World Cup Game Thread: Non-US

malcore

Suarez is a piece of shit

FIFA better suspend him for this, for more than the 10 games he got just over a year ago for the same thing. This is the third time he has gone all Mike Tyson. Great player, but a total POS.

Edit - I just read that FIFA can ban someone for biting for up to two years. Not a chance in hell Suarez gets anyhting like that, but he better be done for this tournament, at the least.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
FIFA better suspend him for this, for more than the 10 games he got just over a year ago for the same thing. This is the third time he has gone all Mike Tyson. Great player, but a total POS.

Edit - I just read that FIFA can ban someone for biting for up to two years. Not a chance in hell Suarez gets anyhting like that, but he better be done for this tournament, at the least.

He bit an Italian substitute, I mean who can blame him for biting into an Italian sub?

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He. Did. It. Again!

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

FIFA can only ban him for international matches as this incident occurred with the Uruguay National Team. Let's say they ban him for 20 games, once the World Cup ends, Suarez can still go play for his club team Liverpool.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cantona got banned by FIFA for United's season, AND got suspended by France as well as a fine.

Can they ban him for Club games? Yes, FIFA is the governing body of soccer. Every countries FA works under FIFA.

Now will they. More than likley not, should they. Yes.

Fifa’s disciplinary code has the scope to suspend a player for a maximum of 24 matches – which, technically, can include club games but in practice tends to be only internationals.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Cantona got banned by FIFA for United's season, AND got suspended by France as well as a fine.

Can they ban him for Club games? Yes, FIFA is the governing body of soccer. Every countries FA works under FIFA.

Now will they. More than likley not, should they. Yes.

Liverpool would never allow it.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
But what could they possibly do, when the governing body they report to, hand out the ban?

I'm not sure what they would do but I think they would have a good case for an appeal of some sort. They paid money for Suarez (a lot of money) and shouldn't be penalized for something that happened while he was playing for another team.

It would be similar to basketball and the Olympics. If Kobe Bryant were in the Olympics and punches a player out in an Olympic game, there should absolutely be a suspension for the rest of the Olympics but not for Laker games.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not sure what they would do but I think they would have a good case for an appeal of some sort. They paid money for Suarez (a lot of money) and shouldn't be penalized for something that happened while he was playing for another team.

It would be similar to basketball and the Olympics. If Kobe Bryant were in the Olympics and punches a player out in an Olympic game, there should absolutely be a suspension for the rest of the Olympics but not for Laker games.

I understand.

But who does Liverpool appeal to? Specifically, when they appeal the suspension who are doing it to?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I understand.

But who does Liverpool appeal to? Specifically, when they appeal the suspension who are doing it to?

I'm not sure on the legal ins and outs. I'm guessing Liverpool's attorneys would be all over it though.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not sure on the legal ins and outs. I'm guessing Liverpool's attorneys would be all over it though.

They would have to go through their FA. So they would say, to the English Football Association, we want to appeal the suspension.

The FA, would respond by saying, it's not in our hands. If you would like you can talk to our bosses. And their boss is FIFA.

Then when appealing to FIFA, they say isnt fair, and FIFA say repeat offender....... Blah blah blah.

Point being, IF FIFA come down with the worldwide ban. There is not a whole lot anyone can do being as FIFA is the governing body of all of soccer.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Suarez is a piece of crap.

malcore

I understand.

They could sue Suarez, possibly, although he was not "representing" the team at the time. But if suspended, it could be looked at as frustration or breach of contract.

Here is the line from the FIFA disciplinary code that is relevant to the possibilty of extending the ban to club play, Article 136:

If the infringement is serious, in particular but not limited to doping, unlawfully influencing match results, misconduct against match officials, forgery and falsification or violation of the rules governing age limits, the associations, confederations, and other organising sports bodies shall request Fifa to extend the sanctions they have imposed so as to have worldwide effect

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-long-could-liverpool-fc-7325933

There is room to interpret that FIFA could suspend him from Premier League play, but it is highly unlikely. UEFA and the FA could appeal to FIFA to extend the ban to club play. But again, I don't see that happening.

This was so dumb by Suarez. There was talk Barcelona may deal big money for him after the WC, and now even sponsors may be cutting ties with him. Absolute moron.

Last edited:

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Suarez banned from all soccer related activities for 9 games, 4 months.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
Ghana dismisses Muntari and Kevin Prince Boateng....apparently they verbally abused the coach and were being disruptive, but they claim its a misunderstanding

Just about to post something about this. It was also rumored that the team was threatening to boycott the Portugal game if they didn't get their WC bonuses before then.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Liverpool should take their money and get themselves as far away from that nut job as possible. I'm really surprised FIFA did it. But feel another month would have been more suitable here as international and pre-season games mean fuck all.