Would Someone Like Jon Gruden Really Be An Upgrade?

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
Did anyone hear Gruden praising RG3 for fumbling?

Lol, yeah. It had me running to the the general NFL in-game thread, but as usual nobody was posting.
"RG3 is Magic!"

But in all seriousness, he is fun to watch.
The effortlessness in his throws is amazing...

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Gruden is easy to make fun of because he can be overly enthusiastic. I think that's a good quality as a coach, but I wouldn't want him involved with personnel much.

Griffin is an exciting player and a really good kid.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I think Lovie's job is in jeopardy. I still think he's here next year if we can squeak in, but his history of managing his staff is abysmal. Gruden would be an improvement in my opinion. If we lose Lovie everyone needs to understand we're losing some good qualities, but I'm ready to see a head coach more involved in the gameplan.

5 million reasons why Lovie will be back enxt season.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
Almost every post in this entire thread is fucking ridiculous. Gruden is 25x the coach Lovie is, even when he isn't coaching. This guy took Rich fucking Gannon and made him an MVP. He took a shit Raiders team and made them a contender, that should've made the SB if not for the tuck rule. Then, he goes to a Tampa team that Dungy couldn't get over the hump, and waltzed into a fucking SB, where they met the Raiders team that HE had helped build. Then, he used his knowledge of that team against them, informing his DEFENSE (that's right, he actually pays attention to all phases of his team) of their signals and how to beat them. They walked all over Oakland.

Did Lovie use his knowledge of his OWN defense to elevate the offense and beat Dungy in the SB? Has Lovie ever outcoached anyone? Has Lovie ever paid attention to anything other than his defense and the jumbotron? Dude's a fucking joke. Only coach that will call a TO before using a challenge. The Bears act like TOs are fucking popsicles that you hand out to all the neighborhood kids. Now someone come in and tell me how he passed Jauron and Wannstedt to become the 3rd winningest coach in team history.

You can ignore the Lovie is better then Gruden crowd. If Gruden came on board next year nearly every one of them will pull a 180 and declare us SB-bound now that we have the greta Gruden.

For the record, I agree with you, Gruden is in an entirely different class of HC then Lovie, and it's not even close.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
The fans would just be bitching about the defense being horrible instead of the offense

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The fans would just be bitching about the defense being horrible instead of the offense

With a Gruden hire I'd assume Marrinelli stays and the defense doesn't change much at all. You could be right, though. God knows we all love to bitch and we will find a way :)

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
It's really a shame. Lovie is very well liked and a good defensive mind. I had hoped over the years he would just hire a genius OC and let him do the work. He hasn't been able to find a talented enough OC who can run the whole show. But then again that begs the question... is Lovie any more than just a good DC?

If you have trouble identifying offensive talent both pro and college, and have trouble identifying quality offensive coaching, then how are you a good head coach?

Most all coaches lean towards one side of the ball, I understand that. But what they do is put a quality coach on the other side of the ball. Lovie hasn't found that in 8 and 1/2 seasons.

Tice was really the last straw for me. You have a very talented team. The NFC is wide open (I don't believe in the Falcons). And you put the offense in the hands of someone who has never called plays before. This is unforgivable. Tice has been embarassed in multiple games this year. I can't fault him, he doesn't have the experience at the position to succeed.

The Bears are 30th in total offense. Thats with Cutler, Marshall and Forte. That's bad coaching and can't be blamed solely on lack of talent. The Bears certainly have a talent deficiency on O-line, but I can't see how some people don't place any blame on Lovie for this and only blame JA. What happened all of the last offseason when they failed to improve the weakest link on the team?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
The Bears are 30th in total offense. Thats with Cutler, Marshall and Forte. That's bad coaching and can't be blamed solely on lack of talent. The Bears certainly have a talent deficiency on O-line, but I can't see how some people don't place any blame on Lovie for this and only blame JA. What happened all of the last offseason when they failed to improve the weakest link on the team?

Lovie does shoulder some of the blame. I can't really fault him for the last debacle(s) of OC hirings.

Who wants to go be a OC where they have left the coaching staff in place only to change the GM...and the prior...who would really want to come to be the OC when the GM at the time basically comes out publically and gives not one bit of vocal confidence that the HC will be there the following year. Unless you are retiring from coaching, it's hard to want to come here for a long-term coaching job.

I was frustrated with his reluctance to shitcanTurner and still have no clue on why Drake is still here.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Besides the usual big name coaches such as Gruden or Cowher, Im surprised no one has mentioned Chip Kelly from Oregon. I read an article just the other day about him being the "next big thing".

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Besides the usual big name coaches such as Gruden or Cowher, Im surprised no one has mentioned Chip Kelly from Oregon. I read an article just the other day about him being the "next big thing".

Now that frightens me, haha

Chibearsfan

Cutler Chubby
Liked Posts:
I was worried earlier this season, after the great start, when the extend Lovie talk started and he can't be a lame duck coach going into next season. Are you kidding me? If they don't go deep in playoffs you fire his ass, if they do, you let him coach again on the hot seat next season. The ONLY way you extend him is if the Bears WIN the Super Bowl.

northsiderbearcub

Liked Posts:
Yes he would. He wouldn't coddle the players and maybe we can have a decent 2nd half without giving up.

bummer33062

Liked Posts:
his last playoff win was the sb in 03, when he won with the team tony dungy built. there is a reason he was fired by the bucs...and bill cohwer was basically the white love smith with the steelers. he finally won a sb in 06 with a lot of help from the refs...i'm not a big fan of love smith but a big name doesn't always mean a better coach
Well, if he can block or play MLB sign him. Lol

Daa Bearrs

Liked Posts:
You can ignore the Lovie is better then Gruden crowd. If Gruden came on board next year nearly every one of them will pull a 180 and declare us SB-bound now that we have the greta Gruden.

For the record, I agree with you, Gruden is in an entirely different class of HC then Lovie, and it's not even close.

John Gruden is Mike Ditka 2.0

An (average) offensive minded coach with DA FIRE AND PASSION!!! who won a superbowl largely based on a defense he had little to do with, all while being a Special person when it comes to GMing of any kind. Yep, Ditka 2.0

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
John Gruden is Mike Ditka 2.0

An (average) offensive minded coach with DA FIRE AND PASSION!!! who won a superbowl largely based on a defense he nothing to do with, all while being a Special person when it comes to GMing of any kind. Yep, Ditka 2.0

Had to make a correction

cobbland

Liked Posts:
Gruden won with a team that Dungy couldn't get over the hump, and he is just the kind of coach Chicago needs, a good offensive mind and motivator, not a laid back pussy like Lovie.

Yeah, if you want a repeat of this incident.

[video=youtube;r-a9BhLIpwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-a9BhLIpwM[/video]

Keyshawn Johnson says Jon Gruden messed with his psyche
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 23, 2011, 11:24 AM EST

We have a new installment of ESPN on ESPN crime, as a former player who now works for ESPN gave an example of a miserable experience with a coach he hated — a coach who also happens to work for ESPN.

Keyshawn Johnson said this morning on Sunday NFL Countdown that he despised playing for Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay so much that he was desperate to leave, by any means necessary.

“When your psyche is messed with, and you don’t want to be around the organization or team, you just want to do whatever you can to get out of there,” Johnson said. “And that was the situation when I was under Coach Gruden in Tampa.”

Gruden became Johnson’s coach in 2002, when he took the Bucs job, and they won the Super Bowl that season. But the next year, Gruden and Johnson were at each other’s throats so much that the Bucs essentially kicked Johnson off the team, sending him home and deactivating him for the final seven games.

Johnson says he was more than happy to exit a team coached by Gruden.

“I didn’t want to be there,” Johnson said. “I didn’t want to be in the environment. No matter we had just won a championship, and I was playing fine the year that I got deactivated, I was doing great. In fact, we had a chance to go to the playoffs. But it was just something about the way I was being coached, talked to, dealt with. Just didn’t want to be there. So for me, I was happy when I got the phone call that said, ‘Hey, we’re going to deactivate you for the rest of the year.’ I was excited. I was like, ‘Oh, cool, no problem. I don’t have to be around this because my health is more important.’ Going into a building and not wanting to be there, it was just a blessing to me to be able to go to Dallas. Heck, even before I went to Dallas I was talking to the Arizona Cardinals. Now think about that. I just wanted to get out of Tampa.”

We’ll be curious to see whether ESPN gives Gruden equal time to respond.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hnson-says-jon-gruden-messed-with-his-psyche/

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Yeah, if you want a repeat of this incident.

[video=youtube;r-a9BhLIpwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-a9BhLIpwM[/video]

The Bears are going to sign Keyshawn Johnson?

RacerX

Liked Posts:

I have been living in the Pac-10 (12) for over 20 seasons, am a Cal season ticket guy and watch several Pac games each week. Chip Kelly is an NFL disaster waiting to happen, that system he runs doesn't even work against the SEC, it translates into a monstrous fail in the NFL. Some mega-Special person team will throw crazy dollars at him and buy him out after 2 years...pray it isn't the Bears.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I have been living in the Pac-10 (12) for over 20 seasons, am a Cal season ticket guy and watch several Pac games each week. Chip Kelly is an NFL disaster waiting to happen, that system he runs doesn't even work against the SEC, it translates into a monstrous fail in the NFL. Some mega-Special person team will throw crazy dollars at him and buy him out after 2 years...pray it isn't the Bears.
I see either Oakland or Carolina going that route