Will Chicago Bears New Training Regimen Reduce Injuries?

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Can the Chicago Bears change the injury bug that has decimated the team the last couple of seasons?

Leonard Floyd. Eddie Goldman. Danny Trevathan. Kyle Fuller. Zach Miller. Cameron Meredith. Kevin White. Kyle Long.

No, that’s not a list of best-selling Chicago Bears’ jerseys, that is just a small sample size of some of the key players that have missed significant time due to injuries the past couple of seasons in Chicago.

It’s hard to win football games when several of your starters are missing time with injuries, and it’s certainly more difficult to do so when the depth on the team is paper-thin thanks to the rebuilding process that has been taking place under GM Ryan Pace.

The Bears had 16 players hit Injured Reserve last season. In 2016, that number was 21. In fact, the Bears’ set records with how injured the team was in 2016.

With the 2018 Bears ready to take a step forward and compete for a playoff spot, the one thing that must change this season is the health of the roster.

Pace addressed the team’s injury concerns at the end of the season, according to Brad Biggs:

It’s something that’s occurred three consecutive years and something we’ve looked at closely. We did a lot to address it last year, whether schedule changes, tracking data, a lot of tweaks. But it wasn’t enough. With parity in our league, injuries play a big factor in our results. It’s something we have to get on top of, and that’s my job. There’s going to be studies into why are these teams the healthiest, why are these teams not, and are there some commonalties? But we have to get that fixed because it’s affecting our results.

How much were the injuries attributed to bad luck and how much was on the training staff?

“It was likely a mixture of both. It was concerning to see so many soft tissue and muscle tears. That usually points to over training or a lack of a proper plan,” says Ross Read, a Senior Trainer at FitPro West in Chicago who has also covered the Bears for 312 Sports and other outlets.

Does that mean that John Fox’s coaching staff was behind the times, not just in the game plan for the offense but in the game plan in the weight room as well?

“I believe the training staff and head coach were stuck in the past, fitness has evolved to a point where we focus more on smart lifts as opposed to big lifts,” Read continued. “We also focus on recovery and building strength incrementally as opposed to loading too much on a person. The Bears seemed to have failed in this area in the past.”

With a new coaching staff in Matt Nagy, the Chicago Bears are also changing the training staff structure as well. Andre Tucker has been hired as the team’s head athletic trainer and Jason Loscalzo will serve as strength coach. These will be the two men that will be in charge of lessening the injury load that has faced the team. How can they do that? For starters, by evolving the way the team trains.

“Andre is large proponent of building explosive power which is very important for any NFL player. Most importantly, he treats every player individually,” says Read. “Not having every guy on the same program means you play to their strengths in the weight room while also working on their deficiencies.”

For years, the idea of training camp was beating up the body and seeing who survived two-a-days and pushing the body to the extreme on a daily basis. But now? Trainers understand the importance of rest and recuperation. That’s something that Tucker knows and stresses with all his players: proper rest and recovery will strengthen the body, not weaken it.

Customizing training programs for individuals and making sure the body has enough time to fully recuperate seems like common sense in this modern era but it may be something that some teams still neglect. The Bears spent much of the time in training camp over the last few seasons playing in the late morning and early afternoon. The Bears had mostly consistent practice times, but John Fox was known to move practices around from time to time. This season, Nagy has the Bears practicing early in the morning and at the exact same time every day.

The benefits of this are obvious, according to Read. “Of course it’s beneficial to the player. These guys want to go out there and get practice done while they’re physically fresh first thing in the morning and the temperature isn’t at its peak like in the afternoon.” Warmer temperatures mean more dehydration. More dehydration means more strain on the body, and thus, a higher risk for injuries.

“The body responds best when it’s on a consistent schedule, messing around with different eating, practice and lifting times can really throw off a player’s performance, ability to recover adequately and mess with their psyche,” according to Read. “The body needs a routine and performs best when you stick to it.”

With a new training staff in place with new philosophies, hopefully the Bears roster is more flexible, well-rested and in better shape. If the Bears drop their soft tissue injuries this season, the overall health of the team should increase dramatically. A less rigid body is also better adept to absorb blows and, in theory, could decrease the amount of non-soft tissue injuries as well.

While Roquan Smith will lead the headlines for the Bears’ rookie class and Allen Robinson will grab all the attention of the Bears’ new free agent acquisitions, the argument could be made that Tucker and Loscalzo are the more important additions to the team this season.

If the Bears want to compete this season, they have to stay healthy. They can add as many new pieces to the offense they want, but if they aren’t on the field, it doesn’t matter. Tucker and Loscalzo won’t be getting headlines this season, but their role in the team’s success this year cannot be understated.

-Bill Zimmerman

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's hoping, though it was a little concerning to see Aaron Lynch get a hamstring injury.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Last year, it would have torn off his bone.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good to see that Pace got my memo a couple weeks ago and is making these necessary changes to a dismal training staff. I just hope Pace has learned that when your 80 year old coach is asking for something called a "medicine ball"...get involved sooner rather than later.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Maybe, It should reduce some of them you would think. But many times injuries just happen, lots of luck. Broken bones just happen, nothing will change that. Miller's injury was freak as they get

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They could have hired me and reduced their injuries. Doing nothing but telling guys to stretch, rest and not overdo it would do less harm than what was happening here.

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Is the new modern day of the way they should be training even correct? Just seems like NFL players in general get injured more now then say 20-30 years ago. Yes, players are bigger and faster, so that plays a part, just wondering

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Everyone will be using TB12 in a few years anyway.

Rgrigutis

Liked Posts:
The way I see it is that the musculature is so developed that it overcomes the ligature. Sort of like a hi power engine blowing up the transmission. Tendons and ligaments break trying to transfer power from overdeveloped muscles

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
We are finding more impressive ways to build muscle...our evolution of ligaments can't handle some of the activity we do with said muscles.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
In an effort to become more efficient, the Bears trainers have combined weightlifting and dating

9ce0ee7db3054423864a942141ac1c17.gif

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We are finding more impressive ways to build muscle...our evolution of ligaments can't handle some of the activity we do with said muscles.
This makes sense

Tostada

Liked Posts:
Mierda...i work out with a medicine ball..it is a fantastic workout that builds strength and adds flexibility. If anything, those old idiots had them doing the opposite. Fuck....a rumba class would have been better than what the old regime was doing.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The way I see it is that the musculature is so developed that it overcomes the ligature. Sort of like a hi power engine blowing up the transmission. Tendons and ligaments break trying to transfer power from overdeveloped muscles

This is true. Tendons, ligaments, and even bone can also increase in strength/toughness, but not at near the same rate as muscles do. These athletes push their bodies to the absolute max, and sometimes, they just push over that line and injuries happen. No training regimen is going to be able to prevent these things.

Look at olympic athletes...they have the top training regimens in the world, but still get injured often. It is just a reality of pushing a body that far physically.

Training right may lessen the risk, but the risk is still high.