Why I Think Bears Run Game Will Be Better in 2019

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
2) To that end exit Howard and enter Montgomery, Davis and Patterson. I think those 3 combined give you more quality depth and running options to fit the scheme. I think these guys combined with Cohen make for a more efficient running attack. The addition of these three is better than 2018 Howard.

a) Davis looked great in his lone start for Arizona and every other rep he had. He caught the ball extremely well in check down routes.

b) Patterson is one of best athletes in league if you factor size, speed and elusiveness. There is no one better at running jet sweeps. Someone did a great video on it, but I can't find it. Just know he is really good at it.

c) By all accounts Montgomery has looked great in OTAs in terms of his movement, quickness and hands. Take that for what it is worth.

3) Cohen is still a versatile stud as receiver or a runner.

4) Shaheen may be healthy this year and may have improved his blocking. Hopefully he can stay healthy this year. Converted TE Sowell may also provide a large run blocking option at TE if Shaheen can't stay on field. Obviously that should be a huge down grade in pass receiving ability, but we'll see. Presence of a large TE as receiving threat makes NFL style RPOs work better.

Cohen isn't adding anything new to the mix. I don't think you can rely on guys like Davis, Patterson and Shaheen to improve upon the loss of Howard. To me, its basically two things....is Montgomery a stud NFL RB, and can Kyle Long be healthy and play at a Pro Bowl level. All the other stuff is window dressing.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember years ago when the Bears got TE Matt Spaeth from the Steelers, and the running game went from 26th in the league to 9th (or something like that). Sometimes they would line him up at FB, and he was very effective. For some reason he stopped playing partway through his 2nd year and the Bears got rid of him. Made no sense. That was the only time the Bears were ever able to convert on 3rd and short. I would love to see Sowell on the field more in 2019.

Spaeth started most of the first half games in 2012 and the Bears started off strong...They stopped starting him and the Bears went on to lose 5 of 8 games the rest of the year..

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
To me, its basically two things....is Montgomery a stud NFL RB.
This is the big question, and one we'll obviously have to just hope for the best and wait and see. His college resumé isn't all that impressive.
and can Kyle Long be healthy and play at a Pro Bowl level. All the other stuff is window dressing.
Just essentially zero chance really. Going into 2019 hoping or counting on anything from Long is a huge mistake imo. It's baffling by the Bears FO, because I don't even know what their contingency plan is with how thin the line is. It's like they haven't paid attention the last 4 years at all.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
This is the big question, and one we'll obviously have to just hope for the best and wait and see. His college resumé isn't all that impressive.

Just essentially zero chance really. Going into 2019 hoping or counting on anything from Long is a huge mistake imo. It's baffling by the Bears FO, because I don't even know what their contingency plan is with how thin the line is. It's like they haven't paid attention the last 4 years at all.

But I think at least Long has proven he can play at a high level. You can hope for that in 2019 much moreso than "Adam Shaheen blocked someone once (then Howard tripped over him)" or "Mike Davis ran for 70 yards this one game" or "I remember Patterson ran well on this jet sweep".

Would be a good prop bet...Montgomery rushing for 1000 yards vs. Kyle Long starting 11 games.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would be a good prop bet...Montgomery rushing for 1000 yards vs. Kyle Long starting 11 games.

I'll take Long starting 11 games. I think a better chance that happens.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'll take Long starting 11 games. I think a better chance that happens.
Wow, you must have zero faith in Monty.

Give me the under on both, is that an option? I'll parlay it.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow, you must have zero faith in Monty.

Give me the under on both, is that an option? I'll parlay it.

That's not out of the question either.

As a side note, I don't like the Bears backup guard situation.

My guess is since they still have plenty of room under the cap they are gambling a vet will be released around TC time and give them an option.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That's not out of the question either.

As a side note, I don't like the Bears backup guard situation.

My guess is since they still have plenty of room under the cap they are gambling a vet will be released around TC time and give them an option.
Well they certainly haven't been looking to the draft for depth..

They'll need something, anything, so I'm sure you're right. I still say Long is out by week 5, just a gut feeling tho.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm excited to see what David Montgomery (Forte Clone, not running style, they just look the same if they had the same number per @dabears70) can do. I wasn't very high on him in the draft, but putting some faith that Nagy knows what he wants in a RB.

I am a bit higher on the OL than most around here it seems. I think they upgraded two positions at once with the Daniels move. Still not sure why they didn't just do it last year, but whatever. Leno is solid. Massie is serviceable and time will tell with Long. When your weakest link on the OL is Massie and a former Pro bowler in Long, then I think most teams would kill for that.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Awesome video for those who care to actually watch it and are smart enough to pay attention and understand it.
Few on CCS apparently - or these replies seem to address any of the nuances covered above. SMH

Great find and write-up to follow. Keep it up, even though it might seem like some of these bozos just go off topic. I've tried repeatedly to post articulate multi-point logic here too, and response is hit & miss. Save your content links for a rainy day tho...and sunny day to prove you were right > the Negative Nancies & meatball ignoramus.

You are such a joke. You are a terrible representative of CCS. Go away.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
You forgot that David Montgomery is also likely pre-injured like all of Pace's first picks of any given draft.

Wait, so Floyd (16) was injured when we drafted him? As was Trubisky (17) and Smith last year, too? I did not know that.

So in 5 drafts 1 of Pace’s first picks was, as you say, “pre-injured?” So 1 out of 5 is clear proof that all his first picks come pre-injured?

Funny thing, math.

dll2000

Liked Posts:
The run game will never be top notch here because even if its working, Nagy needs to run 2-3 trick plays per series. People tend to forget that Howard barely had 400 yards by december 1st and ended up with 975. When he started busting thru with the 15 yard runs this video shows, it was just setting up the defense for a trick play to another running back.

Great teams keep feeding that beast and destroy any confidence the opponent has. Sorry, we will never see that with Nagy. I dont care if Barry Sanders unretires and is playing at top form.

Funny how Kareem Hunt led entire league in rushing with Nagy as OC then.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The run game will never be top notch here because even if its working, Nagy needs to run 2-3 trick plays per series. People tend to forget that Howard barely had 400 yards by december 1st and ended up with 975. When he started busting thru with the 15 yard runs this video shows, it was just setting up the defense for a trick play to another running back.

Great teams keep feeding that beast and destroy any confidence the opponent has. Sorry, we will never see that with Nagy. I dont care if Barry Sanders unretires and is playing at top form.
When did the Patriots ever do that? What did Barry Sanders win? Did our record improve by doing it Nagy's way? Just saying since you seem to speak in absolutes.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
In my opinion the running game is as much a key for the Bears offensive improvement as Mitch. Both of the new runners, Davis and Montgomery were hand picked for this offense by Pace/Nagy. If the running game gives Nagy what he expects it will take a huge amount of pressure off of Trubisky. Run the ball well and it will give Trubisky wide open passing lanes. Also any of these backs can now be used as the first option in the passing game when their number is called, rather than the last option as Howard was.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm excited to see what David Montgomery (Forte Clone, not running style, they just look the same if they had the same number per @dabears70) can do. I wasn't very high on him in the draft, but putting some faith that Nagy knows what he wants in a RB.

I am a bit higher on the OL than most around here it seems. I think they upgraded two positions at once with the Daniels move. Still not sure why they didn't just do it last year, but whatever. Leno is solid. Massie is serviceable and time will tell with Long. When your weakest link on the OL is Massie and a former Pro bowler in Long, then I think most teams would kill for that.

I like the move of Daniels to center and think it will turn out well. Thayer goes to most of the practices has said Daniels will be a top 5 center in the league (Kruetz also) for a long time. He also said more than once that Daniels had a tough time adapting to NFL line play last season.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well they certainly haven't been looking to the draft for depth..

They'll need something, anything, so I'm sure you're right. I still say Long is out by week 5, just a gut feeling tho.

This guy maybe....

Un-drafted
Alex Bars ....Many speculated Bars would’ve been as high as a mid-round draft pick if not for that devastating knee injury. It didn’t take the 6-foot-6, 312 pound Bars long, though, to decide where he wanted to go after not being picked in April’s draft. Call it the Harry Hiestand effect.

Bars played under Hiestand’s tutelage at Notre Dame from 2014-2017, and said he always wanted to wind up with the Bears to work with his former coach — just as 2018 top-10 picks Quenton Nelson and Mike McGlinchey hoped to as well.

The undrafted guard was able to participate in veteran minicamp, allowing him to shake off some rust before his real push for a roster spot begins in training camp next month.

dll2000

Liked Posts:
I like the move of Daniels to center and think it will turn out well. Thayer goes to most of the practices has said Daniels will be a top 5 center in the league (Kruetz also) for a long time. He also said more than once that Daniels had a tough time adapting to NFL line play last season.

Daniels had a few games with assignment missteps, but he was incredibly fundamentaly sound, powerful and atheltic for a guy that came in at 20.

He is elite athletically for position. This guy will be one of best interior olinemen in league for years to come starting this year or perhaps next year since he just had position change again and went back to school in offseason to graduate. He will still be very good this year.