Who do we give up for Kevin Love?

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I was under the impression that the 8M hit only applies for the Rockets. If they went to any other team, it's the actual 15M. I could be way off on that though. But if you're right, that basically makes both players as untradeable as Boozer so...

i dont know for sure....its confusing as hell

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
I really would like either Love or Melo, and wouldn't complain about either one ending up in Chicago. I'll play along with what I could see happening. In terms of what I give up to get Love, everyone not named Rose and possibly Noah.....Seriously, the dude is that good.

My trade scenario would probably be something along the lines of;

T'Wolves Receive;
Jimmy Butler
Taj Gibson
Carlos Boozer
Rights to Mirotic
16th Pick
Sac Kings Pick

Bulls Receive;
Kevin Love
Alexey Shved
J.J. Barea

Bulls lose a bit of depth, but get back an interesting player in Shved to go along with Love. Barea is a filler and simply not all that good. Maybe Thibs uses his PG whispering skills and can get the most out of the little guy in his contract year. I know some won't like this. But it's probably the most likely as what the Bulls would have to give up. He's not going to come cheap, nor should he. IDK where the Bulls would go from there, but this would be my personal starting point. Flame away.

Long story short it'd be cheaper to acquire Melo. We as Bulls fans should look toward to the possibility that a real scenario would be buy out Mirotic and sign him, amnesty Boozer and sign the likes of Lance Stephenson (I know he's not all there) but that guy is really, really talented, then go use the rest of whatever cap is left. Which maybe the Full MLE and BAE.

In terms of draft with the Stephenson and Mirotic scenario. IDK I keep going back and forth on players I'd like to see drafted. I would probably lean towards an Elfrid Payton and Kyle Anderson/Doug McDermott. Then again I have no idea how this draft is going to fall.

RockyIII

Liked Posts:
I really would like either Love or Melo, and wouldn't complain about either one ending up in Chicago. I'll play along with what I could see happening. In terms of what I give up to get Love, everyone not named Rose and possibly Noah.....Seriously, the dude is that good.

T'Wolves Receive;
Jimmy Butler
Taj Gibson
Carlos Boozer
Rights to Mirotic
16th Pick
Sac Kings Pick

Bulls Receive;
Kevin Love
Alexey Shved
J.J. Barea

Bulls lose a bit of depth, but get back an interesting player in Shved to go along with Love. Barea is a filler and simply not all that good. Maybe Thibs uses his PG whispering skills and can get the most out of the little guy in his contract year. I know some won't like this. But it's probably the most likely as what the Bulls would have to give up. He's not going to come cheap, nor should he. IDK where the Bulls would go from there, but this would be my personal starting point. Flame away.

Long story short it'd be cheaper to acquire Melo. We as Bulls fans should look toward to the possibility that a real scenario would be buy out Mirotic and sign him, amnesty Boozer and sign the likes of Lance Stephenson (I know he's not all there) but that guy is really, really talented, then go use the rest of whatever cap is left. Which maybe the Full MLE and BAE.

In terms of draft with the Stephenson and Mirotic scenario. IDK I keep going back and forth on players I'd like to see drafted. I would probably lean towards an Elfrid Payton and Kyle Anderson/Doug McDermott. Then again I have no idea how this draft is going to fall.

That is giving up a lot for a guy that has no back to the basket game, can't create his own shot, and is injury prone. Might even be too much for Melo. I like your thinking though just get one of them here.

Bonecrusher

Liked Posts:

T'Wolves Receive;
Jimmy Butler
Taj Gibson
Carlos Boozer
Rights to Mirotic
16th Pick
Sac Kings Pick

Bulls Receive;
Kevin Love
Alexey Shved
J.J. Barea

Done deal my friend. P.S. Wolves fan (I am from Minnesota)

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
anyway to swing for both mello and love? Im sure it would require get rid of gibson, noah, and booz contracts.

