Which gm is the worst?

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
wow sounds like you have a thing for emery and somehow blocked out the bad, hanging onto shea too long? how about drafting shea period...
in three drafts by emery alshon, long, fuller and leno are still playing at a relatively high level in the nfl...Everyone remember shea, bostic, greene, hardin, ferguson, sutton are just a few that highlight emery's not so good picks...

"His FA signings and trades were good too." - must have been a cutler fan as emery gave huge money to that sucktard...rubbed fan favorite urlacher the wrong way...
good signings - young, bennett, marshall(at the time) and slauson...not so good signings like jared allen, houston, mundy.

angelo is clearly the worst as he has the longest history to dissect. Miss after miss on 1st round picks, refused to address the oline and claimed its just a matter of them gelling together and signed notable guys like omiyale and over the hill orlando pace to call the oline rebuilt.

Cutler was bad but I wasn't considering him a FA because he was already on the team. At least he didn't give $45 to a giraffe. Cutler was at least a known commodity. You knew what you are getting with him. Plus the market dictated what cutler would get. The market didn't dictate what glennon got. Pace bid against himself. He did the same thing by moving up one spot in the draft.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Cutler was bad but I wasn't considering him a FA because he was already on the team. At least he didn't give $45 to a giraffe. Cutler was at least a known commodity. You knew what you are getting with him. Plus the market dictated what cutler would get. The market didn't dictate what glennon got. Pace bid against himself. He did the same thing by moving up one spot in the draft.

lol, 45 mill to glennon is bad but is it 45 mill? bears can cut glennon after this season with only a 4.5 mill cap hit.
the bears paid glennon average starting qb money, did the higher money prevent the bears from landing someone in free agency they wanted? Nope so does it really matter? so glennon is getting paid no doubt but its a 1yr mistake as opposed to jay who the bears were stuck with for another 3 yrs from the extension.

In regards to the draft, i assume you dont believe it but once trubisky was selected all the chatter of trading up into the top 5 stopped. I applaud pace for going and getting his guy rather than sitting back and hoping hes there. Everyone knew the 49ers didn't want to stay at 2...He sat back in the 2015 draft and while he says he wanted white all along, i personally think he would have taken williams over white had the jets not drafted him right before the bears...

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Under Angelo - drafted some super stars early, really tailed off late in his career but we reached a super bowl and NFC championship under his direction.

Under Emory - complete disaster and lack of talent and experience. In way over his head and maybe the worst coach in our team history.

Under pace - a little hard to dissect because of his short tenure, starting from scratch after Emory took a huge steaming dump on our bears. I like what I've seen so far, sans the Kevin white pick, and the Glennon signing. Never liked either one but I do think fox and pace have us on the right track...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
LOL. Not this bull shit again. You mean Pace had no say on who to hire as coach. If so, I have a hard time believing he is the GM. Did mccaskeys make the draft picks as well? I don't buy that ridiculous nonsense.

Please read some about how Fox was hired and you will learn. Pace did not have a say in who was hired for the coaching position.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
angelo is clearly the worst as he has the longest history to dissect. Miss after miss on 1st round picks, refused to address the oline and claimed its just a matter of them gelling together and signed notable guys like omiyale and over the hill orlando pace to call the oline rebuilt.
I hate defending Angelo but ...

after the Super Bowl appearance, Lovie Smith got a huge amount of the GM influence which is noted by the putrid drafting by Angelo after that Super Bowl (many of those draft picks were Lovie picks). Also, the Orlando Pace was all on his old Ram's coach becoming the OC and signing him due to his previous glory. Same goes for Archuleta (another Lovie signing).

I think that is where the "whistling Dixie" comment from Angelo came from. He had become a powerless figurehead after the Super Bowl and knew that what he wanted didn't mean anything. Lovie was going to keep ignoring the offensive line because he was a defensive mind and wanted all defense.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:

16 million. He will be cut and someone will pay him at least 2.5 that he has left in his guarantee which is subject to offset language. Again - dumb fucking thread.

Matt2012

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wisconsin Badgers
Emery takes the cake for his coaching hire and leading the defense into the ground. His drafting was okay on the offensive side, but absolutely abysmal on the defense. It seemed that he had a problem with wanting to be the smartest guy in the room and reaching for guys. Free agency was decent and I will give him credit for quickly rebuilding the offensive line.

