With the 115th pick in the 4th Round, the Chicago Bears select...

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He isn't likely to play LB in the NFL, and definitely no chance at all to play it in our scheme.

Can you clarify? I'm not trying to sound like a dick or overly defensive of the dude.

Curious what the disqualifier(s) would be in the 3-4 that shows as a 4-3 nearly half the time when LBs creep & show stunts pre-snap.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
He's going to start out as a guy who will earn his lumps on ST, which would be great for us. He can be a missile, and has the speed to play gunner. Bellamy only has a hold on a roster spot because he is good at special teams, so getting an ace would make him expendable.

I'll use a 4th rounder to get a defender with one hand to replace a receiver with no hands.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Great story. Great combine 40, but he is still a small conference guy that would be a mid rounder if he had two hands, except he doesn't. Hell, NFL.com is too afraid to mention it and doesn't even list that as a weakness! I hope I am wrong, but what he is as a player is middle of the road, add in the disability and he will never be more than a special teamer.
It's shocking that they invited him to the draft. Poor guy is going to sit there days with the camera panning to him relentlessly. NFL should be embarrassed. It's like them bringing up disadvantaged kids to announce a pick. They are prostituting him for their benefit. I wish him all the best, but I just don't see it.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I'd be really excited if we drafted him...

Hes proven everyone wrong his whole life. The guy can play and my guess is he'll be a great gunner on ST and a solid player for an NFL team at Linebacker.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/shaquem-griffin?id=32462018-0002-5600-3553-5235eb2e3419

Combine hero & heartfelt story be damned, dude was Defensive Player of the Year with 18.5 sacks last two years.

OLB / Edge hybrid. Slot DB even.

4.38 - 40 Speed to track & cover anybody. = Fastest recorded combine 40 by any LB. Ever.

20 reps at 225. 6' 1", 227 -->can add 15lbs & not lose a step. (Cohen just added 10lbs)

In the 4th how can you not like this pick?

That combine 40 was staged, he ran like 4.52 on his second run and didnt slip. No way a 4.38 speedster then runs a 4.5 a few moments later.

I zero reason to be drafting special teams only players in the 4th round, MAYBE in the 6th or later.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
That combine 40 was staged, he ran like 4.52 on his second run and didnt slip. No way a 4.38 speedster then runs a 4.5 a few moments later.

I zero reason to be drafting special teams only players in the 4th round, MAYBE in the 6th or later.

Hes not a ST only player... hes st a small school because of his hand. Hes dropping in the draft because of his missing hand. He'll continue to be overlooked by people like you.

The guy can play...

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Hes not a ST only player... hes st a small school because of his hand. Hes dropping in the draft because of his missing hand. He'll continue to be overlooked by people like you.

The guy can play...

I can’t deny the missing hand being a deal breaker for me, he wouldnt be on my draft board :shame:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To each their own. Interesting discussion at least. The positives outweigh the limitations IMO, not that any of ours really matters though.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was a later pick Pace-type guy. Nagy would love having his own Rudy on the roster I'm sure. Except Griffin can actually ball out...again IMO.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I need a fucking one-handed man on our team.

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
Is there not a ton of talk about Roquan Smith to Bears as a plug & play great fit?

Wasn't suggesting he's THE answer strictly at EDGE. OLB for sure though. Can be put all over the place.

Roquan Smith #1 rated OLB per NFL: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/roquan-smith?id=32462018-0002-5598-99bf-307c92f2ffbe
6'1, 236 lbs

Shaq Griffin:
6'1, 227 lbs. You did read the OP where I said he should be able to add 10 lbs right?

Too small?? Seems perfect for OLB/slot DB :thinking:

First, Roquan Smith is projected as an ILB in our scheme. He's an OLB (WILL most likely) in a 4-3.

