Why the criticism of Hester?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
In my opinion, he can become a fine receiver. He has the tools and can run shorter routes with ease. Is this the same thing with Grossman, where people hopped on the bandwagon to criticize him when he had limited experience and bad coaching?

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I am Hester's biggest fan on these boards probably, but he isn't a #1 or #2 receiver. He will do his best work in the slot.

Hester never really played WR until the NFL, which is the highest level of competition for the sport. To step into a starting spot at the highest level and do as well as he has is impressive. However we need a true #1/#2 WR. Not a guy still developing, learning to run routes, etc.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
My biggest problem with him isn't so much his fault I guess. He was transformed into a receiver and taken out of the returning kicks and punts where he excelled. I personally feel he will never be a top receiver. He like a lot of people say is a slot receiver at best. And Lovie wanting him to be the number one option doesn't work. He is good if you're trying to burn someone down the field for 50-60 yards but that is about it.

I guess you can say I don't blame Hester for this, I blame the coaching staff. Maybe in Martz's system he can excel, but I just don't see it.

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
I am Hester's biggest fan on these boards probably, but he isn't a #1 or #2 receiver. He will do his best work in the slot.

Hester never really played WR until the NFL, which is the highest level of competition for the sport. To step into a starting spot at the highest level and do as well as he has is impressive. However we need a true #1/#2 WR. Not a guy still developing, learning to run routes, etc.

Can't disagree when your so right. He is not a #1 or #2 receiver he would best serve the Bears as a KR and a slot receiver

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
He'd be a good 3 receiver, and an even better returner if he wouldn't be a pussy.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
He'd be a good 3 receiver, and an even better returner if he wouldn't be a pussy.

But that's the thing, being a #3 in the NFL meaning working in the middle of the field more often than not, and with his lack of size and strength and overall fragility, he won't make a good 3 in the league.

As for the criticisms of Hester, most of that comes from the fact that he isn't a very good receiver, or at least isn't good at the things a receiver is supposed to be good at. His hands have improved but they aren't great (average, at best), he is hard-pressed to understand even a dumbed-down version of the West Coast offense, doesn't run complicated routes well, and he isn't capable of being a go-up-and-get-it kind of guy. He's fast, and that's about it.

Now, the more football-tarded like to point out that he has either lead the team or been near the top of the team in receptions and yards, but when the receiving corps last year consisted of Hester, Knox and Bennett for the better part of the season, that's kind of like being the tallest midget. One of those guys had to catch more passes than the other (and thus be leading the team) but that doesn't do much (nothing, IMO) to make them "good" receivers.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with most of the above. He drops too many balls, he doesn't run routes well, and he's a bit small (5'11" 190lbs) to be an elite receiver.

On the other hand, every time he catches a pass he has the potential to turn it into a touchdown.

Since becoming a receiver in 2007, his stats have improved every year.
Yr------Games-rec--yds--avg---yds/game
2009---13-----57---757--13.3--58.23
2008---15-----52---665--12.8--44.33
2007---16-----20---299--15.0--18.75

There's no reason to believe he can't continue to improve, and maybe Martz can make him better than Turner could.

I definitely think, he can be a better receiver than he can be a cornerback, and using him just on returns seems to be a waste of talent.

Do I think Hester can be another Jerry Rice? No, absolutely not. But let's give him at least another year to see how good a Devin Hester he can be. Based on last yrs average, if he played 16 games, he would've had 931 yards. Maybe this year he can break 1000!

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In my opinion, he can become a fine receiver.
LULZ. What tools does he have that make you think that? He's fast and has above average hands.....yawn.

As for the criticisms of Hester, most of that comes from the fact that he isn't a very good receiver, or at least isn't good at the things a receiver is supposed to be good at. His hands have improved but they aren't great (average, at best), he is hard-pressed to understand even a dumbed-down version of the West Coast offense, doesn't run complicated routes well, and he isn't capable of being a go-up-and-get-it kind of guy. He's fast, and that's about it.

This.

/thread.

Now, the more football-tarded like to point out that he has either lead the team or been near the top of the team in receptions and yards, but when the receiving corps last year consisted of Hester, Knox and Bennett for the better part of the season, that's kind of like being the tallest midget. One of those guys had to catch more passes than the other (and thus be leading the team) but that doesn't do much (nothing, IMO) to make them "good" receivers.

This...

/thread...really

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
LULZ. What tools does he have that make you think that? He's fast and has above average hands.....yawn.

This.

/thread.

This...

/thread...really

He has more than straightline speed, he attains full speed and can keep it in and out of cuts. He can definitely burn someone, which I'm sure applies to route running...well, sometimes. And his hands are decent, I'll give you that.

I never said he'd be an amazing receiver, I just don't see why people kill the dude. This year was his first full year.

Hell, I liked Moose.

RustedShut

Liked Posts:
Taking Hester off returns was the dumbest move this regime made.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He has more than straightline speed, he attains full speed and can keep it in and out of cuts. He can definitely burn someone, which I'm sure applies to route running...well, sometimes. And his hands are decent, I'll give you that.

So he's fast? That's it.

Great.

He's a bad route runner. Has no feel for the position, ahs no natural instincts, doesn't understand the offense, there's really no reason for him to be a WR.

. This year was his first full year.
LOL. Do you even watch the Bears? This was NOT his first full season as a WR.

He played WR in 2007, He played in 15 games at WR in 2008, and he played 13 games at WR last season.
. Hell, I liked Moose.
Please quit posting.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
I always love the "Hester is still learning the position"

It's not often guys get nearly 3 years to "learn a position"

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I always love the "Hester is still learning the position"

It's not often guys get nearly 3 years to "learn a position"

I know. "Well he's only played in "x" amoutn of games." Who cares? He's been practicing as a WR since mini camp in 2007. It's been three damn seasons. At what point will these Hester backs just give up? I mean do they even watch tge guy or just cover their eyes for the game then look at the box score? At what time in 3 years has hester ever shown a natural feel for the position or even looked like a decent WR?

I mean Hester got hurt and Devin Aromashodu stepped in and immedietly out performed him.

Johnny Knox looked better at WR than Hester did. Hell, so did Earl Bennett. Hester is maybe the 4th best WR on this team....and that's assuming Juaquin Iglesias sucks.

Manticore

Liked Posts:
I fully support Hester,and I like what he brings to the table as far as being a reciever goes.Everyone wants to hate him,and all of a sudden couch potato football analysts want to talk about route running. Either way,he is what he is, an average reciever that can and will put up decent numbers.

Everyone gets caught up in the "number 1 and number 2 reciever" shit. We'll see him in the traditional slot role and on the outside putting up good numbers. He did so well on special teams,everyone wants to put his skills down,those of which are undeniably being tuned.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I fully support Hester,and I like what he brings to the table as far as being a reciever goes.Everyone wants to hate him,and all of a sudden couch potato football analysts want to talk about route running. Either way,he is what he is, an average reciever that can and will put up decent numbers.

Everyone gets caught up in the "number 1 and number 2 reciever" shit. We'll see him in the traditional slot role and on the outside putting up good numbers. He did so well on special teams,everyone wants to put his skills down,those of which are undeniably being tuned.

I doubt many people "want" to "hate" Hester, it's just that people need to be reminded (repeatedly, apparently) that he isn't that good of a wide receiver. And I don't know where the hell you get this notion that he puts up "good" numbers for a wide receiver: he has never finished higher than 40th in the league in receptions, yards, yards per reception or TDs, and more often than not he has finished well below the 40th spot in ALL of those categories.

So we have seen that he's not good at many of the things that are to be expected from an NFL wideout (he has speed, that's it), and he hasn't even been very good in the stats department...yet people still cling to Hester like he's some "underrated" producer that detractors just "don't get".

He's dumb and bad, just accept it already.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I doubt many people "want" to "hate" Hester, it's just that people need to be reminded (repeatedly, apparently) that he isn't that good of a wide receiver. And I don't know where the hell you get this notion that he puts up "good" numbers for a wide receiver: he has never finished higher than 40th in the league in receptions, yards, yards per reception or TDs, and more often than not he has finished well below the 40th spot in ALL of those categories.

So we have seen that he's not good at many of the things that are to be expected from an NFL wideout (he has speed, that's it), and he hasn't even been very good in the stats department...yet people still cling to Hester like he's some "underrated" producer that detractors just "don't get".

He's dumb and bad, just accept it already.

And for all his "speed" he hasn't been a real deep threat since the end of the 2007 season.............

Lefty

Liked Posts:
And for all his "speed" he hasn't been a real deep threat since the end of the 2007 season.............

Yeah, he just really isn't a very good receiver, yet for some reason a segment of fans refuse to even acknowledge any part of any counter-arguments made to their position of "Devin will be alright". I don't get it.

And like I said in the other thread, we are going to be talking about this topic tonight on the show, so all you Devin lovers and haters should tune in and give us a call. Check the 643 Sports thread in the Announcements section for more details.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
So he's fast? That's it.

Great.

He's a bad route runner. Has no feel for the position, ahs no natural instincts, doesn't understand the offense, there's really no reason for him to be a WR.

LOL. Do you even watch the Bears? This was NOT his first full season as a WR.

He played WR in 2007, He played in 15 games at WR in 2008, and he played 13 games at WR last season.

Please quit posting.

You apparently are not getting my point.

He has the tools to be a good receiver, potential is my point. If you don't see his tools, then I'm not gonna try to get my point across.

Yes, I watch the Bears every single game. And yes, this was his first year being a full-time starter.

Being thrown in and out of a lineup can mess with someones head. I'm sure you'll disagree with everything I say 'cause apparently you're that type, so I'll agree to disagree.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You apparently are not getting my point.
No, the problem is that you have no point.

He has the tools to be a good receiver, potential is my point.
His "tools" consist of good speed..that doesn't equate to deep threat production. Look at his YPC and Long receptions....

And decent hands.

He has no other tools that make WR's good/great.

Yes, I watch the Bears every single game.
Doubtful.

And yes, this was his first year being a full-time starter.

That's not what you said dip shit.

Even still, how is it a plus for Hester to barely out produce his "part time" starting season with his first full time starting season? How does this show progress?

Being thrown in and out of a lineup can mess with someones head. .

You're an idiot. He has been practicing as a wide receiver for 3 seasons. There was no "messing" with his head because he has known for 3 seasons that he is a WR.

You're a fool.

Manticore

Liked Posts:
All I know is, I've posted the stats over at VSN that clearly show the decent numbers he's put up. He's made substantial improvements every year.

I don't know how anyone can sit there,and watch Devin Hester continue to improve over the course of 3 seasons and still harp about how terrible he is. Have you not watched any games since the superbowl season?

Thrown at- 16 times
Receptions- 8
Catch Percentage-50%
129 recieving yards and 1 touchdown-3 drops

Thrown At- 86 times
Receptions- 51
Catch Percentage-59.3%
665 Yards and 3 touchdowns-4 drops

2009(13 games)
Thrown at-89 times
Recpetions-57
Catch Percentage- 64%
757yards and 3 touchdowns.- 4 drops

Braylon Edwards-2009
Thrown At-104
Receptions-51
Catch Percentage-49%
836 yards and 5 touchdowns-6 drops

And for a little more parody, Hester averaged 1 drop per 14.25"thrown at attempts" while Bernard Berrian averaged 1 drop per 18 "thrown at attempts". Again, I hate to rehash this. But not bad numbers for the most terrible reciever in the league. He's not a fantastic reciever,he never will be. I'd call him mediocre-average. If you can't agree,then I'm positive you're spending a little too much time sucking on Mark Schelerethelrelth's hard-on for the Broncos.

Status
Not open for further replies.