CubbyBear2290

Liked Posts:
That is giving up a lot for a guy that has no back to the basket game, can't create his own shot, and is injury prone. Might even be too much for Melo. I like your thinking though just get one of them here.

He's not the best at getting his own shot. But he does have some back to the basket skills. I wanna say he was roughly 50% on his hook shots that he took. He's not just a stretch 4. He's a scoring 4. Defense is his biggest deficiency. Honestly though, of the 3 scenarios I listed none of them would bug me at all and all of them would make me happy. It's just a matter of the star power argument with Melo or Love to pair with rose. Or getting just way more talent than the Bulls had by adding in Mirotic and Stephenson and saying using both 1st rounders to draft, Kyle Anderson and Elfred Payton (2 of my favorite prospects that might be in the 15-20 range of this specific draft.

But in regards to you saying too much. That is probably too much for Melo, I agree. But is it really too much for Love (25 will be 26 prior to next season) and arguably (and in my opinion best player at his position) PF in the NBA?

Bonecrusher

Liked Posts:
anyway to swing for both mello and love? Im sure it would require get rid of gibson, noah, and booz contracts.

Not sure if it would be possible but if you did the proposed trade above you could potentially flip JJ and Barea this years 19th and next years Bobcats and Boozer for a re-signed Melo. Knicks desperately need picks since they've been stupid enough to trade them away so easily.

czman

Liked Posts:
T'Wolves Receive;
Jimmy Butler
Taj Gibson
Carlos Boozer
Rights to Mirotic
16th Pick
Sac Kings Pick

Bulls Receive;
Kevin Love
Alexey Shved
J.J. Barea

So the Timberwolves get an expiring contract in Boozer who has below 0 value.
They get Gibson who is an average PF.
They get Butler who is a below average SG/SF (Tony Allen) and is also redundant because they have Brewer. Butler is also in the last year of his deal.
They get the 16th pick (another average to below average player)
They get the protected Kings pick that might be a 2nd rounder.
They get Euro kid who is 22 now, will not be on a rookie contract and who has to be signed with cap space that they don't have after they make this trade.

Just throwing a bunch of spare parts at a team does not make it something they want.

There is no way a smart GM would take that trade. They would be better to just let him walk and go into tank mode.

I find it hard to believe they will move him in a deal that does not involve a top5 pick or someone who has perceived top 5 pick potential.

Quantity does not equal quality.

CubbyBear2290

Liked Posts:
So the Timberwolves get an expiring contract in Boozer who has below 0 value.
They get Gibson who is an average PF.
They get Butler who is a below average SG/SF (Tony Allen) and is also redundant because they have Brewer. Butler is also in the last year of his deal.
They get the 16th pick (another average to below average player)
They get the protected Kings pick that might be a 2nd rounder.
They get Euro kid who is 22 now, will not be on a rookie contract and who has to be signed with cap space that they don't have after they make this trade.

Just throwing a bunch of spare parts at a team does not make it something they want.

There is no way a smart GM would take that trade. They would be better to just let him walk and go into tank mode.

I find it hard to believe they will move him in a deal that does not involve a top5 pick or someone who has perceived top 5 pick potential.

Quantity does not equal quality.

Well aren't you the cynic. It's not just spare parts. Jimmy is a viable NBA starter, who admittedly had a down year this passed season. I also agree quantity does not equal quantity. Mirtotic is probably a top 5 pick in this draft if his rights aren't already owned by a NBA team already. So take Bennett for example last year (4 years if option is exercised at $24,010,049) That's rookie pay scale. So that averages out to just over 6 million a year or right around what it will probably take to sign Mirotic once his Euroleague contract is bought out or expired. So in a way they'd be getting in essence a top 5 pick. But, lets not think about what Mirotic draft stock would be in this draft? That's far too novel an idea.

Picks are picks. The 16th pick in this draft could be argued as a top 10-12 in many other drafts given the depth this once has. The Kings pick I'll grant, It's a lotto ticket. Gibson is what he is. A fringe starting hustle/heart PF with limited offensive outside of 3-5 feet and great defensive abilities.

