Why Redskins should let Kirk Cousins walk

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't this be worse for us?

Team above us in draft gets Cousins.... they now don't need a QB.... teams below us can trade up to them to get their QB or those teams are less concerned with trading up because one less team picking high is taking a QB.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
so the bears could sign him at the vet minimum and he could sit behind money making mitch and learn the finer parts of the game

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I would rather teams above us draft the QBs so a true blue-chip player falls to us

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
we are assuming a bunch of teams will be drafting QBs early....only 1 QB was drafted before 9 last year.

You could argue that there are a few more QB hungry teams this year, but the available QBs are a bit questionable.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Cousins is interesting. There's a clear group of QBs that lead and carry their teams to wins and big seasons. Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Brees and maybe a couple more. There's the next group of QBs who are still really good, but need to be surrounded by a lot of talent like Ryan. And then there's the group that consistently put up great numbers yet their teams do nothing. It's not like they have the 2015 Bears defense holding them back from winning, but for whatever reason they just don't win. Those guys are QBs like Philip Rivers, Joe Flacco (other than 1 year), Stafford, and Cousins. It's probably better to overpay a QB so that you have one and try to fix things around him. But the Chargers and Ravens had pretty good defenses and OK run games and still were 9-7 teams in a bad conference. But a 25-30M/year contract to Cousins probably isn't going to end in a Superbowl ring at any point, so is it worth it? Tough decision for the Redskins.

Hotwheelz24

They See Me Rollin'
Liked Posts:
Cousins really does remind me a lot of Philip Rivers. They can get lots of yards, sexy stats, but at the end of the day they somehow don't translate into a bunch of wins, most notably playoffs wins. When you look at Rivers' career stats, it's really surprising to realize how little postseason success he's had.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cousins really does remind me a lot of Philip Rivers. They can get lots of yards, sexy stats, but at the end of the day they somehow don't translate into a bunch of wins, most notably playoffs wins. When you look at Rivers' career stats, it's really surprising to realize how little postseason success he's had.
Their teams would be much worse without them. They keep them in games. It's those franchises who never seemed to grow and find any other play makers. Everything just stays the same for them year after year. When I look at teams like the Chargers and Redskins, I see franchises who just don't seem at all committed to winning and most of their players seem unmotivated as well and that's what makes guys like Rivers and Cousins stand out cause they still give 100% 100% of the time.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
This exact thing, minus the wins bit, was said about Peyton Manning on the regular until he broke through for a Superbowl.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Regardless of where he goes, Cousins has made a fuck ton of money. And will likely still make a shit ton more.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Their teams would be much worse without them. They keep them in games. It's those franchises who never seemed to grow and find any other play makers. Everything just stays the same for them year after year. When I look at teams like the Chargers and Redskins, I see franchises who just don't seem at all committed to winning and most of their players seem unmotivated as well and that's what makes guys like Rivers and Cousins stand out cause they still give 100% 100% of the time.

I think in the Skins case, they don't really know how to win. They've made a ton of bad signings over the years. In the Chargers case, I'm not sure what the issue is. They have generally made some pretty decent moves. They led the league in sacks I believe. They got Casey Hayward, who's been one of the top CBs in the league, for an absolute steal of a contract. They've drafted OK, especially in the 1st couple rounds recently. They've re-signed guys that needed to be re-signed. Been in a tough division, but it baffles me why they haven't done better.

oober

Liked Posts:
If Cousins goes anywhere I expect it to be AZ Cardinals. would be perfect for him. They get Johnson back, the D is still serviceable. Could be a pretty good situation for him.