Why I'm NOT SOLD on TCU WR Quentin Johnston: NFL Draft Film Breakdown

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Caught only 8 out of 23 contested catches, has high drop percentage.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Steve Smith agrees w/ya.....said too many times he disappears

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
JSN is the answer to the Bears offense.

A good slot guy would really benefit Justin Fields but I think he'll be picked up at 10-16 same with Jordan Addison. Josh Downs & Dell are both guys that could fall in round two.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Yeah he seems very propped up by his profile and not his production. He screams bust for me.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah he seems very propped up by his profile and not his production. He screams bust for me.

He has a high upside but a low celling he's a guy that maybe worth developing but who knows if he puts it together.

greg23

Liked Posts:
He's an easy pass in round 1 where the bears will likely be picking 1-11 (trade or no trade).

Would be worth considering in round 2 but prefer others there

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Contributing WRs from this class will probably be guys that fly under the radar during the draft.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
I’m not sold on him either. I’d rather have Hyatt.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
High bust probability. Avoid. I'm passing on him in any fantasy leagues I'm in.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
A good slot guy would really benefit Justin Fields but I think he'll be picked up at 10-16 same with Jordan Addison. Josh Downs & Dell are both guys that could fall in round two.
There are rumors out there that none of these WRs will go in the top 15. Last year, there were 6 in the top 18 and none of these guys in this class are as good as the guys who went top 15 (debatable if any are better than Dotson or Burks). WR also isn't a huge need for anyone in the top 15 except maybe the Bears, Texans and Titans. The last 2 will be focused on QB foremost, though Texans do have 2 picks.

I think if these are the prevailing thoughts on Johnston, then that could come to fruition. Packers are at 15 and they never take a WR 1st round. They also may lose Rodgers, so may not be a priority to add WR talent when just used 2 picks on WR last year. After that, Washington, Steelers, Lions and Bucs aren't taking WR. So, there could be a free fall, especially if Addison isn't big enough, Johnston can't put the high pointing issues to rest, and JSN isn't fast enough.

I think you can see maybe 1-2 in the top 20, but then who knows. Johnston and Addison would be most teams' top 2. Then you have Hyatt who will run in the 4.3s at worst and Zay Flowers who will be similar with amazing tape. I think there's a better than 25% chance the Smith-Njigba makes it to Day 2.

msadows

Liked Posts:
There are rumors out there that none of these WRs will go in the top 15. Last year, there were 6 in the top 18 and none of these guys in this class are as good as the guys who went top 15 (debatable if any are better than Dotson or Burks). WR also isn't a huge need for anyone in the top 15 except maybe the Bears, Texans and Titans. The last 2 will be focused on QB foremost, though Texans do have 2 picks.

I think if these are the prevailing thoughts on Johnston, then that could come to fruition. Packers are at 15 and they never take a WR 1st round. They also may lose Rodgers, so may not be a priority to add WR talent when just used 2 picks on WR last year. After that, Washington, Steelers, Lions and Bucs aren't taking WR. So, there could be a free fall, especially if Addison isn't big enough, Johnston can't put the high pointing issues to rest, and JSN isn't fast enough.

I think you can see maybe 1-2 in the top 20, but then who knows. Johnston and Addison would be most teams' top 2. Then you have Hyatt who will run in the 4.3s at worst and Zay Flowers who will be similar with amazing tape. I think there's a better than 25% chance the Smith-Njigba makes it to Day 2.

Depends on how he looks and feels at the combine, and if he participates at OSU's proday and looks the same.

If he looks healthy, he isn't dropping out of the top 20. Too much talent + production there. He should test really well too.

Sweet spot is def round 2 as you said. Hyatt, Flowers, Boutte, Tillman, Rashee Rice, Dell should all be taken there.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:

Lmao Dell is not going in the top 3 rounds.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Depends on how he looks and feels at the combine, and if he participates at OSU's proday and looks the same.

If he looks healthy, he isn't dropping out of the top 20. Too much talent + production there. He should test really well too.

Sweet spot is def round 2 as you said. Hyatt, Flowers, Boutte, Tillman, Rashee Rice, Dell should all be taken there.
True about the combine/pro day stuff. But it remains to be seen how well he'll test. People from Ohio St are saying he'll run low 4.4s or better. But just watching his tape, he doesn't have that breakaway speed to outrun defenders when in the open field. I'm thinking high 4.4s or even low 4.5 speed, and that won't really help him very much.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Contributing WRs from this class will probably be guys that fly under the radar during the draft.
Jalin Hyatt from Tennessee is going to be one of if not the best receiver from this class. Im as sure about him as i was Mahomes coming out of college. All the criticisms be damned that dude is special. Catch it short can take it to the house. Can outrun the secondary and take it to the house. 50/50 balls and take it to the house. This dude is a td threat from anywhere on the field. Im telling you all if the bears dont get him and i dont think they will we are going to be dick ripping for years on why the hell didnt Poles take him when he had the chance.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Jalin Hyatt from Tennessee is going to be one of if not the best receiver from this class. Im as sure about him as i was Mahomes coming out of college. All the criticisms be damned that dude is special. Catch it short can take it to the house. Can outrun the secondary and take it to the house. 50/50 balls and take it to the house. This dude is a td threat from anywhere on the field. Im telling you all if the bears dont get him and i dont think they will we are going to be dick ripping for years on why the hell didnt Poles take him when he had the chance.
I respect this opinion. Hyatt is kind of like Mahomes in the sense that he was in a gimmicky college offense that we aren't sure translates well to the NFL. I do see some of the traits for Hyatt that it takes to be an elite WR in the league. He does seem to understand leverage and how to attack DBs in off coverage. He does well to attack blind spots of defenders and get lost in coverage, and it just takes a split second to lose him and he's open. He varies his speeds, doesn't take too long to get up to speed and has an extra gear to get the ball in the air. He didn't run a whole lot of routes (slant, screen, straight go, out and up go, and dig), but he seems pretty clean out of his breaks.

But he also hasn't been touched in 3 years of college. Tennessee spreads teams out so wide and plays him almost exclusively in the slot. And college DBs weren't able to get their hands on him. I do wonder what happens when NFL DBs are able to get physical with him. He doesn't seem very strong as IDK if I've ever seen him truly break a tackle. So it remains to be seen how he handles not being able to just run freely in the secondary.

He's a little different from Mooney, but I see them both being best at Z WR. I don't think he's going to thrive over the middle from the slot in the NFL. His slot work at Tennessee was still on the outer edge of the defense. So, not really sure of the fit but he's a fun player for sure. And you're right, I'd hate for him to be legit and miss out on taking him.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Lmao Dell is not going in the top 3 rounds.

With how wideouts are now babysat along with QB's, I wouldnt be shocked if he does.

He's so fucking small, but his skillset is nice. If this were a different world and you added 4 inches, he'd be easily a borderline first rounder.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Caught only 8 out of 23 contested catches, has high drop percentage.

4.4 40

He's clocked a 4.4 40 and back-squatted 575 pounds. Despite missing three games in 2021, he still made first-team All-Big 12. Johnston's 33 catches went for 634 yards and six touchdowns."