Worst Draft Pick in Bears History?

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That Benson draft class was terribly weak in the top end. I never really blamed JA for that one, I however hated the Olsen pick(not the biggest bust) so much more.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Worst Bears "pick" ever was the First round pick given up for Rick Mirer.

The guy never had a passer rating above 70 for the four years before the trade and it was 56 the year before the trade! He played in 7 games, starting 3, the next year for the Bears. He was 2 -5 in those games throwing 0TD's and 6 INT's with a grand total of 420 yards passing and a total passer rating of 37!!!

They didn't even use a 1st rounder on him as an unproven rookie, they gave up a 1st for an already proven NFL bust, gave him a 3 yr 11 MIL contract, and released him after 7 games as a Bear. I think this may be the worst move in the history of the NFL.

The only competition is the H Walker raping and the Ditka/R Williams fiasco, but at least those guys were either good or thought to be good. Mire was a shit QB his whole career and the Bears gave a 1 for him!!!!

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
This thread is a product of 18 year olds. Do you think the Bears have only made bad draft choices in the last 15 years. Stop making threads until you learn a little bit about the Bears. Their worst draft choice was a first round RB in 1971 named Joe Moore.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
OP may be the worst message board poster ever.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Worst Bears "pick" ever was the First round pick given up for Rick Mirer.

The guy never had a passer rating above 70 for the four years before the trade and it was 56 the year before the trade! He played in 7 games, starting 3, the next year for the Bears. He was 2 -5 in those games throwing 0TD's and 6 INT's with a grand total of 420 yards passing and a total passer rating of 37!!!

They didn't even use a 1st rounder on him as an unproven rookie, they gave up a 1st for an already proven NFL bust, gave him a 3 yr 11 MIL contract, and released him after 7 games as a Bear. I think this may be the worst move in the history of the NFL.

The only competition is the H Walker raping and the Ditka/R Williams fiasco, but at least those guys were either good or thought to be good. Mire was a shit QB his whole career and the Bears gave a 1 for him!!!!

That was back in the day - I'm assuming but uncertain it doesn't still apply - when the Bears FO and/or McCaskeys refused to properly allocate resources to scouts outside the Midwest. As a result, and given the Chicagoland area giant boner for all things Notre Dame, they were overly focused on Domers. At least that's my (failing) recollection.

I was fooled twice by Pac-10 draft picks that they eventually did snag, I was stoked for both Cade McNown (!) and John Allred, was certain they were the successors to Joe Montana and Brent Jones. Turned out......not so well.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This thread is a product of 18 year olds. Do you think the Bears have only made bad draft choices in the last 15 years. Stop making threads until you learn a little bit about the Bears. Their worst draft choice was a first round RB in 1971 named Joe Moore.

Nah, they'd had "worse". The Bears had some first round picks never even play in an NFL game.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
So many to choose from. Where do we start?

Shea McLellin (1st round)

Chris Williams (1st round)

Gabe Carami (1st round)

Michael Haynes (1st round)

Dan Bazuin (2nd round)

Mark Bradley (2nd round)

Terrance Metcalf (3rd round)

Garrett Wolfe (3rd round)

Michael Okwo (3rd round)

Marcus Harrison (3rd round)

Jarron Gilbert (3rd round)

Juaquin Iglesias (3rd round)

Brandon Hardin (3rd round)

It's a tough call with so many losers. Kinda hilarious how many epic fails Angelo had in the third round. I'll never forget training camp after Juaquin Iglesias was picked and Jeff Dickerson from ESPN1000 said he was the worst player he'd ever seen LOL. JD is maybe the most professional of all beat reporters in the city so for him to say that --- wow. He was totally bewildered by how Juaquin Iglesias could be drafted by anybody in any round, let a lone the third.

Michael Haynes is tough to bet against only because he was a 5'7 DL who weighed less than Robbie Gould. But in the end, I'm going with....

.......DAN BAZUIN. Worst draft pick in Chicago Bears history.

You went back less than 10 years...

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I alluded to it early but really concentrate on those 1998 and 1999 draft misses at the top. In the span of two season the Bears missed on a franchise RB and QB. You can miss on a QB and it set your organization back half a decade. They missed on that AND the main ball carrier. Then two years later they also missed on their top WR pick. In 4 seasons the Bears missed on the 3 most important offensive positions. Truly a terrible run.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I alluded to it early but really concentrate on those 1998 and 1999 draft misses at the top. In the span of two season the Bears missed on a franchise RB and QB. You can miss on a QB and it set your organization back half a decade. They missed on that AND the main ball carrier. Then two years later they also missed on their top WR pick. In 4 seasons the Bears missed on the 3 most important offensive positions. Truly a terrible run.

Meanwhile the Colts got Peyton, Edgerrin James, and Reggie Wayne.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Nah, they'd had "worse". The Bears had some first round picks never even play in an NFL game.
Seems they had that in the 50's..

Seems in the 50's the Bears had a few... They drafted guys who snubbed the NFL for the CFL.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meanwhile the Colts got Peyton, Edgerrin James, and Reggie Wayne.

Ouch. Great comparison and catch. The sad thing is that in 98 and 99 we had some really good/nice picks in the middle and late rounds and in 2000 had a great draft top to bottom. If the Bears hit on those top picks in 98,99, and 01.....could have been scary good for a while.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:

I have toenail clipping older than Joe Moore.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
The ones squandered for Jay Cutler.

*You have given too much reputation in the last 24 hours*

Sorry man. Excellent post anyway.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:

You are at least 72 years old and posting on a message board on the internet. I hope my retirement is more fun than yours.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Ouch. Great comparison and catch. The sad thing is that in 98 and 99 we had some really good/nice picks in the middle and late rounds and in 2000 had a great draft top to bottom. If the Bears hit on those top picks in 98,99, and 01.....could have been scary good for a while.
It also falls into the line the Bears are never bad enough to get a major difference maker. In 1997, they finished 4-12..The Colts 3-13. There were 3 other teams that went 4-12..Given shitty Bears luck, they ended up picking the last of them.

Of course I think the Bears had to be 2-14 to get Peyton. Had they tied with Colts at 3-13..The Colts would have won the tiebreaker then the Bears end up with Ryan Leaf.

1998 is much the same. A bunch of teams finished 3-13, the Bears once again 4-12.