Worst QB draft since 2013..

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
2013 has to be the worst NFL draft in recent history, with nobody turning into a good starter and only 2 QBs selected in the first 2 rounds (EJ Manuel, Geno Smith).

The grades on this years batch of QBs are pretty bad with a severe lack of top end talent. Mocks are looking at one QB in the top 10 and maybe only 2 1st rounders overall.

I do think the NFL has improved on evaluating QBs and we are going to see less QBs with a good chance at becoming a starter escape the first round.

Fields, the 4th QB selected last year, grades out better than all of the prospects in this draft. Regardless of what happens with Fields, last year was definitely the time to trade up for a QB.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
2013 has to be the worst NFL draft in recent history, with nobody turning into a good starter and only 2 QBs selected in the first 2 rounds (EJ Manuel, Geno Smith).

The grades on this years batch of QBs are pretty bad with a severe lack of top end talent. Mocks are looking at one QB in the top 10 and maybe only 2 1st rounders overall.

I do think the NFL has improved on evaluating QBs and we are going to see less QBs with a good chance at becoming a starter escape the first round.

Fields, the 4th QB selected last year, grades out better than all of the prospects in this draft. Regardless of what happens with Fields, last year was definitely the time to trade up for a QB.
Fields would be a top 5 pick this year, easily.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Fields would be a top 5 pick this year, easily.
Agreed. Likely 2nd overall to Detroit. Detroit is the litmus test this year on QBs, being that Goff likely gets cut after this season.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
2017 was supposed to be a terrible year too. The fact is none of these pundits, scouts or GMs really know. Judging QBs is more art that science and these guys routinely get it wrong.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

Detoilet, you're on the clock

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Heck, Mitch is better than any of the QB's coming out this year

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
2017 was supposed to be a terrible year too. The fact is none of these pundits, scouts or GMs really know. Judging QBs is more art that science and these guys routinely get it wrong.
Looking back, the Luke Falk love was real.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
5 in the first round seems really high. I am thinking 3 to 4 max. And nobody in the top 5 tells you all you need to know about how this class is perceived.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
5 in the first round seems really high. I am thinking 3 to 4 max. And nobody in the top 5 tells you all you need to know about how this class is perceived.
If 5 guys are drafted at #28, 29, 30, 31 and 32, that's 5 guys in the first round. He didn't specify 5 guys in the top 15 picks like last year.

It seems like a forgone conclusion that Willis will go somewhere around the middle of the first (maybe higher), possibly lasting to the early 20s. After that, you've got the Lions who would be stupid to not take a QB they like with the 32nd pick considering players in the first have the 5th year team option. Beyond that, you've got a bunch of teams at the end of the 1st that don't need QBs and thus are in prime trade-down position with a team that does in order to either jump another team in the early 2nd or also secure that 5th year option.

As an example, KC with the 29th and 30th picks and Green Bay with their second first rounder being #28 are in prime-time position to get a nice haul for trading down. You've got the Giants at #36, Texans at #37, Seattle at both #40 and #41, Indy at #42, Atlanta at #43 and Washington at #47.

That seems like the only way it would really happen unless teams start reaching. Carolina is in the worst spot with the 6th overall pick and having traded their 2nd to the Jets. Do they reach for Willis at #6 which could cause other teams to start making moves for their preferred guys at the end of the 1st?

Last edited:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Lions sent one person to Willis's pro day, yet they sent 5-6 to Kayvon's pro day.

they could potentially trade up into the late first with their #34 pick, but they still have 2 #1's next year, I hope they don't entertain the notion of a QB until the 3-4 rnd. Having retained two backup QB's, I can't see them adding a 4th?

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
NFL draft is a crapshoot.

All these guys got talent....its about putting them in the right situation to unleash it.

Even if its a weak qb class, it would not be shocking if one of these guys ends up becoming very good. That being said some team(hopefully the lions) are going to get burned BAD by overdrafting one of these guys.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
NFL draft is a crapshoot.

All these guys got talent....its about putting them in the right situation to unleash it.

Even if its a weak qb class, it would not be shocking if one of these guys ends up becoming very good. That being said some team(hopefully the lions) are going to get burned BAD by overdrafting one of these guys.
You mean buy trading up with Jacksonville for a 1st (#2) , two thirds, and a fourth?