if we lose both quinn and or mack the bears will have to go 4-2-5 the whole season, using RRH in a desperate 3-4 formation as our OLB/EDGE/DE whatever the fuck u want to make it. Irving will be in PS or we'd have someone else waiting to move up to take on that depth spot.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

@wazzupi @greg23

The Bears did bring in Barkevious Mingo as a potential all-purpose type of linebacker and he has truly done this in his career. He's played an outside linebacker in the 4-3, which equated to playing the inside in the 3-4. He's also been an outside linebacker in the 3-4 as an edge rusher without much success. He was an outside linebacker last year in a 4-3 with Seattle and has only 10 career sacks.

What Mingo has really done well is play special teams, and it's going to be a vital role. He did this for special teams coordinator Chris Tabor in Cleveland and played a role of sub for Chuck Pagano's last 3-4 defense in Indianapolis, with six starts in 2017.

Mingo is more of a Kevin Pierre-Louis type of player than an edge rusher at 6-5, 235.

Last edited:

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I've been trying to figure this out since the draft. Help me out here. Of note, we have:
  1. Kyle Fuller
  2. Jaylon Johnson
  3. Buster Skrine
  4. Duke Shelley
  5. Kevin Tolliver
  6. Sherrick McManis
  7. Artie Burns
  8. Tre Roberson
  9. Kindle Vildor
We know Fuller, Johnson and Skrine aren't going anywhere. McManis is a special teams ace. That leaves room for 2 more out of Shelley/Vildor/Roberson/Tolliver/Burns. What's this picture shake out as?

I think you will see tolliver get a shot before they hand it to johnson

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They just resigned McManis a couple weeks ago. I think he sticks.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
McManis has been a good ST player for years, thus he has stuck around. But I think those who have said this earlier could very well be right - he offers little to nothing defensively, and with so many other options to play CB, it seems his time could very well be up. With all the people they have brought in, somebody surely has to be able to replace McManis on ST

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
we haven't kept 5 OLB since Vic Fangio was hired. why are you turning this into a numbers thing ? we have ILB that can fill the role of ST, Mingo shouldn't be on the bears roster for any reason. if we lose both quinn and or mack the bears will have to go 4-2-5 the whole season, using RRH in a desperate 3-4 formation as our OLB/EDGE/DE whatever the fuck u want to make it. Irving will be in PS or we'd have someone else waiting to move up to take on that depth spot.
I disagree. Mingo is a racecar package guy. You would put him in when you take out Goldman.

Bringing him on stunts or posdibly dropping him into coverage for a 3 rush with mack hicks and Quinn

Having mingo, smith, Trevathan falling into coverage with 5 dbs in a man zone mix would be ideal against proliffic passers

Especially when a QB spy is needed