WTF happened on the game breaking TD?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bryce Callahan lined up across from the slot receiver Randall Cobb. 2 deep safeties, Amos on Prince Amukamara’s side and Jackson on Kyle Fuller’s side.

ICH7Skl.jpg

As the receivers release on their routes, Kyle Fuller (black) is playing outside leverage knowing he has no help deep. Bryce Callahan is also playing outside leverage, knowing that he has help in the middle of the field. On the other side of the field, Prince Amukamara is playing inside leverage. He’s taking away any short stuff on in breaking routes, knowing that he has help deep from Amos.

ltPzlvu.jpg

As Randall Cobb makes his break inside, Callahan and Jackson swap positions.

6Y6XuvC.jpg

Now Jackson is covering Randall Cobb, and Callahan is the deep safety on that side of the field.

NZVvJO3.jpg

As the safety now, Callahan’s first instincts are to watch the QB and get back behind the coverage.

HPS5iiW.jpg

As Fuller’s receiver crosses his line of vision, Callahan evacuates his zone and begins a full sprint across the field to the opposite sideline across the 40 yard line. In the immediate term, this leaves a running back running free downfield trying to be covered by Leonard Floyd. If Rodgers sees the RB, that’s also an easy TD.

cQLMcLH.jpg

Aaron Rodgers hits Randall Cobb running in the direction of Callahan’s area, and Callahan is STILL running full sprint across the 40 yard line to the opposite sideline.

hyhYWnD.jpg

Only after Cobb takes his second step with the ball in his hands does Callahan realize what is happening and begin putting on the breaks.

FuJzsTE.jpg

The end result is two safeties converging on one side of the field, and a complete ghost town on the other side.

IaKPwoA.jpg

TL;DR

What is you doin, Bryce Callahan?

axwTVp.gif

msadows

Liked Posts:
What is you doin, Bryce Callahan?

axwTVp.gif

Video makes it seem pretty obvious. He reads Aaaron's eyes(wrong) and tries to bracket Kyle Fuller's man, assuming thats where the ball is going.

Plus, I'm also assuming he never noticed the runningback leaving the backfield, and thought that his side of the field was entirely vacated.

delbjork1937

BANNED
Liked Posts:
the script was a Rodgers comeback. when you make millions,you dont care about winning. He did exactly what he was supposed to do

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Allen Robinson runs a great route to get wide open deep, but Kush and Sims destroy the play. They have 8 blockers, but leave Sims 1 on 1 with an edge rusher. :obama:

09_TyH.gif

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Great coverage by Fuller on an island, offensive pass interference at the 15 yard line with the ball in the air...

BZsU5j.gif

Meh. Happens all the time. WRs know when to do it to avoid refs' eyes and if refs are looking, WRs know to do it while keeping elbow bent and that avoids the flag 99% of the time too. Part of the game.

Fuller did nothing wrong here imo. He covered it so that WR would have to get extra physical and QB would have to throw perfect ... and they did. Hats off to them and move on.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Also thanks Adipost. Great breakdowns. Football X's and O's >> football punditry imo.

In a perfect world, the screen time ratio of ESPN NFL Live type shows: ESPN NFL Matchup type shows would be reversed.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I"ve missed these threads. Thank you Adi. Great headsup play by Mack there, seeing the RB break free from the block. Initially i was screaming, "Why is he going into coverage!". Of course it didn't matter though due to the terrible play by the opposite end of the line, the pass rush lost containment and went all the way around Rodgers allowing him to get comfortable outside the hash. Even if the middle did get a good push, it doesn't matter when the entire end of the line gets taken away from the play, giving Him half a field to stand in and wait for the open WR.

Once Lovie gets freed up, Fangio needs to bring him in as a "turnover" coach.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Why does this seem to happen nearly everytime against AR?

To me it looks like the secondary is biting on his ability to look off the safety. Instead of staying with the assignment, they follow his eyes and we end up with 5 guys covering the wrong side of the field.

Even Floyd on that coverage of the RB, looks back inside and gets beat....

Also Mack, has his guy push back and cuts off his pass rush to drop into coverage with the RB giving Rogers time to shuffle away from the rest of the pass rush, but it appears that Floyd is supposed to have the RB.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Rodgers is the GOAT at looking off receivers to get them open. You'd think these guys would learn.....

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
looks like Jackson got away with illegal contact.

The whole point of a safety is not allowing any opposing player behind you. going for an interception negates the job. Its worse that callahan kept running across the field doubling a receiver after Rodgers threw the football.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Early in the 3rd quarter, Trubisky stares down Robinson and almost has it picked. I believe this is where Trubisky started getting gun shy...

fPXjM5.gif

Saw that as well. He still has an issue with dropping LBs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Allen Robinson runs a great route to get wide open deep, but Kush and Sims destroy the play. They have 8 blockers, but leave Sims 1 on 1 with an edge rusher. :obama:

09_TyH.gif

With more time in the O, Mitch may just throw a sky ball down the sideline early. I liked the pick because you got a guy that can do that falling away but if he chooses not to, he's just another QB. This one probably wasn't there anyway but I hope he develops that sort of swagger. Too worried about errors. Needs a bit of, dare I say it, Cutler. Just not too much, LOL.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Too worried about errors. Needs a bit of, dare I say it, Cutler. Just not too much, LOL.

Respectfully, you should have your dick ripped off for that comment.

A QB with 13 NFL games under his belt tries to protect the football with a lead and you knock him for not being aggressive enough..