Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He has 2 years and about $25M left on his deal.

He's been doing well the last 2 weeks or so, and has shown that he can DH occasionally(in a small sample size).

So my question is two fold

1. Has Soriano increased his value?

2. Do you think that Soriano is traded this season?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is entirely in soriano's court. If there was no 10-5 rights involved Soriano would have been gone by now, but it is up to him to open up the places he is willing to go before any deal is likely.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Happy to see him hit two HR's today. We need to see him get hot and stay hot for the next two weeks or so.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No I don't. He is only marketable as a DH right now but I doubt the need will be there in other teams.

To be honest I feel that Scott Hairston will be more marketable. He is cheaper/cost less on a return and has a year of control. Plus younger and less likely to lose to injury.

patg006

Liked Posts:

He's been doing well the last 2 weeks or so, and has shown that he can DH occasionally(in a small sample size).

1) Yes.

2) No. I still dont believe Jedstein will get the desired return, and at this point it wont get better. An AL team would really have to get desperate, and there will be some, sure. Oakland, Texas, even KC and Cleveland in the mix of the weak AL central can. But the return? Cubs wont see a top 5 prospect. Lucky to see one in the 7-10 range. And it isnt worth paying 20+ million to watch a 30 HR, 100 RBI player play elsewhere.....especially with all of the resident fan armchair GMs being the first to cite age as a problem. Age and money get in the way with our armchair gms; instead of watching his performance. Another reason I lament certain cubs fans.

At this point, eat it and let him contribute next year, they're going to lose DeJesus and Nate; and a Sweeney and Bugo OF leaves nothing to look forward to. If the plan is to surround the 'savior of mankind' Anthony Rizzo with good bats, taking Sori away now does the opposite.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1) Yes.

2) No. I still dont believe Jedstein will get the desired return, and at this point it wont get better. An AL team would really have to get desperate, and there will be some, sure. Oakland, Texas, even KC and Cleveland in the mix of the weak AL central can. But the return? Cubs wont see a top 5 prospect. Lucky to see one in the 7-10 range. And it isnt worth paying 20+ million to watch a 30 HR, 100 RBI player play elsewhere.....especially with all of the resident fan armchair GMs being the first to cite age as a problem. Age and money get in the way with our armchair gms; instead of watching his performance. Another reason I lament certain cubs fans.

At this point, eat it and let him contribute next year, they're going to lose DeJesus and Nate; and a Sweeney and Bugo OF leaves nothing to look forward to. If the plan is to surround the 'savior of mankind' Anthony Rizzo with good bats, taking Sori away now does the opposite.

I doubt he will repeat the 30 100 again.

2012: 2013
Apr 0.............1
May 7.............5
Jun 8............3
Jul 4............3
Aug 5............
Sep 8............

so going into Jul last year he had 15 this year: 9. Allso add in the ASB that can cool off a hot streak. Not that he had only 4 last year in July.

25 tops is what we should expect which is better then any replacement player for sure. But not worth a top 100 prospect.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

1. To be honest, I'd say Soriano's value has been the same over the last 18 months. He is what he is at this point -- a defensive liability with good numbers from the left side of the plate, and a small shot to swipe some bases. The thing that scares me is his alarmingly low amount of walks this year (just 9 in 312 plate appearances). The conventional wisdom is that he'd be best suited for a DH role or an AL corner outfielder.

2. Now figures to be as good a time as any to deal Soriano. The conventional wisdom seems to be that the Cubs are willing to eat a substantial amount of his income in order to facilitate a deal -- the problem lies in what exactly a team is willing to give up in order to land Soriano. One figures his production shouldn't take a substantial dip going into next year, meaning teams figure they can pencil in between 20-25 homers, around 75 RBIs, tons of strikeouts, and horrible defensive mechanics. I'd say there's a 60% chance he gets traded, with San Francisco, Detroit, Cleveland and Arizona the most likely destinations. The largest obstacle is going to be working with Soriano because of his 10-5 rights.

patg006

Liked Posts:
I doubt he will repeat the 30 100 again.

2012: 2013
Apr 0.............1
May 7.............5
Jun 8............3
Jul 4............3
Aug 5............
Sep 8............

so going into Jul last year he had 15 this year: 9. Allso add in the ASB that can cool off a hot streak. Not that he had only 4 last year in July.

25 tops is what we should expect which is better then any replacement player for sure. But not worth a top 100 prospect.

Even then, Jos saying 20-25 with 75+ home runs being the expectation now; the Cubs still are not going to get desired value for Sori.

I forgot about his 10-5, which also could hamper a deal.

Regardless, he's more of an asset to this team than he is a liability. Pay him to play for this team, not another team.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
1. To be honest, I'd say Soriano's value has been the same over the last 18 months. He is what he is at this point -- a defensive liability with good numbers from the left side of the plate, and a small shot to swipe some bases.

A. He is a right handed hitter, not a left handed hitter.

B. He isn't even remotely close to being as bad defensively as some people like to believe he is.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I say Yes cause i think Some contending team will want him to help lineup IF Cubs basically pay most of salarly. I wouldnt expect much back either

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I say Yes cause i think Some contending team will want him to help lineup IF Cubs basically pay most of salarly. I wouldnt expect much back either

That happened last year, and Soriano nixed the deal. It is only going to happen if Soriano is willing to go to more than just a few places most of which don't want or need him.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
That happened last year, and Soriano nixed the deal. It is only going to happen if Soriano is willing to go to more than just a few places most of which don't want or need him.

Which now you would have to think that he will open up and be more receptive. He wants to win a WS, and it aint going to be with the Cubs. I believe he would go to any contender at this point.

I know I would if I were Soriano seeing as the Cubs have done little to nothing to surround him with any kind of talent.

As far as Dejesus goes, he will probably be a Cub next year too. They aren't going to trade the whole outfield.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Which now you would have to think that he will open up and be more receptive. He wants to win a WS, and it aint going to be with the Cubs. I believe he would go to any contender at this point.

I know I would if I were Soriano seeing as the Cubs have done little to nothing to surround him with any kind of talent.

As far as Dejesus goes, he will probably be a Cub next year too. They aren't going to trade the whole outfield.
Last year was worse and he refused to go to the team that won the World Series last year. I know that situations has changed since then, but until he is traded and accepts the deal I believe he finishes his contract in Chicago. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if the Cubs opening day OF is the same next year as this year's.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Last year was worse and he refused to go to the team that won the World Series last year. I know that situations has changed since then, but until he is traded and accepts the deal I believe he finishes his contract in Chicago. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if the Cubs opening day OF is the same next year as this year's.

He also has openly stated that he wants to go to a team that has a chance to win the WS. The Cubs aren't going to.

The Cubs outfield won't be the same, but you would have to think that the Cubs are going to go on the cheap as usual. I could see Dejesus and Schierholtz being brought back and the Cubs finding a new left fielder. It could be a Michael Morse type or something like that. Just sayin'.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He also has openly stated that he wants to go to a team that has a chance to win the WS. The Cubs aren't going to.

The Cubs outfield won't be the same, but you would have to think that the Cubs are going to go on the cheap as usual. I could see Dejesus and Schierholtz being brought back and the Cubs finding a new left fielder. It could be a Michael Morse type or something like that. Just sayin'.

We will wait to see, but until he accepts a deal I have a hard time believing he is willing to go to just any contender that doesn't fit his very specifics demands. We both seem to agree that the odds are right now that the Cubs keep at least 2/3 of their current OF which is more than most thought at the start of the season.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
We will wait to see, but until he accepts a deal I have a hard time believing he is willing to go to just any contender that doesn't fit his very specifics demands. We both seem to agree that the odds are right now that the Cubs keep at least 2/3 of their current OF which is more than most thought at the start of the season.

I see them trading 2/3 of the OF with an outside shot of trading them all. I also believe even though Barneys hasn't been rumored that he is being shopped as well.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see them trading 2/3 of the OF with an outside shot of trading them all. I also believe even though Barneys hasn't been rumored that he is being shopped as well.

I'd be shocked if they traded 2/3 of the starting OF from the start of the year. I think moving Garza and Gregg is the highest priority and we will see what goes from there. Again could be wrong and there could be a mass exodus at the deadline, but I just think the logisitics of making those deals makes it unlikely that one or two of the guys that aren't FAs to be get moved. It shall be interesting to watch play out.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Even then, Jos saying 20-25 with 75+ home runs being the expectation now; the Cubs still are not going to get desired value for Sori.

I forgot about his 10-5, which also could hamper a deal.

Regardless, he's more of an asset to this team than he is a liability. Pay him to play for this team, not another team.

Theo should ask for a top 100. He is worth a 100-200 player. In layman's terms: he is not equal to Soler in trade value. He is worth Lake, Vogelbach or Szczur type of return. I don't expect a GM to give that up.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Well if he wanted to retire a year early he could ok a deal to a team that would pay the rest of this year and the Cubs ship over 2014's pay then the team that took him on cuts him after the year. I do not see the gain from the Cubs side. LF production would drop. They would lose a needed power RH bat. But to save a few mil wouldn't put it past the Ricketts. Sori could retire his knee's a year early or if he could come in late year as a rental hitter for a contender for a ring. There are a few scenerios that could play out here. I just don't expect more then a BP type who can throw in the mid 90's.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
schurholtz would be the only OF I can see traded. soriano gonna be hard because of money and 10/5 rights, be a lot easier to work something out in off season or more so next yr deadline. If they do end up moving all OFers I hope its for the purpose of looking at some kids, I cringe at the thought of an OF of Sweeney boguvic and borbon for 2 months