Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
The D in that situation, with that great field position was stopping them. Kicking the field goal creates an unknown and makes it a field goal game only.

No one is arguing that a touchdown isn't better than a field goal. Clearly it is. The play calling and execution were terrible in that series and the Bears should have scored a TD. But they failed to get the grand prize on 3 tries. On the 4th try, you take the (almost) guaranteed consolation prize. At the end of the game, the team with the lead wins (duh).

It's different if the Bears are down by 5 instead of one. Then you need a TD.

I understand the argument that the defense was playing well, and if you don't score, the Lions have to go 99 yards and you are likely to get good field position again. But as well as the defense was playing, you can't be concerned that they won't stop the Lions from going 70 or 80 yards, but have total confidence in them stopping the Lions on their one!

You take the field goal, take the lead and trust your defense to make another stop so you can try to score again.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would of gone for it...but woruld of called different plays.

3rd down: Call a running play right up the middle...not a passing play.
4th down: Call a QB sneak...not a running play to outside the tackles.

You can switch it, it does not really matter.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would of gone for it...but woruld of called different plays.

3rd down: Call a running play right up the middle...not a passing play.
4th down: Call a QB sneak...not a running play to outside the tackles.

You can switch it, it does not really matter.

Again, you and a lot of other people are missing the point. Yes, call different plays, but do it on 1st 2nd and 3rd down. On 4th down, take the points and the lead!

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Again, you and a lot of other people are missing the point. Yes, call different plays, but do it on 1st 2nd and 3rd down. On 4th down, take the points and the lead!

It may have stemmed from us being overly confident. You must remember, until the last minute of the game, once Stafford came out of the game, the Lions didn't have 1 first down and stayed within the 10 yard line the entire time.

Hats off to Brad Maynard more then anything really. He won us the game.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
It may have stemmed from us being overly confident. You must remember, until the last minute of the game, once Stafford came out of the game, the Lions didn't have 1 first down and stayed within the 10 yard line the entire time.

True, but I had no confidence in them scoring on 4th down after getting stuffed on the previous 3 downs. Detroit's front 7 is pretty good this year and our O-line is not. I had total confidence in Gould kicking a FG from the one and and our defense stopping the Lions on the following drive.

I was wrong on that last part, but until then it was a reasonable assumption.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
True, but I had no confidence in them scoring on 4th down after getting stuffed on the previous 3 downs. Detroit's front 7 is pretty good this year and our O-line is not. I had total confidence in Gould kicking a FG from the one and and our defense stopping the Lions on the following drive.

I was wrong on that last part, but until then it was a reasonable assumption.

It wasn't that reasonable, I'm not entirely sure but I believe the last time that Lions offense had anything but backed up field position they were in the redzone, and Tilman got a lucky interception. Letting them have a field goal game isn't a good enough. It's settling and putting yourself in terrible situation.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well, I think the Bears would of made it on 1st or 2nd down if they did a QB sneak or run it right up the gut. It wouldn't get to 3rd or 4th down, I think.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Only an idiot doesnt take the 3 points there...isnt that a good description of the head coach? He proves, yet again, that he is unfit to coach professional football. But that guffaw wasnt the worst. They pressured Hill so much that he couldnt breathe out there but when the game is on the line, Coach Idiot allows DC Moron to let them back off into the "prevent" and should have but didnt lose the game. Even when this regime wins a game, they look like fools.

Veritas

Liked Posts:
Take into consideration that the Lions had no first downs and had two turnovers in the second half at that point in the game under Shaun Hill. There should not have been any hesitation for Lovie Smith to send Robbie Gould onto the field to take the lead. That is without mentioning that our offense struggled to gain any yards on the ground in the second half. I also think Mike Martz called very predictable plays on that series and I would have either ran a play action pass or a quarterback sneak on first down.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I liked the decision to go for it.

First off, it's a message to your team that they need to earn seven points, rather than settling for three. Making that point in week 1 could pay off later down the road.

Second, and this was a point that Lovie Smith made, was anything less than a touchdown would've been a victory for the Lions' defense. It was an all or nothing scenario in the coaches' eyes, and I can't disagree with them.

Third, your defense was playing great and there was a very good chance they were going to force another 3-and-out and with 9 minutes left, you'd be getting the ball back with great field position.

I liked the call, and I would've made it myself.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Well, I think the Bears would of made it on 1st or 2nd down if they did a QB sneak or run it right up the gut. It wouldn't get to 3rd or 4th down, I think.

I'm with you, can't believe they never tried a QB sneak. It's the best short-yardage play in football ... linemen don't have time to miss blocks on that one.

And when your QB is 6'6", all he has to do is take the snap and reach over the top of his 6'1" center and it's six points.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Only an idiot doesnt take the 3 points there...isnt that a good description of the head coach? He proves, yet again, that he is unfit to coach professional football. But that guffaw wasnt the worst. They pressured Hill so much that he couldnt breathe out there but when the game is on the line, Coach Idiot allows DC Moron to let them back off into the "prevent" and should have but didnt lose the game. Even when this regime wins a game, they look like fools.

That entirely isn't what they did at all but if you want to just assume all is generic and perceive what is public opinion(which in no grounds mean correct) go for it.
:bears:

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Second, and this was a point that Lovie Smith made, was anything less than a touchdown would've been a victory for the Lions' defense. It was an all or nothing scenario in the coaches' eyes, and I can't disagree with them.

Your second point just proves why Lovie is a clueless dolt. A victory for the Lions defense? They'd still lose the lead! Ugh! So they don't give up 6, who gives a rat's ass, they still gave up the lead. It's that type of moronic mentality that has allowed Lovie to continue coaching this team into the ground the last 3 years. 31 out of 32 NFL coaches after being stopped on the previous 3 plays on the 1yd line, down by 1 in the end of the 4th, WOULD KICK THE FIELD GOAL!

MidwestDichotomy

Liked Posts:
With the way the defense had been playing to that point, definitely kick the FG and take the lead. The previous 3 plays were stuffed, incomplete, stuffed. What made Lovie think they'd all of a sudden be able to get that yard on the 4th try? I said it was a bad call when they were lining up to run the play, and even if they'd scored, I still would have said it was a bad call.

JT4Ever4Ever

Lovie made the right call. 1st and Goal on the 1. If you can't get a TD in 4 tries, you don't deserve to win the game. PERIOD.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
waldo would have done a punt to the other team for a turnover.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I liked the decision to go for it.

I liked the call, and I would've made it myself.

DMelt brings up a good point. I liked the call, too. It shows confidence in your offense, and it was agressive and gutsy. Too often in the past, the Bears have been too conservative and afraid to take risks.

I still say it was the wrong call.

Nothing has really been said about the psychology of the call, yet. By going for it on fourth down, and not getting it, it could have potentially changed the momentum and given the Lions defense added confidence. If they had marched down the field and scored a TD on the next drive, like they (sort of) did on the last drive, they would've been up by 8, and it would've been very difficult for the Bears to come back and win at that point, needing 2 scores to win or a TD and 2pt conversion to tie. Luckily this didn't happen but it could have.

By taking the FG you take away the lead from the Lions, along with their defense's confidence and their momentum, and the Bears defense still has a chance to force a 3 and out and get the ball back again.

I liked the call, but that's not the poll question. It was a bad call, whether I liked it or not and I wouldn't have done it. I would've taken the FG.

Last edited:

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Your second point just proves why Lovie is a clueless dolt. A victory for the Lions defense? They'd still lose the lead! Ugh! So they don't give up 6, who gives a rat's ass, they still gave up the lead. It's that type of moronic mentality that has allowed Lovie to continue coaching this team into the ground the last 3 years. 31 out of 32 NFL coaches after being stopped on the previous 3 plays on the 1yd line, down by 1 in the end of the 4th, WOULD KICK THE FIELD GOAL!

If a defense is forced to start a series at their own 1-yard line and they prevent the other team from scoring a TD, it's a victory for them. Losing the lead is a moot point, because it's not their fault. They would've done their job and done it well.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
DMelt brings up a good point. I liked the call, too. It shows confidence in your offense, and it was agressive and gutsy. Too often in the past, the Bears have been too conservative and afraid to take risks.

I still say it was the wrong call.

Nothing has really been said about the psychology of the call, yet. By going for it on fourth down, and not getting it, it could have potentially changed the momentum and given the Lions defense added confidence. If they had marched down the field and scored a TD on the next drive, like they (sort of) did on the last drive, they would've been up by 8, and it would've been very difficult for the Bears to come back and win at that point, needing 2 scores to win or a TD and 2pt conversion to tie. Luckily this didn't happen but it could have.

By taking the FG you take away the lead from the Lions, along with their defense's confidence and their momentum, and the Bears defense still has a chance to force a 3 and out and get the ball back again.

I liked the call, but that's not the poll question. It was a bad call, whether I liked it or not and I wouldn't have done it. I would've taken the FG.

I understand both sides of this argument and I honestly don't believe there's a right answer. It makes for a great debate, though.

A lot of it is just a matter of your football philosophy. I'll bet ya that at least 90% of people who have played on an offensive line at any point in their lives would have wanted to go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.