Who Should Be The All Star(s) As Of Now For The Cubs?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So your saying 13 games of so called "hot streak" makes him elgible for All star talk?

:obama:

No.

:turrible:

What I'm saying is LaHair being the "2nd best 1B" in a league where two of the three best ones left the league before the season, Berkman, who was off to a hot start in 13games got hurt, Freddie Freeman couldn't see for a week and Todd Helton is older than dirt, and Ryan Howard hasn't even seen a MLB pitch this year, isn't saying anything special or in context doesn't really "say" much. Especially given that LaHair isn't even an every day player at this point

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:

No.

What I'm saying is LaHair being the "2nd best 1B" in a league where two of the three best ones left the league before the season, Berkman, who was off to a hot start in 13games got hurt, Freddie Freeman couldn't see for a week and Todd Helton is older than dirt, and Ryan Howard hasn't even seen a MLB pitch this year, isn't saying anything special or in context doesn't really "say" much. Especially given that LaHair isn't even an every day player at this point

Still doesnt mean he not an all star 1B this year. So whats your argument?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, "hot" and "cold" aren't true barometers of how good a player is. Every player can get "hot". Even Koyie Hill has "hot" streaks (for him anyway :lol:)
That might be true if I were talking about Koyie Hill or some slug who usually isn't good..but Berkman usually is.

It's not like Berkman playing really was shocking.

Apples and Oranges.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

No.

I agree with this. I think there's a chance they pick LaHair because they don't have a better choice, but this doesn't mean LaHair is awesome. He's basically riding the hot start at this point.

ZDemp34

That One Guy
Liked Posts:
Well, Fukudome was an All-Star STARTER in '08, so anything can happen :lol:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with this. I think there's a chance they pick LaHair because they don't have a better choice, but this doesn't mean LaHair is awesome. He's basically riding the hot start at this point.

I understand there not many choices but cant blame him for that. He put up the numbers this year to be an all star 1B. I have to look but im Curious where he be in AL

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still doesnt mean he not an all star 1B this year.
It could.

And you saying he's the second best 1B in the NL doesn't mean anything because IMO there should only be one 1B from the NL going this season.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
It could.

And you saying he's the second best 1B in the NL doesn't mean anything because IMO there should only be one 1B from the NL going this season.

its not like his numbers are bad. He still hitting over .300, OBP .380+ with 12 HR. So that could easily be all star numbers in any other year

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem being that Bryan LaHair is a relative no-name and the NL manager could easily select, say, Carlos Beltran instead to man 1B when Votto is done. LaHair isn't a lock.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
anyone who says castro in this thread is crazy.

Are they?

He leads NL Shortstops in BA (.295) and RBI (34), is 2nd in steals (16), 5th in HRs, 1st in Triples (5), and 5th in slugging %.

I don't think he'll go, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend ppl get voted in based on Fielding %.

I think Tulo will be the started based on popularity....but then who? Reyes? B/c Miami has so many fans?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem being that Bryan LaHair is a relative no-name and the NL manager could easily select, say, Carlos Beltran instead to man 1B when Votto is done. LaHair isn't a lock.

I think each position is required to have one backup. So LaHair is in play but if Freeman has a hot week or two it could swing that players/managers vote that determines the backups his way.

If LaHair make sit I won't throw a shit fit or anything. I just think the "logic" behind saying LaHair is the 2nd best 1B in the NL this year as to why he "deserves" to go is a tad hollow. IMO Demp or Soriano "deserve" to go more than LaHair but LaHair kind of fell into a "shitty position vacuum" and will get the nod.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are they?

He leads NL Shortstops in BA (.295) and RBI (34), is 2nd in steals (16), 5th in HRs, 1st in Triples (5), and 5th in slugging %.

I don't think he'll go, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend ppl get voted in based on Fielding %.

I think Tulo will be the started based on popularity....but then who? Reyes? B/c Miami has so many fans?
The fan vote only takes into account the starters. Back ups are done by managers and players IIRC

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The fan vote only takes into account the starters. Back ups are done by managers and players IIRC

I don't think it's out of the question that they pick Castro to be the backup. Is Tulo still hurt?

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Demp
Castro
LaHair (hasn't played a whole ton over the past few weeks)
Soriano

and thats it. lol.

One to three of them "could" get in.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Dempster is the most likely candidate. LaHair and Castro are likely de facto backups too because I just looked at the leaderboards for both 1B and SS and those positions are trash.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Good call. oversight on my part.

I think Dempster is the most likely candidate. LaHair and Castro are likely de facto backups too because I just looked at the leaderboards for both 1B and SS and those positions are trash.

That's my point. They could get in just b/c everyone else at the position is garbage. But in baseball, being the shiniest piece of crap still gets you a nod most years.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars