Would you be a fan of legalizing PEDs?

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
I think for baseball it should be a requirement.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
The whole natural vs synthetic argument is fucking stupid. The chemical compound for synthetically made B12 and food-derived B12 is exactly the same. Cobra venom and arsenic occur naturally - should I take them?

As for PEDs, I remember getting swept up in the McGwire/Sosa hysteria but with a little voice in my head telling me something was wrong. Then I remember feeling like a total chump when I found out what I should have known. It wasn't that I made some sort of conscious decision to turn my back on baseball after that, I just plain lost interest for about ten years.

Just no to all of that. Pro sports are not like a fucking video game where you can get extra powers for making it to the next level, or get a power-up to instantly fix an injury. Grow up.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I was discussing this with a friend of mine and he was all for letting athletes use whatever the hell they want. Do you think it takes away from the spirit of the game? As discussed in the other thread, a vast majority of players are probably on something, so would you be a fan of legalizing it in the league?
Not the least bit interested in watching anyone perform unnaturally. It's not remotely healthy for the body either.

Washington

Liked Posts:
If you are to do those supplements Man, just be cautious. Sauna everyday to help sweat any existing toxins and take milk thistle.

I take milk thistle everyday but I also take Kre-alkalyn pre-workout. I like it better than creatine monohydrate because there is no bloat. I don't take anything else for lifting (I am old and lift to maintain quality of life and not as a body builder). I have coffee as my pre-workout stimulant and that is because I drink a lot of it period.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My mind is boggled by this thread. Athletes is all major sports take shit. People with this honor of the game bullshit. People have been looking for an advantage since sports were created. Now, with millions of dollars on the line. What do you have to lose? Get a bad name? LOL Ill get a bad name for millions of dollars. I also find it funny people judge baseball players while they watch 250-300 pound men with 6% body fat run 4.8 40's, bench press a truck, and launch themselves like missiles at other players. All natural of course. lol

Washington

Liked Posts:
Now, with millions of dollars on the line. What do you have to lose? Get a bad name? LOL Ill get a bad name for millions of dollars.

Now I could be wrong, but I'm thinking McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds would give up some of those millions to have their reputation back. I'd be willing to bet they have lost sleep over getting a bad name.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now I could be wrong, but I'm thinking McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds would give up some of those millions to have their reputation back. I'd be willing to bet they have lost sleep over getting a bad name.

Think of the small percentage that is? Also, Sosa and McGwire don't sniff the hall without roids. Bonds was a top 10 player all times with or without roids. Also, McGwire and bonds both have jobs as MLB hitting coaches and Sosa looks like Michael Jackson. I think they will be alright. Also, Bonds will get in the hall of fame sooner or later. We are now in the era where no one knows who did what.

Also, let me give the best recent example. Marlon Byrd was an average at best OF in the majors. All of the sudden he is smashing home runs. He gets a big contract and gets popped for roids a couple of years into it. He comes back works his way back into another contract and boom. He gets popped again and now his career is over. Do you think he gives a shit? He just parlayed 50 plus million dollars out of it and no one was going to remember 5 years from now anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washington

Liked Posts:
Sosa and McGwire don't sniff the hall without roids

So that's what you want - guys who make the HOF because of roids and not talent?

Also, Bonds will get in the hall of fame sooner or later.

I personally don't think so. I think the stigma against his cheating will prevent it. Sure, he's a coach but he's also looked at as a cheater by most fans. I still think he wishes his reputation was that of a great player and not one where his noodle grew like 5"s due to him taking PEDs and cheating.

Also, let me give the best recent example. Marlon Byrd was an average at best OF in the majors. All of the sudden he is smashing home runs. He gets a big contract and gets popped for roids a couple of years into it. He comes back works his way back into another contract and boom. He gets popped again and now his career is over. Do you think he gives a shit? He just parlayed 50 plus million dollars out of it and no one was going to remember 5 years from now anyway.

So that justifies making PEDs legal? Average players become good so we should allow PEDs so all players can be good. Great example for the youth too. Let's get PEDs into all the high school athlete's hands because they will need them in college and will have to take them in the pros in order to compete because everyone will be on them.

Why stop at PEDs? Imagine how great a linebacker could be if he played on meth?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So that's what you want - guys who make the HOF because of roids and not talent?

I personally don't think so. I think the stigma against his cheating will prevent it. Sure, he's a coach but he's also looked at as a cheater by most fans. I still think he wishes his reputation was that of a great player and not one where his noodle grew like 5"s due to him taking PEDs and cheating.

So that justifies making PEDs legal? Average players become good so we should allow PEDs so all players can be good. Great example for the youth too. Let's get PEDs into all the high school athlete's hands because they will need them in college and will have to take them in the pros in order to compete because everyone will be on them.

Why stop at PEDs? Imagine how great a linebacker could be if he played on meth?

Professional athletes have been playing on speed like substances since the 60's ala a greenie.

So, do you take issues with the NFL doping there players up so they can go out and play? Urlacher used to take a shot of Toradol before every game to play. Brett Favre had about a 20 something pills a day vicodin habit to go out and play. Yet again, if the choice is becoming a millionaire over the honor of the game. People are going to choose the millions of dollars.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Professional athletes have been playing on speed like substances since the 60's ala a greenie.

So, do you take issues with the NFL doping there players up so they can go out and play? Urlacher used to take a shot of Toradol before every game to play. Brett Favre had about a 20 something pills a day vicodin habit to go out and play. Yet again, if the choice is becoming a millionaire over the honor of the game. People are going to choose the millions of dollars.

I have no issue with people taking pain pills that are in pain. My wife has RA and she needs pain pills daily just to function in life. They don't make her bigger and stronger and out-clean all the other old neighbor ladies :).

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
My mind is boggled by this thread. Athletes is all major sports take shit. People with this honor of the game bullshit. People have been looking for an advantage since sports were created. Now, with millions of dollars on the line. What do you have to lose? Get a bad name? LOL Ill get a bad name for millions of dollars. I also find it funny people judge baseball players while they watch 250-300 pound men with 6% body fat run 4.8 40's, bench press a truck, and launch themselves like missiles at other players. All natural of course. lol

LOL. There was so much blowback to Braun last time he got caught, it should be very clear to anyone that MLB players want this crap out of baseball and it is getting out of baseball...make that Professional Baseball. I can't vouch for loser parents who help there kids cheat to get a D1 schollie.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mark McGwire's 50 home runs as a rookie showed a little bit of natural talent and power. Since he had all the hardware and awards, I'm not so sure he is kept out without roids, or that he wouldn't have hit 500 home runs without.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mark McGwire's 50 home runs as a rookie showed a little bit of natural talent and power. Since he had all the hardware and awards, I'm not so sure he is kept out without roids, or that he wouldn't have hit 500 home runs without.

He had a lot of injuries and word on the street was he was taking them as a rookie.

Last edited:

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
Just say no.

[video]http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/update-all-drug-olympics/n9691[/video]

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So when did you quit watching NFL football? Most of these guys are on stuff that isn't allowed and the league knows it!
I haven't quit. A lot of injuries are caused by players too big and too fast. Get the PEDs out of the game and it will be a much better game to watch.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

McGwire graduated from the high school that I coached at, Damien High School in LaVerne. He got hurt and lost one season while there. I wasn't there when he played. I came afterward but the word that I got was that he was a tall and fairly skinny ball player. His brother was bigger than he was and played college football as a quarterback and was drafted into the NFL. Another old brother was a professional golfer. His dad was a pretty well known dentist in the area and I met him a couple of times. He also was a big man but was disabled from polio at a young age.

Genetics wise, the McGwire family was very big and very athletic. I also know that he was still pretty thin while at USC and wasn't known as strictly a power hitter as he hit for a pretty good average both in high school and at USC. He never had great power numbers in the minors also but hit 49 HRs in his rookie season which tells me that he probably did juice it up, maybe even in the minors?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL. There was so much blowback to Braun last time he got caught, it should be very clear to anyone that MLB players want this crap out of baseball and it is getting out of baseball...make that Professional Baseball. I can't vouch for loser parents who help there kids cheat to get a D1 schollie.

I would have taken roids for 2 years to get a full ride. Fuck yeah, sign me up. Fuck student loans until that asshole is a distended, gaping bloody mess.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I would have taken roids for 2 years to get a full ride. Fuck yeah, sign me up. Fuck student loans until that asshole is a distended, gaping bloody mess.
Sure, but baseball isn't a revenue sport. There are 11.7 schollies divided amongst 27 players. 35 players can be rostered at D1, so at least 8 are walk ons.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
Sure. Let's legalize them. If you think players are crying about the long term effects of being concussed, wait until the "I wasn't told PEDs would cause this!" lawsuits spring forth from all the side effects.

True, the NFL policing this is like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500. Still not grounds to legalize them. Not by a long shot.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I have a take on this that is slightly different.

The NFL should test the shit out of everyone and not allow any peds. However there should be another league where it's totally allowed. We would find out what the people really want if there was a regular league and an NFL blitz style league.

You get popped in the NFL and there is another place to play. Of course the guys willing to play in the drugged league would have to give up rights to sue, but it could be interesting to the average consumer. I think a lot of people would be happy to watch a bunch of steroid jacked athletes try to kill each other on Saturdays and Sundays during the off season. They would have their championship game the weekend before the preseason started, and their season would start the week after the super bowl. Possibly could have two games per week, as we are talking about athletes that use every advantage to heal as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk