Whose Numbers Should Be Retired?

Liked Posts:
Are there any Bulls you feel should have their numbers retired?

How about other teams?

I always cringe whenever I saw Travis Outlaw wearing my boy Jerome Kersey's 25. That needs to be retired. He played there for like 11 1/2 years and was a great player there.

The Suns should retire Mark West's... not because he was a star but just for contribution. He did all the things that dont end up in the paper.

And for goodness sake...how could the Heat not retire Rony Seikaly's no. 4? He was the face of their franchise and was their first star.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Frank Breakfast-Styleham wrote:

How about other teams?

I always cringe whenever I saw Travis Outlaw wearing my boy Jerome Kersey's 25. That needs to be retired. He played there for like 11 1/2 years and was a great player there.

The Suns should retire Mark West's... not because he was a star but just for contribution. He did all the things that dont end up in the paper.

And for goodness sake...how could the Heat not retire Rony Seikaly's no. 4? He was the face of their franchise and was their first star.

check my thread: No ***** Way.

aso for other players on other teams: Charles Oakley in NY

Liked Posts:
YES!

Why on earth havent the Knicks retired Oakley (Eddy Curry has it for crying out loud...that should be a crime).

Oak played there for a thousand years. Helped them to the finals.

Newskoolbulls wrote:

How about other teams?

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Jerome Kersey? Was a great player? No he wasn't, that is why his number is not retired. It waters down the honor, and soon people will be wearing three numbers because average players had their numbers retired!

That honor should be for the very best. Charles Oakley is not on that list. Why would you retire his number, because he can whip up a great casserole? He cooks a great cake? That is what he is best known for right now, he is a great cook. He is not that well known as a great player and rightfully so. I think these franchises got it right, if Portland retires Kersey's number, they have to retire 15 other players' numbers who were better than him. That is silly.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
Jerome Kersey? Was a great player? No he wasn't, that is why his number is not retired. It waters down the honor, and soon people will be wearing three numbers because average players had their numbers retired!

That honor should be for the very best. Charles Oakley is not on that list. Why would you retire his number, because he can whip up a great casserole? He cooks a great cake? That is what he is best known for right now, he is a great cook. He is not that well known as a great player and rightfully so. I think these franchises got it right, if Portland retires Kersey's number, they have to retire 15 other players' numbers who were better than him. That is silly.

I agree with Houston, we don't want to water down the award. I'm all for a guy like Tim Hardaway who was a multiple year all-star and the face of the Heat. Did KJ get his in Phoenix? What about Payton and Kemp in OKC?

As far as the Bulls NORM! He meant a to this franchise.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I believe Kevin Johnson's number is retired (Mark West? what did he do...). They retired Mitch Richmond's number in Sacramento, Tim Hardaway made his name in Golden State moreso than Miami and that is where his number should be retired. Payton and Kemp, not yet. Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp's numbers should have been retired in Seattle. That would have been best. I really don't think Hornacek's number should be retired in Utah to be honest. Now if you want to make a team Hall of Fame, fine, then you can expand the criteria a bit, but retiring all those numbers? Hell no!

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
mlewinth wrote:
houheffna wrote:

I agree with Houston, we don't want to water down the award. I'm all for a guy like Tim Hardaway who was a multiple year all-star and the face of the Heat. Did KJ get his in Phoenix? What about Payton and Kemp in OKC?

As far as the Bulls NORM! He meant a to this franchise.

Thunder are not allowed to bring any Seattle history with them, that was the rule.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I believe the Seattle Sonics will be back...eventually. Kind of like the Cleveland Browns. When they do, they will make it right and retire those numbers...

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
I believe the Seattle Sonics will be back...eventually. Kind of like the Cleveland Browns. When they do, they will make it right and retire those numbers...

No way there will never be another NBA, only teams that move.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

How about other teams?

You don't think Hardaway, an All-NBA player & All-Star, shouldn't have his # retired by the Heat but you think Oakley, a career role player, should? Where's the logic?

Why not retire John Starks while you're at it?

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

Nuh uh!

Mr. Poopy Pants!

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
houheffna wrote:

Nuh uh!

Mr. Poopy Pants!
That might be my favorite post :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

RC_Skinny22

Sharpshooter
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bulls should retire number 12 and number 45.

And the number 23 should be retired for the whole NBA, like it is with Gretskys´ #99 in the NHL.

:side:

Liked Posts:
To be fair I suppose most of this is due to my favorite players always being the under-rated guys. When everyone in school was getting the Jordan and Barkley and Ewing jerseys I was the guy who wanted to get the Glen Rice jersey or the Pooh Richardson or the Rony Seikaly.

Maybe its because all my life people have under-rated me and what i can do. Whenever anyone chose teams they just got the bruisers and the guys with the big guns and then there i was, 6-0" and 125 pounds in 7th grade. After being the last one picked i'd step out there and knock down 7 3's in a row but still get chosen last because i was never popular.

That's life i guess.

I've always loved the underdog and the under-rated guys.

Perhaps retiring their numbers is a stretch indeed.

Thanks for the input everyone. Contrary to my juvenile joking I really do respect your comments.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To be fair I suppose most of this is due to my favorite players always being the under-rated guys. When everyone in school was getting the Jordan and Barkley and Ewing jerseys I was the guy who wanted to get the Glen Rice jersey or the Pooh Richardson or the Rony Seikaly.

Maybe its because all my life people have under-rated me and what i can do. Whenever anyone chose teams they just got the bruisers and the guys with the big guns and then there i was, 6-0" and 125 pounds in 7th grade. After being the last one picked i'd step out there and knock down 7 3's in a row but still get chosen last because i was never popular.

That's life i guess.

I've always loved the underdog and the under-rated guys.

Perhaps retiring their numbers is a stretch indeed.

Thanks for the input everyone. Contrary to my juvenile joking I really do respect your comments.
Dude I know what it's like to get picked last all the time. It doesn't happen anymore because the people I play with now are a bit more wise to my abilities, but I can totally see your reasoning.

Also, Glen Rice is pretty underrated.

Liked Posts:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
Also, Glen Rice is pretty underrated.[/quote]

When i lived in Phoenix i went to a Lakers-Suns playoff game in 97 or 98 and as i always do when going to a game i was the first one in (i love to go right up to the court and watch the shoot around and talk to the players as they come out and get high fives and autographs and stuff).

I'll never forget watching Glen Rice that night though as he was shooting around an hour before the game.

Saw him make 35 3-pointers in a row from all kinds of different angles.

Every single one of them was nothing but net. Perfect swishes. Man i wish i could do that.

35/35.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
Also, Glen Rice is pretty underrated.

When i lived in Phoenix i went to a Lakers-Suns playoff game in 97 or 98 and as i always do when going to a game i was the first one in (i love to go right up to the court and watch the shoot around and talk to the players as they come out and get high fives and autographs and stuff).

I'll never forget watching Glen Rice that night though as he was shooting around an hour before the game.

Saw him make 35 3-pointers in a row from all kinds of different angles.

Every single one of them was nothing but net. Perfect swishes. Man i wish i could do that.

35/35.[/quote]

Am i the only Bulls fan that respects Artis Gilmore?