• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Howard ain't gonna do shit this year with two or three veteran backs ahead of him second year in system.

Cutler/Logains has to trust him first. It's Lanford and Carey, with a dash of Howard.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Carey is the best runner of the group. But he won't get the touches.

we don't know that, we haven't seen Jordan Howard yet to make that claim!

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Howard ain't gonna do shit this year with two or three veteran backs ahead of him second year in system.

Cutler/Logains has to trust him first. It's Lanford and Carey, with a dash of Howard.

You're speaking of these "veterans" as if they are established guys. Howard is a better back than both and I highly doubt he sits behind them long.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
You're speaking of these "veterans" as if they are established guys. Howard is a better back than both and I highly doubt he sits behind them long.

If you're basing this off college numbers- which is pretty much all you can base it off of - Langford was far better.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you're basing this off college numbers- which is pretty much all you can base it off of - Langford was far better.

Personally, I don't. Howard runs with better vision. Langford is the faster athlete but LBers in the NFL are fast and you can't just beat everyone to the edge and take off. I think Howard will take advantage of NFL blocking better and will be a more consistent, reliable starter than Langford would be. It will be by committee, but I see Howard establishing himself as the guy they trust to produce most consistently.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Personally, I don't. Howard runs with better vision. Langford is the faster athlete but LBers in the NFL are fast and you can't just beat everyone to the edge and take off. I think Howard will take advantage of NFL blocking better and will be a more consistent, reliable starter than Langford would be. It will be by committee, but I see Howard establishing himself as the guy they trust to produce most consistently.

I don't think Howard is going to be a bad back.

But to me, he's a poor mans Lynch.

Which isn't a bad thing.

But also not a stud.

RB by committee sounds about right. But neither is an every-down back and neither is a threat out of the back field in the flats from what I see.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:

I am basing it off watching them both and preferring Howard as a runner. I was a fan of Langford coming out of MSU but I like Howard better and feel he will be the starter sooner than later.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I am basing it off watching them both and preferring Howard as a runner. I was a fan of Langford coming out of MSU but I like Howard better and feel he will be the starter sooner than later.

I only agree that they will split reps. Who get's more? Prob Langford. Who gets more 1st down reps? Prob Langford. Who gets more short yardage? Prob Howard.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think Howard will get more full series', especially in the second half.

I think by midseason they settle into a ~50-35-15 ratio of Howard-Langford-Carey.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

As I see it, none of these guys is a favorite for anything. None of them are very impressive. It will be a competition in camp and the best guy will win. But with this offensive line, all will struggle.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Howard will get more full series', especially in the second half.

I think by midseason they settle into a ~50-35-15 ratio of Howard-Langford-Carey.

With the predictable Bear's offense, it won't matter who is in the backfield. None of these guy's are a threat to catch passes. None of these guys are cut back runners. Lnagford can break away but needs a hole. The other two are power backs. Pretty boring shit.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As I see it, none of these guys is a favorite for anything. None of them are very impressive. It will be a competition in camp and the best guy will win. But with this offensive line, all will struggle.

The jury is out on the left side of the line as usual but Long and Massie should be one of the better run blocking right sides.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:

Agree on the RB talent level.

Disagree on the Oline.

Fox is building a line of road graders. And to be clear, what I mean by that is he seems to have jettisoned pass blockers (Bushrod, Garza, Slausen) and replaced them with guys who are better at plowing and getting to the second level.

Now... Maybe they won't be road graders. But, that is what he wants. And that is what he has gone after. Guys who have a great first step forward instead of a great first step back. Guys who should maul. And guys who can hit the second level.

Montgomery was let walk for a reason.

Slausen was a dominant pass blocker. But a middle tier pull guard.

This is going to be a defensive minded, run-heavy team. Without Manning, that is what Fox's scheme is.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
With the predictable Bear's offense, it won't matter who is in the backfield. None of these guy's are a threat to catch passes. None of these guys are cut back runners. Lnagford can break away but needs a hole. The other two are power backs. Pretty boring shit.

Every NFL back needs a hole to break away. Langford was not a terrible back last year like you make him sound. The majority of rookie running backs struggle in some aspect of the game whether its pass protection, catching passes, finding the hole etc. He put together some solid drives and games. It is possible for players to improve from year to year. Hopefully Langford took his time with Forte last year and learned a thing or two.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The jury is out on the left side of the line as usual but Long and Massie should be one of the better run blocking right sides.

THen they are going to really change their tendencies as to the running game because last year most of the running plays went to the left side. It drove me nuts but that is where Fox's running game presented itself.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agree on the RB talent level.

Disagree on the Oline.

Fox is building a line of road graders. And to be clear, what I mean by that is he seems to have jettisoned pass blockers (Bushrod, Garza, Slausen) and replaced them with guys who are better at plowing and getting to the second level.

Now... Maybe they won't be road graders. But, that is what he wants. And that is what he has gone after. Guys who have a great first step forward instead of a great first step back. Guys who should maul. And guys who can hit the second level.

Montgomery was let walk for a reason.

Slausen was a dominant pass blocker. But a middle tier pull guard.

This is going to be a defensive minded, run-heavy team. Without Manning, that is what Fox's scheme is.

That may be Fox's scheme and his desire to have road graders but....... Leno is weak at LT. Whitehair is a rookie at LG. And Grasu has a lot to prove at center. Right now I think that 3/5ths of the O-Line will really struggle in the ground and pound game and since they lost their only true all purpose running back in Forte, the running game will be below average also.

I see the Fox offense to be one of the worst in the NFC until and if he abandons the ground and pound theory.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The more that I read this thread, the more I get pissed that they passed on Tunsil at LT. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Every NFL back needs a hole to break away. Langford was not a terrible back last year like you make him sound. The majority of rookie running backs struggle in some aspect of the game whether its pass protection, catching passes, finding the hole etc. He put together some solid drives and games. It is possible for players to improve from year to year. Hopefully Langford took his time with Forte last year and learned a thing or two.

I just do not see Langford as being a good back. Maybe he isn't terrible but he didn't show me anything last year that he could cut back, block, or catch a short pass. Maybe you are right and he does make big improvements in his play. I don't know and nor does anyone else. I do doubt it, though. All these backs, though, would be better if they had a better line in front of them. I think that the shitty offensive line was many times covered up with the ability of FOrte to cut and slide into positive yardage. They will very well miss that big time this season.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Can we start a new "how to: multi-quote" thread for Da Cawk? This is just fucking pathetic.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I just do not see Langford as being a good back. Maybe he isn't terrible but he didn't show me anything last year that he could cut back, block, or catch a short pass. Maybe you are right and he does make big improvements in his play. I don't know and nor does anyone else. I do doubt it, though. All these backs, though, would be better if they had a better line in front of them. I think that the shitty offensive line was many times covered up with the ability of FOrte to cut and slide into positive yardage. They will very well miss that big time this season.

Our O-line has to be better then last year though. Moved Long back to RG where he belongs, picked up Massie who is an actual T. Grasu will be in second year so should be improved and Leno is coming into his 2nd year starting. Nobody really knows about Whitehair but the reports coming out of college is that he is a technician and has Pro Bowl potential. Only time will tell but I am must more optimistic about our Oline this year then last year.