Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I believe the rumor that George McCaskey is pissed. He can see what we all see. I also think he sees the reality that a new "franchise" QB needs to be drafted and that that is best done with the GM and HC in agreement on the guy. As it seems Pace is not capable of drafting offense and Nagy can't coach...well...anything. I see George starting clean slate with GM/HC/QB all starting day one together.

Canth

Liked Posts:
If they do make a change, then I agree it should be a complete change with new GM and HC. Obviously, they also need to figure out the QB position, but I am not sure they will be in a position to necessarily address in the next offseason. The one thing they cannot do is reach for another QB - just because the expectation is to get a new one. They need to focus on finding the right guy, not just a guy. If that means you spend next offseason addressing the offensive line and other positions then so be it.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Foles is a $10.3 million dollar cap hit if he is cut, so he'll be around another year. The offensive line needs addressing, but I'm not sure exactly what is the best way to address it.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't see it happening. Pandemic year. Pace going into the last year of his deal. Nagy the last 2. I don't see the Bears eating money on both guys on a year with 50% revenue after a season where they will still likely finish 8-8 or better.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Pace & Nagy get another season.

All the meaningful contracts on this team are either up after next season (Hicks/Fuller/2018 draft class) or have relatively easy outs before 2022 (Mack/Foles). After that, the window is closed on keeping the defense together and enough leeway to blow the whole team up if a new GM wishes.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Foles is a $10.3 million dollar cap hit if he is cut, so he'll be around another year. The offensive line needs addressing, but I'm not sure exactly what is the best way to address it.

yes. Foles def stays.
The remainder of the schedule will decide if Nagy/pace stays. I think 7-9 or under gets them fired. That also changes the plans for 2021 season, which would probably mean we go for a tank/rebuild season next year

Montucky

Liked Posts:
yes. Foles def stays.
The remainder of the schedule will decide if Nagy/pace stays. I think 7-9 or under gets them fired. That also changes the plans for 2021 season, which would probably mean we go for a tank/rebuild season next year
Its probably as simple as if they make the playoffs they stay, and if they dont they are gone. I dont think they necessarily need to tear down and rebuild either, the Packers and Vikings are not particularly worrisome threats going forward.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
The one thing they cannot do is reach for another QB - just because the expectation is to get a new one.

Chargers “reached” for Herbert - how is that looking right now?

The only sin bigger than reaching for a QB is being a team without a franchise QB not taking a swing at one every chance you get until you do.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What they do this off-season will tell you all you need to know about ownership.

They can stand pat and blame it on COVID and hype up a team that could end up being .500(though i doubt that).

Or they can seriously reflect on what the Ryan Pace regime has been thus far and make a statement and tell the world that .500 is not good enough. Zero playoff wins and one playoff appearance in 6 years with a ton of money spent and high draft picks is not good enough.

Whats cheaper, eating the rest of Pace and Nagys contracts or setting another year of draft picks and money on fire, while setting your rebuild back another year?

Bust

Liked Posts:
The 5-1 start will all but ensure a clean slate.

If the Bears finish .500 this year (which is a long shot) would mean the team finished the season 3-7, they all gone

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We can hope. But I'd be surprised to see both of them fired. Many Bears coaches have survived 7-9 seasons. We'd basically have to lose out.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

IMO you have to roll with it and use your first two picks on OL. Tackle/G BPA between those two positions. I would go after a real center in free agency and let whitehair/daniels battle out for LG. Plug your draft pick in at RG or let him sit behind either Daniels/Whitehair for a year.

Foles isn't going anywhere, and he's a fine backup. If he has to start so be it, I think he (or whoever comes in) will be much better with actual blocking up front.

90% of the problems with Matt Nagy is he has allowed these guys to get complacent with their jobs. There is literally no competition for anyone on the offensive side of the ball. MAYBE at WR, but that's it.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Chargers “reached” for Herbert - how is that looking right now?

The only sin bigger than reaching for a QB is being a team without a franchise QB not taking a swing at one every chance you get until you do.

Yes, the Chargers appear to have found a good one in Herbert. He was also the 3rd qb taken and was 6th overall. So, imo, he is in that spot where you still expect there to be talent be there to develop and clearly it is working.

If I thought the Bears could find the next Herbert, I would be very happy. However, what I don't want is a repeat of something like 1999 where they drafted the 5th qb in the 1st round, Cade McNown, and there were reasons the other teams took the other guys. And for 2021, there appear to be 3-4 legit starting quality pro prospects. If you can get one of those, then great! But if they are gone, don't take the next guy just because.

