1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
MLS has only been around for 16 years, and has proven to be more successful than any American sports league not named Major League Baseball, National Football League, National Basketball Association, or National Hockey League.

But will it ever achieve parity or overtake the big European leagues as time goes on? Or at least become a top 10 league in the world?

Soccer is the most popular youth sport in America, so I think it could reach Top 10 status eventually. Just a matter of drawing more fans so salaries can go up to keep top American talent.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
MLS has only been around for 16 years, and has proven to be more successful than any American sports league not named Major League Baseball, National Football League, National Basketball Association, or National Hockey League.

What's the competition? WNBA and Lacrosse?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
What's the competition? WNBA and Lacrosse?

No. I mean it has lasted longer than anything besides the four majors in the past.

American Football League, United States Football League, World Hockey Association, American Basketball Association, etc.

But Lacrosse has lasted longer, but they are not anywhere near the MLS in other categories such as teams, franchise stability, growth, or even popularity.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
No. I mean it has lasted longer than anything besides the four majors in the past.

American Football League, United States Football League, World Hockey Association, American Basketball Association, etc.

ahhh, in that case, i agree...

They'll have an opportunity next season...won't have to compete w/ the NBA. They need to start getting their shit together for that now, tho.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
ahhh, in that case, i agree...

They'll have an opportunity next season...won't have to compete w/ the NBA. They need to start getting their shit together for that now, tho.

Oh, I misunderstood your question.

I mean like, will they EVER be a Top 10 soccer league? Since it is America and all.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
i dont know, dont think so, here are the best leagues in order, IMO

English Permier League
Spain's La Liga
Italian Serie A
German Bundesliga
France's Ligue 1
Netherlands' Eredivisie
Mexico's Primera Division
Portugal's Liga Sagres
Brazil's Série A
Russian Premier League

all of these leagues have minor leagues baseball style; A, double-A, triple-A, and some have about 80+ years on the MLS.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
When thinking about your league, you gotta ask yourself, is your league buyers or seller. is your league buying players or selling them. Mexicos league is a seller to Europe, but a buyer from South America. So is Brazil, and Russia. Europe is the buyer and not a seller, cuz theyr are best. Who ever your buying from, your league is better than theirs.

Last edited:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So we buy from South America, but sell to Europe.

I mean down the stretch though. MLS is better than anyone when the league started expected it to be by this point in time.

I really think we can grow to be a league that America actually embraces at the very least.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
the Fire for sure, we have good history, good stadium

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
but i dont think i know any player on the Fire, im a fan of those leagues not cuz im not from england, spain, but cuz i follow players like Javier Hernandez from Manchester United, Messi from Barcelona, Christiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid. when Blanco was here, i tuned in a lil more.

yes, mls sells to europe, bu we get all their washed up players like Beckam, Thieri Henry, Rafa Marquez, .. in an attempt to draw fans, i dont like this.

Last edited:

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
i think the team imma be watchin is DC United, just because of Charlie Davies

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
and another point that Alexi Lalas, i think, made during the World Cup, wich I agree with is that, yes alot of young kids are playing soccer, but in America, its not the poor kids(minorities) playing soccer. its the rich kids playing soccer, while the poor kids(minorities) are playing basketball, football, baseball. in europe and the rest of the worls where soccer is #1, the best players come outta the poorest areas of the country.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
and another point that Alexi Lalas, i think, made during the World Cup, wich I agree with is that, yes alot of young kids are playing soccer, but in America, its not the poor kids(minorities) playing soccer. its the rich kids playing soccer, while the poor kids(minorities) are playing basketball, football, baseball. in europe and the rest of the worls where soccer is #1, the best players come outta the poorest areas of the country.

Good point, rich/middle-class anyway.

goonerbear93

Liked Posts:
At the moment you have all kinds of rules in place like the salary cap and restrictions on how many international players you can have etc. Whilst this is good for American football in general, so the American players can develop their game and play in the MLS, it doesn't make the MLS a better league.

The DP rule is a good rule as it allows players like Henry, Beckham and Marquez to come and play in the MLS when they're approaching the end of their careers. But somehow, the MLS needs to overcome that and get the stars coming over in their prime. The US lifestyle will appeal to players from over here and in Europe. The big city life in the US is very desirable. But unless serious money is thrown at it, like it was when Pele and co played for the Cosmos back in the 70s. That's when 'soccer' was huge in the states and appealed.

They're trying to change the rules here in England so that you have to have home grown players playing for your clubs, so that the national team can improve. Up until recently, teams like Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea here would often field teams with one, maybe two Englishman in. Because there's a lot of talented players abroad, and they make our league a lot better and appealing worldwide. But with the talent comes a price. Like our top earner in the league earns something like £250k a week. Unless the MLS became big like that, I can't see it being big in the US or worldwide. I really want it to, as I want the game to progress in America and for the stars to also play out there for a while. Unless the best players come over, I don't see it being amongst the Premier League or La Liga.

Also on a sidenote - You often see American 'soccer' fans follow a team over here in England or perhaps in another European league, but will also watch the MLS as it's on their tvs over there and their nearest chance to watch a game of football. But they often follow the European team as their no.1 team and the MLS team as their second team. If the MLS wanted to be a major competitor they'd have to somehow become the no.1 team for their local fans and attract international fans too.

People here in England follow the MLS to see how their old players are getting on. Like Thierry Henry is a hero of mine. Being an Arsenal fan, he's like a God. He's our record goalscorer in our history and since he's been in New York, i've taken an interest in the Red Bulls. I also follow the Fire as they're from Chicago, and i'm a Bears fan so it just makes sense to stick with that city. But when the likes of Blanco and Ljungberg play for them, it's attractive (especially Ljungberg with the Arsenal link again). Just the legacy these great players leave in Europe, can be a big attraction to us European fans when they move across the pond.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
at the moment, no it never will be..

The mls teams need to try and get more foreign players, and not when they are at the end of their careers (Thierry Henry)

goonerbear93

Liked Posts:
at the moment, no it never will be..

The mls teams need to try and get more foreign players, and not when they are at the end of their careers (Thierry Henry)

Exactly!. That's how it'll improve!

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
no, We are in the USA many people hate soccer. I love it but i perfer watching the premier league or another top tier league,

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
no, We are in the USA many people hate soccer. I love it but i perfer watching the premier league or another top tier league,

agree...

EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga are all better to watch than MLS

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:

agree...

EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga are all better to watch than MLS

if i was on a desert island, and could choose only 1 sports league to watch for the foreseeable future, like until i got rescued, .. ima a huge Bears, Bulls, Chicago Baseball fan, but id choose the UEFA Champions League, no doubt, not even close, beter than world cup games.

Yesterday after watching the Bulls game, after we won, i turned to Barcelona at Real Madrid, holy shit that was a good game, not a dull moment after 90 min. Sometimes when in tryin to watch an MLS game, ill staright up be thinkin, .. id rather be watching La Liga or EPL.:shrug:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
if i was on a desert island, and could choose only 1 sports league to watch for the foreseeable future, like until i got rescued, .. ima a huge Bears, Bulls, Chicago Baseball fan, but id choose the UEFA Champions League, no doubt, not even close, beter than world cup games.

Yesterday after watching the Bulls game, after we won, i turned to Barcelona at Real Madrid, holy shit that was a good game, not a dull moment after 90 min. Sometimes when in tryin to watch an MLS game, ill staright up be thinkin, .. id rather be watching La Liga or EPL.:shrug:

I prefer MLS for one big reason... it's American and a Chicago team is in it. :shrug: