With the 8th pick in the NFL Draft the Chicago Bears select?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Gordon-Ramsay-Doesnt-Approve.gif

You can gif all you want, but it is true.

He is still a good player, but he is noticeably different from last season. He has struggled with power way more than we saw last season.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears two best O-lineman are guards; how much better than Long or Sitton do you think this guy is? The easiest way to get better in the league is to go from bad players to ok players; it's really hard to get better if you're saying that you want to go from good players to great ones. That would be my problem with anyone at guard and especially with Leno and Massie at tackles. I don't care if this guy is Marshall Yanda, the O-line wouldn't be that much better with him over what they already have.

Great post. No matter how great a prospect Nelson is right now, he’d be incredibly lucky to match next year what Sitton is doing this year.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can gif all you want, but it is true.

He is still a good player, but he is noticeably different from last season. He has struggled with power way more than we saw last season.

You can try to nitpick all you want to justify your narrative, but Sitton is having a very good season. Pro bowl caliber.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I am not sure how much we can rely on Long and Sitton.

Sitton is on the decline and has not been as good this season. Long is beat to shit right now. I am not 100% he regains his dominant form from that ankle injury.

Still feels like a luxury pick to me. Are there no tackles that are close in talent that could be had in the same range???

I know Leno struggled on the right side but he’s really improved a lot overall. I’d be curious if they could draft a R tackle or slide Leno to the R. Honestly wouldn’t be terribly upset with a guard though if that’s what it came down to.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still feels like a luxury pick to me. Are there no tackles that are close in talent that could be had in the same range???

I know Leno struggled on the right side but he’s really improved a lot overall. I’d be curious if they could draft a R tackle or slide Leno to the R. Honestly wouldn’t be terribly upset with a guard though if that’s what it came down to.

It’s definately a luxury pick, as you are basically replacing a pro bowl caliber guard (Sitton) with a top 10 draft pick.

As far as OT, you can draft any of the top LT prospects and put them at RT for their first couple of years. McGlinchey is probably better suited at RT to begin with.

HAVOCONE

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Having a few games left will change where we pick. with that, Pace has seemed aggressive come draft time. i don't think it matters where we end up picking, if Pace wants a certain guy, he will try to get him, even if it means moving up. if he moves up next draft, i would like it to be chubb or mr freeze, the WR.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
It’s definately a luxury pick, as you are basically replacing a pro bowl caliber guard (Sitton) with a top 10 draft pick.

As far as OT, you can draft any of the top LT prospects and put them at RT for their first couple of years. McGlinchey is probably better suited at RT to begin with.

I like this option far better. Last year bolles was the first OL off the board at 20, followed by ramcyzk at 32 (both are tackles). First guard was pick 38.

2016 saw a much more highly touted draft for o lineman. Stanley went at 6, Conklin 8, tunsil 13, decker 16, and then the first OG goes at pick 28 to the 49ers.

In 2015 5OT’s came off the board until the
first guard went at pick 28.

In 2014 Greg Robinson at 2, Jake Matthews at 6, Taylor Lewan at 11, and then zack Martin at 16.

I’m all for upgrading the line but it seems to me that you’d have to be a bit out of your mind to draft a guard in the 8-12 range. If you want to draft your future pro bowl LT there then fine. A trade back situation to gain more picks would be necessary before even thinking about going guard that high. I’d rather draft a WR even in that position.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
A QB run early could land the Bears a nice pick. But if not then that leaves a nice bit of trade bait.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's "I couldn't care less", not "I could care less". We prefer the members use proper English when posting. Thank you.

Mark the calendars. Ommy going highbrow grammar-nazi!

Thus proving that sounding dumb annoys everybody eventually.

Atta boy.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
If Barkley is on the board, it would be very difficult to pass on him. I think he's the best prospect in this draft and could be the next LaDainian Tomlinson. A trio of Barkley, Howard, and Cohen would be nasty.

I like Ridley and I think he'll be a good WR in the NFL. I'm just not sure he's worth taking with a top-10 pick right now. I'd be willing to draft him in the 12-15 range if we trade down though.

I said this on another thread. I don't understand the McGlinchey hype. He isn't a top 20 player IMO and could fall to the 2nd. He's best suited at RT. Connor Williams is clearly the better prospect with the higher upside. You could argue Orlando Brown and Chukwuma Okorafor are better prospects than McGlinchey.