So in essence, getting 2 starters day 1 who've played NBA basketball (Butler and Taj), a would be top 5-6 pick in this draft (Mirotic), another pick at #16 along with a lottery ticket. Yeah god forbid you ever receive what many would consider a relatively good offer. Oh yeah lets not forget the big expiring in Boozer during the 2015 FA class that has some really good talent to offer in it's own right and that contract could be used as a flippable asset, for another team trying to rebuild.

Is it the best offer, no. But what team is really going to try to top it? Because I'm willing to bet Boston isn't parting with their big pick, and outside of Jeff Green they really don't have anyone they are going to want to trade, though they do have a high abundance 1st rounders. Golden state interesting, but Barnes has been pretty underwhelming thus far. David Lee is a nice player, but nothing special, Their pick is lower than the Bulls isn't it (IDK haven't checked) and a big man in Bogut who has injury concerns, expiring but they'd probably wanna keep him, would they not? IDK just a thought process. As far as Thompson goes, he's a really nice player, but I don't think he's as great as many want to believe he is.

You're never going to get fair offer for the player you're truly trying to trade. Stars don't truly fetch what they're worth, especially when they are trying force their way out of a situation. Just food for thought.

RockyIII

Liked Posts:
He's not the best at getting his own shot. But he does have some back to the basket skills. I wanna say he was roughly 50% on his hook shots that he took. He's not just a stretch 4. He's a scoring 4. Defense is his biggest deficiency. Honestly though, of the 3 scenarios I listed none of them would bug me at all and all of them would make me happy. It's just a matter of the star power argument with Melo or Love to pair with rose. Or getting just way more talent than the Bulls had by adding in Mirotic and Stephenson and saying using both 1st rounders to draft, Kyle Anderson and Elfred Payton (2 of my favorite prospects that might be in the 15-20 range of this specific draft.

But in regards to you saying too much. That is probably too much for Melo, I agree. But is it really too much for Love (25 will be 26 prior to next season) and arguably (and in my opinion best player at his position) PF in the NBA?

In my opinion it is too much for Love. This is probably one of the deepest drafts in years. Butler in my opinion hasn't reached his ceiling yet because he's too tired to know how effective he can be. Boozer done deal, Gibson you just hate to see leave because of the maturation that has taken place. Gibson starts somewhere next year and easily is a double double machine. Mirotic is the key here because nobody knows what he will do ok the NBA. If he ends up like Dirk then yes it's way too much but if he ends up like Darko well we might be brewing....

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The thing is that Love wants OUT. The wolves are in no position to have us give up a lot to get him or they risk losing him. I think that the Bulls could
make a good deal such as Boozer, Gibson and either both their first round picks this year one of their first this year and another next year. That is about the most that I'd trade.

Secondly, it has to be a given that Love signs a contract or forget it. Frankly I'd rather that they do a sign and trade for Melo.

czman

Liked Posts:
Well aren't you the cynic. It's not just spare parts. Jimmy is a viable NBA starter, who admittedly had a down year this passed season. I also agree quantity does not equal quantity. Mirtotic is probably a top 5 pick in this draft if his rights aren't already owned by a NBA team already. So take Bennett for example last year (4 years if option is exercised at $24,010,049) That's rookie pay scale. So that averages out to just over 6 million a year or right around what it will probably take to sign Mirotic once his Euroleague contract is bought out or expired. So in a way they'd be getting in essence a top 5 pick. But, lets not think about what Mirotic draft stock would be in this draft? That's far too novel an idea.

Picks are picks. The 16th pick in this draft could be argued as a top 10-12 in many other drafts given the depth this once has. The Kings pick I'll grant, It's a lotto ticket. Gibson is what he is. A fringe starting hustle/heart PF with limited offensive outside of 3-5 feet and great defensive abilities.

So in essence, getting 2 starters day 1 who've played NBA basketball (Butler and Taj), a would be top 5-6 pick in this draft (Mirotic), another pick at #16 along with a lottery ticket. Yeah god forbid you ever receive what many would consider a relatively good offer. Oh yeah lets not forget the big expiring in Boozer during the 2015 FA class that has some really good talent to offer in it's own right and that contract could be used as a flippable asset, for another team trying to rebuild.

Is it the best offer, no. But what team is really going to try to top it? Because I'm willing to bet Boston isn't parting with their big pick, and outside of Jeff Green they really don't have anyone they are going to want to trade, though they do have a high abundance 1st rounders. Golden state interesting, but Barnes has been pretty underwhelming thus far. David Lee is a nice player, but nothing special, Their pick is lower than the Bulls isn't it (IDK haven't checked) and a big man in Bogut who has injury concerns, expiring but they'd probably wanna keep him, would they not? IDK just a thought process. As far as Thompson goes, he's a really nice player, but I don't think he's as great as many want to believe he is.

You're never going to get fair offer for the player you're truly trying to trade. Stars don't truly fetch what they're worth, especially when they are trying force their way out of a situation. Just food for thought.

i am cynical I am realistic.

The Euro kid has less value for two reasons. He is not signing a rookie contracts (5 years) The Wolves at best could get him for 4, but probably 3. That is a huge difference. Taking a player on who can walk in 3 years is not nearly as valuable as a player who have for 5 years. He is also still under contract in Europe so there is no guarantee he even comes over.

Butler is not an average started at the 2/3 based on his performance. Bulls fans way overrate Butler. Based off last season Butler is not even starter quality. He has very little value in the NBA. Theblo, Tony Allen, Cory Brewer, he is on par with them and they have very limited value.

I just don't see the it the same way you do. I think they Timberwolves will get someone they value. You might not like Thompson, but my guess is there are people in the NBA who would rather him than just about anyone the Bulls can offer.

czman

Liked Posts:
The thing is that Love wants OUT. The wolves are in no position to have us give up a lot to get him or they risk losing him. I think that the Bulls could
make a good deal such as Boozer, Gibson and either both their first round picks this year one of their first this year and another next year. That is about the most that I'd trade.

Secondly, it has to be a given that Love signs a contract or forget it. Frankly I'd rather that they do a sign and trade for Melo.

The thing is he may want out but if there are multiple teams looking at him they Timberwolves can use that as leverage and take the best deal.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If he's not top ten name me the other ten that he's not better than?
Chris Bosh
David Lee
Paul Millsap
David West
Pau Gasol
Zach Randolph
Dirk Nowitzki
Anthony Davis
Josh Smith
Kevin Love
Lamarcus Aldridge
Blake Griffin
Tim Duncan

There's more than 10 in case you're nitpicky

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
lol taj is not top 10 overall

i do think you could argue hes the best PF defensively tho

RockyIII

Liked Posts:
Chris Bosh
David Lee
Paul Millsap
David West
Pau Gasol
Zach Randolph
Dirk Nowitzki
Anthony Davis
Josh Smith
Kevin Love
Lamarcus Aldridge
Blake Griffin
Tim Duncan

There's more than 10 in case you're nitpicky

There's more I'm curious. I will give you everybody except josh smith

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The thing is he may want out but if there are multiple teams looking at him they Timberwolves can use that as leverage and take the best deal.

Sure. They will try but their options are limited. He wants to go to a contender. He wants to go to a major market. How many teams fit
that criteria? I doubt any teams that qualify to his criteria have the resources to trade that the Bulls do, particularly Mirotic. With Mirotic and Gibson,
the Wolves have two starters for sure at SF and PF along with a number one pick. Name the team that can offer more.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd take Stephenson. He's got an upside that is good and has an edge about him. But Thibs and the leaders of the Bulls have to buy in to him and he
vice versa. As a player he certainly can create his own shot and go to the basket. And he would improve the defense and rebounding as a big guard.
If he isn't a fit with Thibs and company then so be it but the guy is a player.