Will Emery surprise everyone in the draft again?

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Latest draft rumor from Matt Miller's weekly scouting notebook:

"— The Chicago Bears are rumored to have strong interest in the cornerback position. A source with a team picking after the Bears in Round 1 tells me they expect the team to draft the best corner available with pick No. 14."

I could see one of Dennard/Gilbert if there or Verrett/Fuller (screams of a Emery pick) at 14.
And I don't think anyone should be upset with that. Both Gilbert and Dennard are outstanding prospects at 14, Fuller/Verrett should Emery trade down.

bearmuff

Liked Posts:
I was just thinking about Emery's #1 picks in his first two years, and in both instances they were surprises. I don't recall any mock drafts picking the Bears to take Shea or Long. Considering some of his surprise free agency/contract extension moves (the Cutler extension and the Allen signing as examples), he seems to do a great job of not showing his hand, and his inner circle has done a great job of keeping all information in house. And with the signings on D, as many people have noted, the draft is wide open for the Bears. I'm a proponent of drafting the best player available rather than drafting for need, and while I'd like to see the Bears address the secondary in the draft, they've already got the pieces on defense to at least be league average, which is all they need with their weapons on offense. Does anyone else expect Emery to go in an unexpected direction, rather than drafting an assumed name like Donald or Ha Ha?

mayocks first mock had long to us-- i think it was his first

i agree with gilbert

JaySix

Liked Posts:
I think by being active in FA making some smart signings, Emery has put himself in a position to go BPA with certain picks.

If they would make the decision to go O at 14 in order to create this undefensible O and then line up picks on D after that I would be willing to teust their professional opinions on how to build our team. Like someone allready said if Trestman wants to run a lot of 2 TE sets Ebron could be special and we would be a nightmare to matchup against...

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
don't think we should we should give any passes for Shea, he may be a good LB who knows.

now is the time to find out if Emery can draft Defensive players, love what he did in FA but don't stop now !

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
don't think we should we should give any passes for Shea, he may be a good LB who knows.

now is the time to find out if Emery can draft Defensive players, love what he did in FA but don't stop now !

Why would drafting defensive players be any different? The analytic process you go through to grade them is exactly the same, you're just looking for different skillsets and scheme fits.

james sanders

DE/OLB
Liked Posts:
If he goes offense, it should only be for one of the three top OTs.

If he takes a center at #14 - even without holes on D - it would be a big mistake. And while Ebron is a good TE, I can't see that at #14.

OT, DT, LB, S, CB....all should be in play at #14. Just don't reach!

A trade down wouldn't be out of the question IF it's not too far and we don't end up with mediocrity.

I don't know of any centers that have a first round grade on them.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
"I don't yet know who you are. I don't yet know what I want. If you are looking for paycheck, I can tell you I only have enough for a vet minimum or rookie salary. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like mock-drafters. If you let Cliff Stein go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will draft you."

Phil%20Emery.jpg

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Emery gets a pass on Shea because he salvaged it with Jeffrey the very next pick. If you told us the goal was to get one pro-bowler from the first two picks would you be satisfied with that goal? Yes....(the Hardin pick was just all around bone headed and way early, but pressured by our continued need for safety because we won't take one in the first round and be done).

Anyway. Maybe Shea can be a versatile SLB for 40-60% of snaps. Great. Lets hope, but we still need a youthful answer someday at

DT, FS, SS, CB, C, 2nd TE, and slot WR.

I think that is where you will see our allotment of picks deployed.

If Shea was a prospect that fit our scheme, I could give him a pass. Since Shea was not only out of left field but was a square peg among a bunch of round holes, he doesn't get a pass for that.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Shea was a prospect that fit our scheme, I could give him a pass. Since Shea was not only out of left field but was a square peg among a bunch of round holes, he doesn't get a pass for that.

Yes....I agree with that for the most part. That made it egregious. However, Shea was the type of DE that Lovie probably described that he wanted, if he didn't single him out himself. I can give him a pass, because he had that influence, and because he found Roddy White in Falcons orginization. With his second pick their he went to what he knew, which is offense and WR's. Size/Speed with Long the next year.

And so....I think we will continue to see size and speed until it fails him, so I question whether the pick won't be Nix? Not Donald to everyone's chagrin.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont think the position pick will be a suprise but the player might be. Same as Shea, everyone knew we needed a DE, but he was the last guy anyone thought wed pick to be a DE.

I predict we'll see Phil pick player others have ranked lower than who is on the board, for example... I can see him passing on Donald for Hageman at pick 14. Would not shock me at all.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
He'll take Ebron because Cutler doesn't have enough NBA type guys to get the ball for him.

Kodiak

Liked Posts:
"With the 14th pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Chicago Bears select... Ryan Shazier, linebacker Ohio State University."

Bears fan break the Internet in response.

Shazier is an Emery pick. And, I would love it. But I would expect him to move down in the draft 4-6 slots to get him and pick up an extra pick if he does. But not past #20 Arizona, who covets him. The players [that would be available] that are likely worthy of the #14 pick are Barr and Gilbert, IMO on defense. But Shazier's "Athletic Index" is off the charts.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:

Ugggh- I really want the Bears to get Ward, but I don't think he'll last to #51. I also wouldn't mind seeing the Bears trade down #14 to Cleveland for #24, #71 (3rd) and #106 (4th)....or a trade like this. This deal would make sense as Cleveland may have to shoot back up in the 1st after passing on a QB at #4 to be sure they grab one at #14.

Last edited:

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
My guess for an "Emery pick" is Quarles.

Or, as I've suggested before... he's going to shock the world with a draft day trade sending Cutler to a team for multiple picks and then draft Jimmy G at 14.