Angelo was a shitshow in the 2nd half of his tenure, but benefitted from solid defensive drafting early on and a stable coaching situation. He helped build that exceptional defense during the Lovie era, but awful drafting and terrible free agency decisions destroyed what could have been.

It is too early to judge Pace, particularly because he didn't hire Fox. His decision making has been questionable in free agency, but his drafting has been pretty damn good in the middle rounds. He obviously has a vision for the team, so we ultimately need to see where the team ends up. Trubisky, as well as his potential coaching hire in the future, are the keys to his success.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Bear defenses under Emery was historically bad, particularly against the run. Most defenses the linebackers are the ones that lead the team in tackles as they fill holes and when a roster has linebackers like Shea McClellin and Joe Bostic as starters...well results are no surprise.

That being said, it still comes down to win loss record and Pace's teams are 9-27 with gaping holes at the secondary and WR positions.

9-27 is a fair point.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
Its clearly Emery, there's no real competition here.

Trestman over Ariens, Cutler extension, his draft picks, the defence (Mel Tucker). Angelo did some really good things and Pace is too early to judge still. Emery was clearly complete and utter dogshit.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Jesus, what is with all these anti Pace threads the week before the pick that will literally define his tenure gets his first start.

Can we save these threads for the end of the season when the sky is falling in because Mitch looked terrible?

Because you're all going to look dumb as he'll if he actually plays well.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
16 million. He will be cut and someone will pay him at least 2.5 that he has left in his guarantee which is subject to offset language. Again - dumb fucking thread.

Not that 2.5 mil is a big deal, but no, your wrong. If he is cut, the bears eat 4.5 mil. granted two million of that has already been payed, but the cap hit is 4.5

If another team signs him and pays him 4 mil, the bears don't get there 2.5 mil back. That only happens if he is traded, which will never happen.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I hate defending Angelo but ...

after the Super Bowl appearance, Lovie Smith got a huge amount of the GM influence which is noted by the putrid drafting by Angelo after that Super Bowl (many of those draft picks were Lovie picks). Also, the Orlando Pace was all on his old Ram's coach becoming the OC and signing him due to his previous glory. Same goes for Archuleta (another Lovie signing).

I think that is where the "whistling Dixie" comment from Angelo came from. He had become a powerless figurehead after the Super Bowl and knew that what he wanted didn't mean anything. Lovie was going to keep ignoring the offensive line because he was a defensive mind and wanted all defense.

he used that whistling dixie comment more than a few times during his tenure and it was more to avoid saying something he'd regret and so he'd simply say whistle dixie. Is the GM influence you talk about your own speculation because I've never heard that before. I belive the pace and archuleta signings in free agency but draft picks by lovie?
Angelo didnt ignore the offensive line, he just kept throwing turd picks at it hoping something would stick. turds like louis, webb, williams, beekman, barton, adams, metcalf and whoever else i missed.

i recall scouts being upset with angelo making last minute picks on his own instead of picking the consensus player but regardless...below is a list of angelo's accomplishments from 2001-2005, 2006-2011.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...y-angelos-chicago-bears-draft-picks-2001-2005
https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...raft-picks-2006-2011-chicago-bears-matt-forte

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All three are turds in a punch bowl.

Matt2012

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wisconsin Badgers
i recall scouts being upset with angelo making last minute picks on his own instead of picking the consensus player but regardless...below is a list of angelo's accomplishments from 2001-2005, 2006-2011.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...y-angelos-chicago-bears-draft-picks-2001-2005
https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...raft-picks-2006-2011-chicago-bears-matt-forte

The difference between those periods of time is insane. And Greg Olsen hardly even counts as a positive in that 2nd article because he was traded for peanuts.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
From pace, angelo, and emery who is the worst gm. I am 100% sure that pace is the worst. Most of his draft picks are busts or just serviceable starters. He has missed on his Free agents. Glennon? Seriously? And his coaching hire was the worst of the three. Emery had a few decent picks, but hiring Trestmann cost him his job. JA found a bunch of good players in the draft like briggs and his coaching hire was okay. Lovie his second choice. He wanted saban.

For some reason a lot of meatball fans love Pace, but I can't understand why so much love. Hope he has found a gem in Trubisky, but that alone should not be enough to save his job.

"Meatballs" love Pace? I think the opposite is true. Most of the Pace haters on this board can barely construct a sentence. You can almost hear the mouth breathing through the computer screen. Goldman, Howard, Floyd, Whitehair, Kwiatkoski, Cohen, Meredith, Jackson, Shaheen and Bullard all look like nice young pieces to build upon. He just drafted his QB. He's landed arguably the best player on the team through free agency in Hicks. He wanted Gase or Quinn as his head coach but was saddled with Fox. The Glennon thing cracks me up because they needed somebody to play QB and it's a bottom tier starting QB deal for basically one year. None of his prior tape was as bad as what he did this fall. Next year he's cap space.

He'll get a chance to hire his own head coach and finish what he started. If the Bears were to fire him, I think he'd have another GM job immediately.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Emery is in contention for worst GM of all time. A disastor on every front.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
he used that whistling dixie comment more than a few times during his tenure and it was more to avoid saying something he'd regret and so he'd simply say whistle dixie. Is the GM influence you talk about your own speculation because I've never heard that before. I belive the pace and archuleta signings in free agency but draft picks by lovie?
Angelo didnt ignore the offensive line, he just kept throwing turd picks at it hoping something would stick. turds like louis, webb, williams, beekman, barton, adams, metcalf and whoever else i missed.

No, Lovie got a lot of power after the Super Bowl including over Angelo. If you look at most of the early picks being on defense, it is pretty clear that Lovie had influence on who got drafted. Moreover, all of those linemen were all late round throw-away picks. Again, a Lovie influence.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
No, Lovie got a lot of power after the Super Bowl including over Angelo. If you look at most of the early picks being on defense, it is pretty clear that Lovie had influence on who got drafted. Moreover, all of those linemen were all late round throw-away picks. Again, a Lovie influence.

I just dont see the lovie influence on who got drafted partly due to 90% of them sucking...

angelo's draft on offensive talent alone makes me cringe
this hasn't even taken into account all of his awesome free agent signings which is not worth going into...

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
"Meatballs" love Pace? I think the opposite is true. Most of the Pace haters on this board can barely construct a sentence. You can almost hear the mouth breathing through the computer screen. Goldman, Howard, Floyd, Whitehair, Kwiatkoski, Cohen, Meredith, Jackson, Shaheen and Bullard all look like nice young pieces to build upon. He just drafted his QB. He's landed arguably the best player on the team through free agency in Hicks. He wanted Gase or Quinn as his head coach but was saddled with Fox. The Glennon thing cracks me up because they needed somebody to play QB and it's a bottom tier starting QB deal for basically one year. None of his prior tape was as bad as what he did this fall. Next year he's cap space.

He'll get a chance to hire his own head coach and finish what he started. If the Bears were to fire him, I think he'd have another GM job immediately.

Kwiatkowski, Meredith, Jackson, Shaneen, and Bullard are "building blocks? Not as far as I am concerned. To me they are pretty average football players, not building blocks. Floyd to me is a first round miss. White was a first round bust. He also totally fucked up in the signing of a terrible quarterback in Glennon. Crazy to sugar coat it as far as I am concerned.

Before they started this season, I gave Pace a C- for his drafts and a D for his free agent signings. His stupidity in signing Glennon drops him to a D-. For me the only thing that should save his job is if Trubisky emerges as a viable NFL quarterback. That is the only thing that should be able to rescue him from being fired.

One of the sad parts of reading Bear's fans posts is the patience that they have and the forgiveness that they give Bear's ownership and the weak assed people that they hire. Why? Why are you so confident in Pace?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Kwiatkowski, Meredith, Jackson, Shaneen, and Bullard are "building blocks? Not as far as I am concerned. To me they are pretty average football players, not building blocks. Floyd to me is a first round miss. White was a first round bust. He also totally fucked up in the signing of a terrible quarterback in Glennon. Crazy to sugar coat it as far as I am concerned.

Before they started this season, I gave Pace a C- for his drafts and a D for his free agent signings. His stupidity in signing Glennon drops him to a D-. For me the only thing that should save his job is if Trubisky emerges as a viable NFL quarterback. That is the only thing that should be able to rescue him from being fired.

One of the sad parts of reading Bear's fans posts is the patience that they have and the forgiveness that they give Bear's ownership and the weak assed people that they hire. Why? Why are you so confident in Pace?

He's young and exciting.... not some bitter old fuckwad.... I think that's why.