Why do most Bears fans seem to be more optimistic right now than a year ago?

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because one was a team declining. The other is a team with a successful offense likely improving

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

4-12 ---> 8-8 ---> QB changes ---> Super Bowl
10-6 ---> 8-8

Ummm. What? One is declining, one is improving. You tell me again which was which.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And Forte's career year? Martellus Bennett having the best season of his career? The Oline starting 2 rookies?

Trestman's offensive acumen has clearly been proven this season. Now that everyone will be second year in it, it will be a juggernaut.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Greatest Show on Shoddy Turf?

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
Yes, the offense got a lot better. But the team got worse in the other 2 phases of the game. Their record was also worse as well. I'm not arguing either way, just curious.

8-8 with cutler out for just about 6 games, injuries and worst all time defense? Imagine if we were alittle healthier, our defense improved to like 20th and jay was in the offense another year.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Similar, but not exact, situations.

One fan base (the spoiled one) was pissed off.
The other fan base (the unsuccessful one of recent decades) is happy.

Again, not exact situations (tough to recreate that) but similar. The polar opposite reactions to the similar situations is my intrigue here.

But you're getting opposite reactions because the scenarios are so different.

BearsJR

Liked Posts:
Packer fan why are you still posting on our boards after the season is over for us?

PackerFan is actually a decent poster. He's been around for years, didn't just come in last week like some other 18 yr old asshat. He just doesn't like Trest and will find any way to hate on him. What the fuck!? Why am I defending a Packer fan? Die you cheese eating bastard, die!!! I feel better now.
Go Bears.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
For the first time in a long time, I'm confident that our Team is in good hands. Phil & Coach T are cerebral, meticulous planners with a very clear objective. There may be an occasional hiccup here and there, but I don't doubt for a second that we are on our way to a SuperBowl title...or two...or three...

I can not express how happy I am with the level of intelligence in our front office. That has been lacking for years.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
That makes no sense at all. So Green Bay was 4-12, declining, hired a new head coach to improve them (twice as many wins) and won the Super Bowl a few years later? What are you talking about?

I quoted the wrong post. Talking about how Trestman and Rolfe weren't similar.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And Forte's career year? Martellus Bennett having the best season of his career? The Oline starting 2 rookies?

Trestman's offensive acumen has clearly been proven this season. Now that everyone will be second year in it, it will be a juggernaut.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Two wide receivers with 1200+ yards

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
PackerFan is actually a decent poster. He's been around for years, didn't just come in last week like some other 18 yr old asshat. He just doesn't like Trest and will find any way to hate on him. What the fuck!? Why am I defending a Packer fan? Die you cheese eating bastard, die!!! I feel better now.
Go Bears.

That's accurate. I've been on Bears boards since 1999.

The Trestman hate thing is inexplicable to even myself. I'm a nice guy. I like people. I give them the benefit of the doubt. Trestman just rubs me the wrong way for so many reasons (and it's not fear of Bears success). I wish you all could see through him. Not because I want you to succeed. I'm just sad as a human that you don't see it too. He's a clown.

Go Pack Go!

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This.

The defense was a house of cards and the offense worse. Emery constructed a young solid offense in 2 yrs. Hopefully with his focus now squarely on the defense he can work similar magic. If he is even close to as on target, the Bears will be very dangerous as soon as next yr, as the offense should do nothing but get better with more continuity and player growth.

The offense is not as young as one would think. Here are the starters with approximate age next season, I didn't look up everybody's birthday, just took the roster on Bears website, and adding what year they will be in NFL next year to 22:

Garza 36
Cutler 31
Marshall 31
Bushrod 30
Forte 29
M. Bennett 28
Slauson 28
Fiametta 27
Jeffery 25
Mills 23
Long 23

Not saying it's real old, but wouldn't describe it as young either.