Second, there is quite a lot of talk about Smith not being a good fit, particularly due to his size, and he is bigger than Griffin.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Great story. Great combine 40, but he is still a small conference guy that would be a mid rounder if he had two hands, except he doesn't. Hell, NFL.com is too afraid to mention it and doesn't even list that as a weakness! I hope I am wrong, but what he is as a player is middle of the road, add in the disability and he will never be more than a special teamer.
It's shocking that they invited him to the draft. Poor guy is going to sit there days with the camera panning to him relentlessly. NFL should be embarrassed. It's like them bringing up disadvantaged kids to announce a pick. They are prostituting him for their benefit. I wish him all the best, but I just don't see it.

It’s the same school that put guys in the NFL like Daunte Culpepper, Shawn Jefferson, Asante Samuel, Josh Sitton, AJ Bouye, Matt Prater, Brandon Marshall as well as his twin brother Shaquill.

You obviously have not watched him play. He dominated against Auburn like he did each of the last two seasons.

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
I highly doubt he's there in round 4 after the combine he had. Would love if we could pick him up though.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Look at all his numbers in 2017. If he had two hands, he would be far from a mid rounder. There is no one who will be drafted in the first round (I repeat - NO ONE) this year who has comparable numbers to him. He has more sacks than most linebackers and would have respectable sack numbers for a D lineman. More tackles and tackles for loss than most corners and safeties. His forced fumbles, fumbles recovered and interceptions (yes, interceptions) are not an embarrassment to him.

For being an eye doctor, you need to get your eyes examined. You are suffering from the same illness that has affected most people in his life. You don't see a football player but rather a handicap. Immediately, you make a judgement that he cannot play football because of the handicap.

Until 2017, he was just a special teams player. Why? Because another blind person wouldn't give him a chance. Yet someone gave him a chance in 2017 and how did he do? Top defensive player in his conference (yes, not a big conference but they played against some major programs) and top player in his bowl game.

Yes, the NFL knew that he wouldn't be drafted until at least the 3rd round but so did he. People end up embarrassed in the green room because they had an unexpected slide out of the 1st round or at least into the late 1st round. Griffin won't be sliding out of the 1st round because he was never going to be drafted in the 1st round. He will be celebrating with the 1st rounders when they get picked.

Whenever he gets picked, he will again have to fight against the blind people to get his chance at being on the field. He will start out as a special teams ace which is quite funny because the same blind people who say that he can't succeed as a one-handed player because of tackling issues will be happy because he will be a successful special teams ace where the main job is, you guessed it, tackling.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Look at all his numbers in 2017. If he had two hands, he would be far from a mid rounder. There is no one who will be drafted in the first round (I repeat - NO ONE) this year who has comparable numbers to him. He has more sacks than most linebackers and would have respectable sack numbers for a D lineman. More tackles and tackles for loss than most corners and safeties. His forced fumbles, fumbles recovered and interceptions (yes, interceptions) are not an embarrassment to him.

For being an eye doctor, you need to get your eyes examined. You are suffering from the same illness that has affected most people in his life. You don't see a football player but rather a handicap. Immediately, you make a judgement that he cannot play football because of the handicap.

Until 2017, he was just a special teams player. Why? Because another blind person wouldn't give him a chance. Yet someone gave him a chance in 2017 and how did he do? Top defensive player in his conference (yes, not a big conference but they played against some major programs) and top player in his bowl game.

Yes, the NFL knew that he wouldn't be drafted until at least the 3rd round but so did he. People end up embarrassed in the green room because they had an unexpected slide out of the 1st round or at least into the late 1st round. Griffin won't be sliding out of the 1st round because he was never going to be drafted in the 1st round. He will be celebrating with the 1st rounders when they get picked.

Whenever he gets picked, he will again have to fight against the blind people to get his chance at being on the field. He will start out as a special teams ace which is quite funny because the same blind people who say that he can't succeed as a one-handed player because of tackling issues will be happy because he will be a successful special teams ace where the main job is, you guessed it, tackling.

Actually, he’s been doing it for two years. He was the AAC Defensive Player of the Year in 2016. When Scott Frost took over the program, he let the kid loose.