Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
City has nothing to do with the rooftops. I think you mean the courts. And if that's the case the cubs obviously believe they can win in court or at least move the rooftop owners to the negotiating table or else they wouldn't be doing this.

All this money towards the legal fight could have went a long way towards improving the ballpark or club...

Just saying, I find it hard to see the Ricketts family as sympathetic figures in this process.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
All this money towards the legal fight could have went a long way towards improving the ballpark or club...

Just saying, I find it hard to see the Ricketts family as sympathetic figures in this process.

Not really. The cubs like any business of their size likely have lawyers on the payroll anyways. All they are doing now is earning their money. Also, who's saying they are sympathetic? It's just want has to be done. The rooftop owners are obviously trying to protect their business and the cubs are doing what's good for them which is getting sign revenue because who doesn't want more revenue? This ownership group didn't agree to the rooftop deal. So, if they think they can get around it why shouldn't they? And if the court says they can't then they consider moving the stadium.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not really. The cubs like any business of their size likely have lawyers on the payroll anyways. All they are doing now is earning their money. Also, who's saying they are sympathetic? It's just want has to be done. The rooftop owners are obviously trying to protect their business and the cubs are doing what's good for them which is getting sign revenue because who doesn't want more revenue? This ownership group didn't agree to the rooftop deal. So, if they think they can get around it why shouldn't they? And if the court says they can't then they consider moving the stadium.

Technically, they did when they bought the team. I see what your saying and I want a resolution to this ASAP as well, but if a jumbotron is stopping the Cubs from spending money, then their in bigger problems.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Oh great, Fenway :pedobear: signed up here to inform Chicago sports fans about Boston and Massachusetts events and sporting accomplishments like we're supposed to care.
:rolleyes:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
17 seconds.

Mitchapalooza

Oh great, Fenway signed up here to inform Chicago sports fans about Boston and Massachusetts events and sporting accomplishments like we're supposed to care.
:pedobear: :rolleyes:

RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX.

SWEEEET CAROLINE! BUM BUM BUM!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Technically, they did when they bought the team. I see what your saying and I want a resolution to this ASAP as well, but if a jumbotron is stopping the Cubs from spending money, then their in bigger problems.

I don't think it's stopping them from spending money on players. It's stopping their renovations. I suppose you could argue that is stopping income which then is in turn stopping player acquisition. But, I don't agree. What's stopping player acquisition is that they aren't a good team. That's why Sanchez and Tanaka were less interested. They played plenty of games to half or more empty stadiums. Plus, those renovations aren't a quick fix. They will take considerable time. We can debate about the best way to stop being a shitty team but they are one right now.

And even then, I don't think they can't afford it without the signs. But, if someone is going to front a lot of the bill for you why wouldn't you let them? And honestly, if there are going to be issues over this that they can't get thrown out in court then you need to take a long look at relocating. At the end of the day, the cubs are in a situation where an outside business is impacting their ability to improve their property/business. They need to tread lightly because you don't want to get yourself stuck in a $300 mil renovation and then have to fight the rooftop owners at every turn whenever you want to add something to your property.

Honestly, I'd be more open to them relocating rather than paying off the rooftop owners.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
If the rooftop owners really are having trouble paying their bills with the decreased attendance records -- how can the withstand a long, drawn out legal fight with the Cubs? Interest in the Cubs will increase in 2015 with the young prospects, but 2014 will be even worse than 2013. We'll lose 95-100 games again and eventually fans will start to revolt.

To be honest, I think we, as a fan base, should collectively organize an area-wide boycott of both the Cubs and the rooftop owners. We're the ones suffering.