Other notable non-defensive players:

Mannelly 38
McCown 34
Gould 32
Bush 30
E. Bennett 29
Weems 30

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Well for me, as long as you can score points, you have a better chance of winning. Offense scores points. We've shown we can score points. Hell, 2nd in the league. A dumb buffoon knows that this offense is enough to win games as long as our defense gets better. With drafts picks focused on defense and free agency, who's not doing wishful thinking that our defense will play better. Hell, even with a new DC maybe. I hope so. In 2 or 3 games we got scorched out of 16 games. The other 13, we won or lost but a touchdown or less. That's being in the game like EA Sports. So if we can stay in games with what we had, imagine with better players on defense. And the offense has a year under their belts and will understand it better and then a squad of offensive players are going down to Florida to workout with each other and get better. Fuck yeah I'm optimistic about next year.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk Pro

sopclod

Liked Posts:
For me having a real NFL offense for the first time in almost 20 years is like having a spot-light shined in my face. I'm temporarily blinded to everything else. I suspect that if there aren't improvements in the other phases of the game next year the optimism will definitely die down.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
The offense is not as young as one would think. Here are the starters with approximate age next season, I didn't look up everybody's birthday, just took the roster on Bears website, and adding what year they will be in NFL next year to 22:

Garza 36
Cutler 31
Marshall 31
Bushrod 30
Forte 29
M. Bennett 28
Slauson 28
Fiametta 27
Jeffery 25
Mills 23
Long 23

Those guys average 28 years old and Garza may not be here next year and if he is it will most certainly be his last so replace his old ass and your oldest player is your QB (and having a QB at 31 isn't a big deal) and brandon marshall who has shown he knows how to keep himself in top shape.

In terms of why people are more excited now, I think those reasons have been discussed plenty so far. Laurence Holmes brought up a good point about Emery and his drafting though. It was great to hear Emery admit his mistakes in drafting Hardin and perhaps playing he and Shea and Bostic out of position. However, you hope that Emery has learned from this mistakes and tries to stop taking players and changing their positions. It worked with Kyle Long obviously but it hasn't worked on defense yet.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well for me, as long as you can score points, you have a better chance of winning. Offense scores points. We've shown we can score points. Hell, 2nd in the league. A dumb buffoon knows that this offense is enough to win games as long as our defense gets better. With drafts picks focused on defense and free agency, who's not doing wishful thinking that our defense will play better. Hell, even with a new DC maybe. I hope so. In 2 or 3 games we got scorched out of 16 games. The other 13, we won or lost but a touchdown or less. That's being in the game like EA Sports. So if we can stay in games with what we had, imagine with better players on defense. And the offense has a year under their belts and will understand it better and then a squad of offensive players are going down to Florida to workout with each other and get better. Fuck yeah I'm optimistic about next year.

Do you think that it might just be a weird cycle though? The "aging defense" was talked about for years. The offense just couldn't catch up. Now the offense has arrived but the defense sucks. Can the defense catch the offense before it becomes "aging"?

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Do you think that it might just be a weird cycle though? The "aging defense" was talked about for years. The offense just couldn't catch up. Now the offense has arrived but the defense sucks. Can the defense catch the offense before it becomes "aging"?

I actually think it can this time around. Hopefully I'm right. We don't need a top 5 defense. Top 16 will be fine. As long as we make key stops or turnovers. Every team is going to score on us. Every team and every time. What fun would it be if we stopped everyone on every play. Not. You'll know the results. What's the point of watching. That's the whole point of football. It's entertainment. You watch it and watch two teams go at it and hope at the end of the game, your team has one more point than the other team. That's what it's all about. Not to have all pro 22 starters on the field that get sacks every play and cutler throws TDs on every pass he makes. Where's the fun in that when you know your always going to win.

Yes I'm ranting on, but just typing away. Plus, Angelo and lovie, they had a great defense, and they still drafted defense and singed defensive players from free agency. Yes not all the time but most. At least emery realizes the offense is good enough and now I have to fix the defense.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
That's accurate. I've been on Bears boards since 1999.

The Trestman hate thing is inexplicable to even myself. I'm a nice guy. I like people. I give them the benefit of the doubt. Trestman just rubs me the wrong way for so many reasons (and it's not fear of Bears success). I wish you all could see through him. Not because I want you to succeed. I'm just sad as a human that you don't see it too. He's a clown.

Go Pack Go!

so the NFL head coach is a clown but the packer fan who spends his time posting on another teams message board is not? gotcha

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:

Garza 36
Cutler 31
Marshall 31
Bushrod 30
Forte 29
M. Bennett 28
Slauson 28
Fiametta 27
Jeffery 25
Mills 23
Long 23

Other notable non-defensive players:

Mannelly 38
McCown 34
Gould 32
Bush 30
E. Bennett 29
Weems 30

dont forget Wilson and Ford! i see them both playing next year