I am not saying to never take a swing again when given the chance, but we have also seen over and over again now how much it sets the franchise back when you keep getting it wrong. Or, and this is what I mean by spending the next offseason on the line, drafting a guy but not having the surrounding pieces in place to enable the guy to develop or maximize his potential. Yes, a true franchise guy can overcome a lot, but they are not going to be in a position to get that true franchise guy next year. So, don't reach just because. Instead, start building something that means when you do go for it - say in 2022, then you give the guy a realistic chance to succeed.

Again, not saying 100% don't take a qb in 2021. I am just saying, if it's not there, so be it and don't make things worse trying to force something that just isn't there due to however the cards play out.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
The easy schedule and LUCKY wins early in the season is really going to come back and screw us. We will beat Detroit. We will beat MN at least once. We will find a way to beat Jax and/or Houston. We will get in the playoffs and get beat badly by a real contender. Nagy will be back. Pace will be back. We will get a lower draft pick that has no impact on the team. We won't be able to start looking ahead and until sometime next season.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The easy schedule and LUCKY wins early in the season is really going to come back and screw us. We will beat Detroit. We will beat MN at least once. We will find a way to beat Jax and/or Houston. We will get in the playoffs and get beat badly by a real contender. Nagy will be back. Pace will be back. We will get a lower draft pick that has no impact on the team. We won't be able to start looking ahead and until sometime next season.

That's what I thought after 5-2. This team, well offense is getting worse every game. It's certainly realistic that we can lose 10 games in a row and finish 5-11.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
IMO you have to roll with it and use your first two picks on OL. Tackle/G BPA between those two positions. I would go after a real center in free agency and let whitehair/daniels battle out for LG. Plug your draft pick in at RG or let him sit behind either Daniels/Whitehair for a year.

Foles isn't going anywhere, and he's a fine backup. If he has to start so be it, I think he (or whoever comes in) will be much better with actual blocking up front.

90% of the problems with Matt Nagy is he has allowed these guys to get complacent with their jobs. There is literally no competition for anyone on the offensive side of the ball. MAYBE at WR, but that's it.
I think drafting for need is a recipe for disaster. There is no doubt you're right that the offensive line is in absolute crisis right now but I still think that the Bears trying to draft the best offensive tackle on the board when they pick has a much lower chance of proving successful than drafting the best overall player. Drafting for need is how you wind up with Cole Kmet, drafting the best player available is how you wind up with Jaylon Johnson.

Its impossible to disagree with your laments about the lack of accountability. Lots of Bears players deserve to be benched and its simply not happening, hopefully the next coach will be a little more of a hardass in this regard.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
That's what I thought after 5-2. This team, well offense is getting worse every game. It's certainly realistic that we can lose 10 games in a row and finish 5-11.
I said it after 3-0 that this team can't continue to live on luck. We had so many lucky breaks and an easy schedule to start the season. So many superstars that we didn't have to play against because of injury. We are screwed until at least the 2022 season. Next season won't be much different because we still have wins on the schedule because of the shit level teams we play. It will be enough to at least get the 7 seed and have all of these assclowns back next year.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think drafting for need is a recipe for disaster.

In most cases yeah I would agree but those positions, OT specifically have been neglected for going on 6 years.. you could argue longer than that, I don't even remember our last tackle we drafted in the first two rounds.

For example we'd be set for a decade:
Ereck Flowers Tackle Mia 2015
Laramy Tunsil Tackle Tackle Miss 2016

We went Kevin White.. and Leonard Floyd..

Last edited:

Bust

Liked Posts:
next year the bears will be in cap hell. 5 defensive players take up over 85+ million in cap space. A popular player or 2 may need to go (Akiem Hicks is a strong possibility).

the organization does not need another Danny > Kwit or Quinn over Leonard contract weighing them down further with Pace at the helm another year.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
next year the bears will be in cap hell. 5 defensive players take up over 85+ million in cap space. A popular player or 2 may need to go (Akiem Hicks is a strong possibility).

the organization does not need another Danny > Kwit or Quinn over Leonard contract weighing them down further with Pace at the helm another year.

2021 is going to be a strange year because the Bears, along with a bunch of other teams are going to be in that same position if they do shrink the CAP.

SO you're going to have this flood of mid-tier free agents on the market, all competing for jobs. I guess what I am saying is that what we end up losing may equal itself out in terms of free agents because contracts will be smaller due to supply/demand.