Who are your top 5 running backs of All Time??

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Not Emmitt Smith because he's a compiler and had a ridiculous OL.
Not Wawa Payton because of broom closet-gate and the adulatory and drug abuse.
Not Barry Sanders because no one likes losers and quitters.
Not Adrian Peterson because he liked to beat up 2 year olds.

So i guess i'll go with
Matt Forte
Frank Gore
Ladainian Tomlinson
Jamaal Charles
Warrick Dunn

But what does personal life have to do with football? That's a rhetorical question. U don't have to answer

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
If Jamaal Charles had stayed healthy, he would have almost certainly been in this conversation. Highest YPC average of all-time, basically only had 5 years of production before suffering two ACL injuries that ended his career. Only RB in history to have at least 1100 yards in a year where he carried the ball less than 200 times. I had totally forgotten how good he actually was until I saw his numbers. Superhuman efficiency. He was drastically underutilized as a runner, yet he was still able to make a huge impact. The Chiefs never lost a game when he had at least 20 carries. Pretty crazy.

Last edited:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Of those I saw:

Sanders
Faulk
LT
AP
Emmitt

mecha

Liked Posts:
I'm partial to Payton because of his style of literally punching people lol. his versatility goes beyond being a runningback, but because of it I think he's the best all around football player.

Barry Sanders was a sight to behold. Marshall Faulk was the prototype for Matt Forte. Eric Dickerson was a savage for a time. I know a lot of people say Jim Brown, and it's entirely justified, but I think the era has to weigh into it. he was seriously a man among boys. Earl Campbell had a savage style too, it's sad he's pretty much wheelchair bound because of it. that one run where his jersey disintegrates was hilarious.

I think I named 6 players, but fuck it.

Bust

Liked Posts:
1. Barry Sanders
2. Walter Payton
3. Jim Brown
4. Gayle Sayers
5. Marshall Faulk/ Eric Dickerson

Not many with championship rings on that list. All that matters these days . . .

Luke

Liked Posts:
In no particular order. Walter, Brown, Sanders, Sayers, Campbell. Campbell was better than Peterson, could catch and didn't fumble or beat children.

He's like a bigger, faster, stronger Walter. Ducks. Burned out from overwork and running style.
GoodnaturedBelovedImperatorangel-max-1mb.gif

I can't believe Campbell isn't mentioned more, he was incredible.
I totally agree with your top 5 as you said in no particular order.
Each one was different but all a complete joy to watch.
Brown more so from highlights.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can't believe Campbell isn't mentioned more, he was incredible.
I totally agree with your top 5 as you said in no particular order.
Each one was different but all a complete joy to watch.
Brown more so from highlights.
The guy with most question there is actually Sayers but he was such a unique talent that he can't be excluded.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Some of those things didn't have suspensions. This is a question of their RB skills, not their personal behavior.
Suspensions are like injuries. You become unavailable.

Luke

Liked Posts:
The guy with most question there is actually Sayers but he was such a unique talent that he can't be excluded.

for sure. Sayers and Browns video were truly unique and impressive albeit before my time.
Sanders, Walter and Campbell were my top 3 that I actually watched.
From just a running standpoint, Barry was the best of all time and by a good bit imo.
Walter added power and Campbell even more power but all kept you glued to your chair every time they touched the ball.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
for sure. Sayers and Browns video were truly unique and impressive albeit before my time.
Sanders, Walter and Campbell were my top 3 that I actually watched.
From just a running standpoint, Barry was the best of all time and by a good bit imo.
Walter added power and Campbell even more power but all kept you glued to your chair every time they touched the ball.
You know, that goal line stuff will always hang over Sander's head and it was all on Fontes. Dude could have easily flown over the top like Walter or lowered his shoulder. Sanders liked Fontes but that aspect of their situation always bothered me. Helped his YPC, LOL.

Last edited:

Luke

Liked Posts:
You know, that goal line stuff will always hang over Sander's head and it was all on Fontes. Dude could have easily flown over the top like Walter or lowered his shoulder. I understand holding him out early in his career after he did one of those lose 10 yard runs but there's no way he wouldn't have learned from it and find shorter paths to the goal line.

That guy was so fun to watch, usually with the box stacked.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That guy was so fun to watch, usually with the box stacked.
Yup but no one was the complete package of everything like Campbell. Never caught from behind, rolled LBs, shook defenders out of their shoes, yards after contact, jump cuts, hands, blocks. Took it around the corner like a speed back and a top 3 power back of all time. etc., etc.