Nelson is one of the safest prospects in this draft and I think he'll be a perennial Pro Bowler.

Chubb is a top talent in this class and I'd love to see him paired with Floyd. Key is a question mark. He's going to test very well, but you worry about the off the field stuff. Is he really committed to playing?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
We're at 8th now. If we fall further it could be 14th by the end (just looking at who's there not who they have to play).

Good thing we didn't wait on a QB.

1-5 I'd be open to BPA for oline, dline or WR.
8-14 WR
I don't know who's who or who's there to make any wishes beyond position.

Did you see this team with Glennon? They'd easily have a top five pick had they waited. Not that I wanted them to, just saying.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I like this option far better. Last year bolles was the first OL off the board at 20, followed by ramcyzk at 32 (both are tackles). First guard was pick 38.

2016 saw a much more highly touted draft for o lineman. Stanley went at 6, Conklin 8, tunsil 13, decker 16, and then the first OG goes at pick 28 to the 49ers.

In 2014 Greg Robinson at 2, Jake Matthews at 6, Taylor Lewan at 11, and then zack Martin at 16.

I’m all for upgrading the line but it seems to me that you’d have to be a bit out of your mind to draft a guard in the 8-12 range. If you want to draft your future pro bowl LT there then fine. A trade back situation to gain more picks would be necessary before even thinking about going guard that high. I’d rather draft a WR even in that position.

Many of the players you listed, and didn't list..are in fact playing Gaurd at the NFL level.

That cute little stat you threw out there about the 15 class? The very first one taken, in the top 5, is playing guard for the Redskins.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I am not sure how much we can rely on Long and Sitton.

Sitton is on the decline and has not been as good this season. Long is beat to shit right now. I am not 100% he regains his dominant form from that ankle injury.

Sitton has at least another 2-3 years of good football in him and Long will still be a good football player even if he's not dominant. I see no reason to use our 1st round pick on a guard when we have two good ones under contract and a really good backup in E.Kush under contract for next season when our needs at OLB, WR, CB are so much bigger then G is. We also have no 3rd round pick right now so we only have two picks in this draft that we have a good chance at getting day 1 starters.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Many of the players you listed, and didn't list..are in fact playing Gaurd at the NFL level.

That cute little stat you threw out there about the 15 class? The very first one taken, in the top 5, is playing guard for the Redskins.

Sure but that may not have been where they were projected. Similar to how Kyle Long was drafted with the intention of playing tackle but it just didn’t work out.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sitton has at least another 2-3 years of good football in him and Long will still be a good football player even if he's not dominant. I see no reason to use our 1st round pick on a guard when we have two good ones under contract and a really good backup in E.Kush under contract for next season when our needs at OLB, WR, CB are so much bigger then G is. We also have no 3rd round pick right now so we only have two picks in this draft that we have a good chance at getting day 1 starters.

You know Sitton has 2-3 more good years?

I am not advocating taking an OG at 8, but he will be the best player on the board when they pick if he is there. He is the best player in the draft.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

2015 Top OG went 5th, Brandon Scherff.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Im a Notre Dame fan, and McGlinchey would be a terrible LT. Not even sure he's a good RT. He might be best suited for OG

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
2015 Top OG went 5th, Brandon Scherff.

I may be mistaken but was he taken to play guard? Similar to how Long was drafted with all intention of being moved to OT and then it failed miserably and he's now back at guard.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
I may be mistaken but was he taken to play guard? Similar to how Long was drafted with all intention of being moved to OT and then it failed miserably and he's now back at guard.
Is it just speculation Long was supposed to play tackle? I never read anywhere he was drafted to play anywhere but where he is. That he was green and had the potential to move outside if he progressed that way due to his size and athleticism.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You know Sitton has 2-3 more good years?

I am not advocating taking an OG at 8, but he will be the best player on the board when they pick if he is there. He is the best player in the draft.

You know Sitton doesn't have 2-3 more good years? I know there's a few positions in football that players can easily play into their mid to even late 30's and o-line is one of them so yes i think he can absolutely play another good 2-3 seasons. It just depends on if that player wants to play into his mid 30's or not.

We know Pace's usual strategy in the draft is to go BPA so i could actually see him drafting Nelson if he's sitting there when we're on the clock, i just don't think the need for a guard is even close to being as big as our need for OLB, WR, CB in this draft.