WR Depth

Celks

Liked Posts:
Give defenses something else they have to think/plan for....

Defenses already have to think/plan for 3 Pass catchers who are 6'3" or taller and Forte coming out of the backfield and this year probably Wilson. Speed WR doesn't mean anything in this offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Defenses already have to think/plan for 3 Pass catchers who are 6'3" or taller and Forte coming out of the backfield and this year probably Wilson. Speed WR doesn't mean anything in this offense.

Huh? That doesn't make any sense.

More options of varied attacks simply equals more a Defense has to be prepared for... Or more advantageous to exploit.

It's because teams would have to focus on those big targets a speedy/quick target deep or inside. There's many things a team can do if they have various formations and player packages. It's the same principal of teams wanting the 2 TE kinda style the Pats had

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
The chances Wilson is better than Bennett at the slot reciever/blocker job are low....but he might be more of a deep threat. Bennett had elusive speed, ran good routes and angles like Jerry Rice just running sin and cosine and tangent curves.

Wilson college highlight is really something special and shows some of the high point traits Emery loved in Jeffrey. He can haul in the spectacular, but I doubt he is more reliable than Earl. Still....exposing that weapon should give teams something extra to think about.

blocker maybe not but Wilson definitely has the potential to be just as good and maybe better than than Bennett was. Wilson is more of a deep threat like you said but he also can elude defenders and run good routes, hit college tape did not just show a go up and get it player. This is why he was projected as a late 1st-2nd round pick after his sophomore year.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

But giving them a deep threat they have to be worried about may cause different safety play and allow the Bears to catch more mis-match opportunities

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
i don't think it's a "need" but a speed receiver would give the bears offense a dimension it clearly lacks.

but that's more of a luxury for the bears at this point. i think they'll look at receivers late in the draft but won't be going into the draft intent on taking one.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
i don't think it's a "need" but a speed receiver would give the bears offense a dimension it clearly lacks.

but that's more of a luxury for the bears at this point. i think they'll look at receivers late in the draft but won't be going into the draft intent on taking one.

IMO if they draft a WR it will be because he has speed and the ability to be a good return man.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;BXlf9HZ7Fno]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXlf9HZ7Fno[/video]

Celks

Liked Posts:
But giving them a deep threat they have to be worried about may cause different safety play and allow the Bears to catch more mis-match opportunities

Both Marshall and Jeffery are our deep threat and we don't know how Wilson will be used this year.

Celks

Liked Posts:
Huh? That doesn't make any sense.

More options of varied attacks simply equals more a Defense has to be prepared for... Or more advantageous to exploit.

It's because teams would have to focus on those big targets a speedy/quick target deep or inside. There's many things a team can do if they have various formations and player packages. It's the same principal of teams wanting the 2 TE kinda style the Pats had

You should still be in school if my post didnt make sense to you, we already have 4 weapons with the chance of Wilson contributing as the 5th. This offense doesn't need a speed WR to give them more options.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It looks to me like Tolliver is a natural back-up to our edge routes designed for Marshal and Jeffrey who are similar physically. Ideally we would have one more of those in training and two in the slot/return man profile.

Wilson might solve that and allow us to keep just 5 because he can do either. I think Emery is a fairly complicated mind, and he likely evaluated depth of WR in general across the NFL before deciding to cut Earl. When you can get similar production for cheap all over the place it makes no sense to pay for. Emery is very good at WR evaluation so I assume we will always have a full deck of talent on cheap contracts waiting for the day that will make us all cringe.

In my opinion, Wilson and Tolliver are both good finds.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
You should still be in school if my post didnt make sense to you, we already have 4 weapons with the chance of Wilson contributing as the 5th. This offense doesn't need a speed WR to give them more options.

You said speed WR.doesn't mean anything to the offense... That's an completely nonsensical statement, which is what I found making no sense. There's always the availability for more options of attack.

And you're the only one who combined need with speed wr in the thread. You actually showed poor reading comprehension here, not sure what you think the point you're arguing with.

Celks

Liked Posts:
You said speed WR.doesn't mean anything to the offense... That's an completely false statement, which is what I found making no sense. There's always the availability for more options of attack.

And you're the only one who combined need with speed wr in the thread. You actually showed poor reading comprehension here, not sure what you think the point you're arguing with.

You are correct I said this offense doesn't need a speedy WR, which what my original post on this thread was about, not arguing about anything just stating my opinion haha. Too many weapons is not a good thing. Trestmans offense doesn't call for a speedy WR to be successful, which is why one is not needed.

Celks

Liked Posts:
Top 2 scoring offenses didn't utilize speedy WRs like some people on here want to use one. Very over rated when you could have possession WRs do the same tasks.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Both Marshall and Jeffery are our deep threat and we don't know how Wilson will be used this year.

You're grasping what I am saying...yes they can catch the ball deep clearly but they are not burners that can stretch the middle of the field on a post pattern

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Top 2 scoring offenses didn't utilize speedy WRs like some people on here want to use one. Very over rated when you could have possession WRs do the same tasks.

but why not add a dimension to your attack. You can also get a returner out of the situation.

Celks

Liked Posts:
You're grasping what I am saying...yes they can catch the ball deep clearly but they are not burners that can stretch the middle of the field on a post pattern

And we didn't need a burner at all last year.

Celks

Liked Posts:
but why not add a dimension to your attack. You can also get a returner out of the situation.

I see where you are coming from but too many dimensions to your offense is not a good thing to have.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
And we didn't need a burner at all last year.

we also didn't "need" a decent backup TE, but they are nice to have. You can add another dimension to your attack. According to Hester, Trestman wanted him to be a receiver. Maybe the Bears did want a speed guy.

I don't see why you would be opposed to having the extra luxury of a speed guy that Trestman can add to the Bears offensive versatility.

Last edited: