Why Justin Fields may be the best QB in the draft

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Glennon was a joke. I'd think Fields can learn more from Dalton.
I'm assuming you don't have any Bengal fans as friends?

I have a few. They love him as a person, but were so sick of him falling short that they wanted no transfer over to the next QB. When the Bengals knew they had the #1 overall there was talk about keeping Dalton, but the outcry was for their just to be a clean break.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Lance - Marriota
Wilson - Jimmy Clausen
Mac Jones - Jared Goff

Only Lawrence and Fields will survive. Only Fields will be top 3.
I'm not keen on that specific comparison. If you read any of the analysis from people that know the QB position (Chris Simms, Fran Duffy, Greg Cosell, etc...) they all came away thinking Wilson is a special talent. Specifically they all said how quick his feet are, his compact throwing motion and his ability to make off platform throws is very unique.

If we focus on Simms check his rookie QB rankings over the past few years. They are always controversial, but seem to work out. He actually had Wilson ranked above Lawrence.

Last edited:

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
I'm not keen on that specific comparison. If you read any of the analysis from people that know the QB position (Chris Simms, Fran Duffy, Greg Cosell, etc...) they all came away thinking Wilson is a special talent.

Looking at Simms specifically, check his rookie QB rankings over the past few years. They are always controversial, but seem to work out. He actually had Wilson ranked above Lawrence.

Thats true. From my perspective one or two of these 5 first round QBs has to bust though. I’d be shocked if they all become studs. I think Lance/Wilson have the highest ceiling in the group but also the least likely to reach it.

Wilson is definitely a #1 pick in a lot of years though. Definitely a great prospect.

Last edited:

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Wilson looks very talented, but I'm afraid that playing on a bad Jets team will have the same result as it did for Darnold. NY is a BRUTAL place to play as a QB.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I'm not keen on that specific comparison. If you read any of the analysis from people that know the QB position (Chris Simms, Fran Duffy, Greg Cosell, etc...) they all came away thinking Wilson is a special talent. Specifically they all said how quick his feet are, his compact throwing motion and his ability to make off platform throws is very unique.

If we focus on Simms check his rookie QB rankings over the past few years. They are always controversial, but seem to work out. He actually had Wilson ranked above Lawrence.
Yeah Wilson may bust, but it certainly won't be because of lacking talent like Clausen did. Wilson bust potential is more from his attitude (spoiled kid), and lack of high level competition he has faced going into next year.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I know Pace won't be candid about this until probably after he's long gone from the Bears, but I'd really like to know what lessons he learned from the Trubisky bust and how he applied those lessons in picking Fields.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I know Pace won't be candid about this until probably after he's long gone from the Bears, but I'd really like to know what lessons he learned from the Trubisky bust and how he applied those lessons in picking Fields.
Let Nagy do the QB evaluation and get extremely lucky with the way the draft falls. The end.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Wilson looks very talented, but I'm afraid that playing on a bad Jets team will have the same result as it did for Darnold. NY is a BRUTAL place to play as a QB.
The Jets could be sneaky. Here's what I'm thinking
  1. GM Joe Douglas has been around well built teams that focus on the trenches (Ravens and Eagles). Remember, he was hired AFTER they signed Adam Gase, so he was stuck with him. Now we'll see what he can do.
  2. Their OL was bad last year, but I think they are headed in the right direction - Last year's first round pick, LT Mekhi Becton, seems to be a hit. They drafted Alijah Vera-Tucker, who I'm a big fan of. He's got the feet to stay at tackle, but if his shorter arms limit him there he's shown to be one of the better guards in this draft.
  3. Weapons - Last year Darnold had Perriman, rookie Mims and Crowder. This year Wilson has Corey Davis, 2nd year Denzel Mims, Rookie speedster Elijah Moore, Former Jag Keenan Kole and Crowder. That group is far better. I'd add, Telvin Coleman + Michael Carter (rookie) + Perine + Ty Johnson is better than the Frank Gore + Ghost of Le'Von Bell show of 2020.
  4. Darnold was bad - If the Rookie QB Wilson had a solid QB who he's replacing that's one thing. Many still like the traits, but he's been bad his entire Jets career. Aside from a few big arm throws he looks like he processes the field slow, has been caught 'seeing ghosts' and doesn't make plays when his team needs him too. You can blame Gase or the Jets in general, but some of his failure lies in his own lap.
Add in some of the defensive additions and that their 'strength of schedule is tied for 19th (or 12th easiest) I'm thinking with a charismatic, highly regarded new coach (Robert Saleh) they could be close to .500 when the season is done.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Glennon was a joke. I'd think Fields can learn more from Dalton.

I'm assuming you don't have any Bengal fans as friends?

I have a few. They love him as a person, but were so sick of him falling short that they wanted no transfer over to the next QB. When the Bengals knew they had the #1 overall there was talk about keeping Dalton, but the outcry was for their just to be a clean break.

Well I felt that way when we got Dalton. But maybe Fields can learn what not to do, by watching Dalton.