Would you trade Nick Morrow for a late third round pick?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Kind of an interesting comp pick scenario looking likely.
The Bears currently have signed 5 compensatory free agents and other teams have signed 4 of the Bears compensatory free agents. Akiem Hicks will likely sign making it 5 and 5, leaving the Bears with no 2023 comp picks.

If they were to cut Morrow during TC that would free up the Allen Robinson 3rd rnd comp pick slot.

If that scenario plays out is Nick Morrow being on the 2023 roster worth giving up that comp pick?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, he’s worth keeping.

Last edited:

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Kind of an interesting comp pick scenario looking likely.
The Bears currently have signed 5 compensatory free agents and other teams have signed 4 of the Bears compensatory free agents. Akiem Hicks will likely sign making it 5 and 5, leaving the Bears with no 2023 comp picks.

If they were to cut Morrow during TC that would free up the Allen Robinson 3rd rnd comp pick slot.

If that scenario plays out is Nick Morrow being on the 2023 roster worth giving up that comp pick?
The question is, will that comp pick turn out to be a better player than Morrow. Chances are not likely.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ok but we sill need a 2 more LBs so if not Morrow then who. If you don't sign him but then have to draft a LB to fill the spot then it becomes a bit of a wash.

Going into every offseason, I think you assess the needs of the team, how likely you are going to need to sign FAs to fill those needs and based on that you sort of plan out whether this will be a comp pick year or not. The reality is given all the needs the next two years and the money we have to spend, I imagine the Bears considered themselves net buyers in 2022 and 2023.

Now it turns out that Ogun failed his physical but it sounded like they were going to sign one prime FA during the tampering period so think the fact they are so close to having a comp pick is more luck than anything. They were probably projecting to be out of the comp pick running by the end of the first week of FA.

baredown

Liked Posts:
The road to comp picks is to collect extra draft picks via trades or draft moves for 2-3 years, assemble a roster that's deep & young, then let your average-to-decent starters go into FA rather than overpay them. The comp picks generated then help to sustain the process. The Bears aren't on that road yet. But hopefully they're at least pulling out of the driveway now. Pace had them in the garage, up on blocks, with the engine running...

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What is the obsession with comp picks?
Well the Rams get 3 or 4 every year and can do stuff like trade their first round picks because they get depth in the later rounds.

I mean it’s pretty obvious…. More picks is better. It’s literally an extra round in the draft (32 picks) that the Bears almost never participate in.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ok but we sill need a 2 more LBs so if not Morrow then who. If you don't sign him but then have to draft a LB to fill the spot then it becomes a bit of a wash.

Going into every offseason, I think you assess the needs of the team, how likely you are going to need to sign FAs to fill those needs and based on that you sort of plan out whether this will be a comp pick year or not. The reality is given all the needs the next two years and the money we have to spend, I imagine the Bears considered themselves net buyers in 2022 and 2023.

Now it turns out that Ogun failed his physical but it sounded like they were going to sign one prime FA during the tampering period so think the fact they are so close to having a comp pick is more luck than anything. They were probably projecting to be out of the comp pick running by the end of the first week of FA.

Every free agent signed after the draft doesn’t count. There will be lots of free agents still available at that point.

greg23

Liked Posts:
You pretty much need to draft your way into comp picks.....the Bears are years away from getting there.....dont get the immediate obsession over it for next season; at best they may be able to get one late rounder.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Russell okung is still a FA from last year.
? Not sure what you mean? Did he sit out the season?

My point is every free agent available now…. If you just wait a month…. Doesn’t count towards the formula. (Obviously not every player wants to wait that long though).

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
? Not sure what you mean? Did he sit out the season?

My point is every free agent available now…. If you just wait a month…. Doesn’t count towards the formula. (Obviously not every player wants to wait that long though).
Yes he did sit out the season. He's probably as healthy as he's ever been

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Another thought. He signed for 1yr/$3M ( $1.25M SB/$1.25M salary and 500k PG roster bonus)
Why not sign him to a 2yr/$4.5M contract that adds $1.5M to the second season that is able to be cancelled / nonguaranteed by both?
That would have kept him off the CFA list and been essentially a 1 yr contract with an out for both.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The road to comp picks is to collect extra draft picks via trades or draft moves for 2-3 years, assemble a roster that's deep & young, then let your average-to-decent starters go into FA rather than overpay them. The comp picks generated then help to sustain the process. The Bears aren't on that road yet. But hopefully they're at least pulling out of the driveway now. Pace had them in the garage, up on blocks, with the engine running...
Been trying to tell people this for weeks now. This year and next year aren’t looking good at all for us getting comp picks. But after 2023, IF Poles has drafted decently, things should turn around in that regard…

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
I thinks it’s quite clear that the comp pick strategy isn’t happening. There will be other signings, such that this whole topic is moot.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
OP is gon trade Morrow for a pick in the hopes of drafting someone as good as Morrow?

Yes. Also, please note that it would be a 2023 pick...

So trade a guy for a pick a year from now which has about a 70% bust rate. Makes sense.

#compSB

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It's not necessarily the number of free agents signed versus what was lost but the salary comparisons. Plus the players have to actually make the roster for a certain length of time