White Sox Outbid For VMart, Still Signs With Tigers

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Theyre pitching staff sucks. They aint adding to that starting staff. Theyre trying to get another outfielder but good luck trying to outscore everyone

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Blah the one time i use aint and i get pulled over by the grammer police!

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Yeah. Detroit's rotation is kinda meh. Verlander is an ace no doubt. Then what? Scherzer? Porcello? Gallaraga? Oliver or some other Mudhen? No thanks.

We bitch about our pitching a lot, but I'd take Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Jackson over their staff (or most for that matter) when healthy.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yet, the same staff that was only 6 spots ahead? (ERA)

Our rotation is overrated.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Not really. ERA doesn't tell the whole story. While Peavy and Floyd put up bad numbers in April and May. On June 16th, Peavy had a 5.62 ERA. However, Peavy has the 2nd best WHIP for starters and second best BAA for starters (both categories he trailed John Danks) and he leads the team in strike outs. By these statistics one could argue Peavy was Chicago's second best starter behind Danks at that time. Also, His FIP was at 4.45 and had a xFIP of 4.24. Translation: that ERA was going to come crumbling down like the Berlin wall as the season continued. And it did until his injury.

Gavin Floyd? An even more impressive 3.80 FIP and a 3.97 xFIP and ended the season with a 4.08 ERA. I'd take that from my 4th starter. Easily.

For those not knowing what FIP is, its pretty much helps you understand how well a pitcher pitched, regardless of how well his fielders fielded.

icondarinsz3.gif

Last edited:

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
I think we have an excellent staff. IMO they break down at times due to lack of offensive production. Or there are occassions like other teams where they just have bad games. You can't really name a better 5 than Danks, Buehrle, Floyd, Jackson, Peavy

NCBEARS

Liked Posts:
I think we have an excellent staff. IMO they break down at times due to lack of offensive production.

remind me again, how does a pitcher break down because of his offense?

defense maybe (because he has to stay on the mound longer and throw more pitches) but even a lack of scoring should never "break down" our starters (bullpen might pull overtime in extra innings, but starters almost never pitch past the 9th).

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really. ERA doesn't tell the whole story. While Peavy and Floyd put up bad numbers in April and May. On June 16th, Peavy had a 5.62 ERA. However, Peavy has the 2nd best WHIP for starters and second best BAA for starters (both categories he trailed John Danks) and he leads the team in strike outs. By these statistics one could argue Peavy was Chicago's second best starter behind Danks at that time. Also, His FIP was at 4.45 and had a xFIP of 4.24. Translation: that ERA was going to come crumbling down like the Berlin wall as the season continued. And it did until his injury.

Gavin Floyd? An even more impressive 3.80 FIP and a 3.97 xFIP and ended the season with a 4.08 ERA. I'd take that from my 4th starter. Easily.

For those not knowing what FIP is, its pretty much helps you understand how well a pitcher pitched, regardless of how well his fielders fielded.

icondarinsz3.gif

again, like in the other thread, you cannot base your evaluations off of this stat by itself, and there are indeed holes in the stat as well. just because he did not give up a homerun, walk or hbp and had SO's doesnt mean that the pitcher should be evalutated just on that formula.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
whitesox901 put down the kool aid. Our rotation hasn't accomplished jack squat.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
just because he did not give up a homerun, walk or hbp and had SO's doesnt mean that the pitcher should be evalutated just on that formula.

So you would rather judge a pitcher by ERA?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are many statistics that you have to use to judge a pitcher, not just FIP. It only tells you a portion of the pitcher but does not give the full picture of the pitcher and what the pitcher is.

Fielding Independent Pitching (FIP)

"Things to Remember:

* FIP does a better job of predicting the future than of measuring the present, meaning there can be a lot of fluctuation in smaller samples
* FIP does not tell you how many real runs were scored
* It is possible for FIP to be negative, though unlikely over large samples."