Xs and Os article on Nagy's offense and how it fits Mitch

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Guys, please ignore this article.

I have been told in another thread that to run this offense you need a very expensive and slow slot guy and Big WRs on the outside that can block in Da Run Game.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1kxup2.jpg

Trestman’s offense averaged 28 points per game in year 1.

Then the locker room fell apart.

Problem was never the offense.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just makes me want to throttle Fox, well and the beer I've had.

Well to be fair the lack of speed at WR is on Pace. He acquires the players. And injuries and dumb ass penalties especially by Leno after Pace extended him made it tough to call a lot of deep passes.

Not everything can be laid at Fox's feet. Pace didn't provide the horses.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not trying to be a downer, but that's exactly what was said when Trestman was hired.

I think we are hoping the two main ingrediants, Nagy and Trubisky, are going to be better than Trestman and Cutler.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Chiefs offense is super unpredictable.

It start with the fact that they run a spread with 3 WRs on the field that all can get vertical. Throughout the game they send everyone vertical. It is not one guy on the outside that "takes the top off the defense" literally everyone does it through the course of the game.

They love to go vertical in the slot with Wilson and Kelce and then have Hill come underneath for massive YAC yards. They send Hill deep on the sideline and then run 2 routes underneath him.

But the key is that you do not know who is going deep. If you put a safety over Hill they will send Wilson out of the slot into the vacated space.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
People also forget that the offense had the least pre-snap penalties we have ever seen in a season during Trestman's first year. The players just got burned out on his approach to player management and coaching after never truly buying into it.

When you have vet leaders like that POS Briggs doing everything he can to undermine the coach, then yeah, it's no wonder it didn't work.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No, its simply as the title implies. Nagy had an impact on the deep passing game and Alex Smith's best statistical season. Then they post up Mitch's numbers for comparison. People like to just generically shit on Alex Smith because of his time in San Fran. If Trubisky plays anywhere near Alex Smith's production under Nagy then you have a top 10 passer. That would be ridiculous.

Last edited:

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, its simply as the title implies. Nagy had an impact on the deep passing game and Alex Smith's best statistical season. Then they post up Mitch's numbers for comparison. People like to just generically shit on Alex Smith because of his time in San Fran. If Trubisky plays anywhere near Alex Smith's production under Nagy then you have a top 10 passer. That would be ridiculous.

I swear ppl look at Alex Smith and think he had a bad year. If Trubisky puts up 10 years of Nagy Alex Smith numbers, it was worth trading up one spot

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I swear ppl look at Alex Smith and think he had a bad year. If Trubisky puts up 10 years of Nagy Alex Smith numbers, it was worth trading up one spot

You shitting me? If he puts up 10 years of Nagy Alex Smith numbers he's a Hall of Famer even without winning a SB. Its that level.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alex Smith has never had a strong arm, nor has he ever had any confidence in his arm. The throw where you need both arm strength and confidence is the one in between the linebacker and the safety. Knowing this, opposing teams could easily gameplan for Smith.

What Nagy has done is schemed completely around this deficiency. Even though teams knew what Alex Smith was incapable of, the offensive system still kept them guessing.

First of all, Nagy installed a ton of pre snap motions from everywhere. This was to confuse the defense and make it easier on Smith to read the defense. I mean, they would have Hunt lined up at WR, motion him back next to Smith in the shotgun, and then motion back to WR. They did a lot of jet sweep motions with Hill pre snap as well. The defense had to try to ignore all of this movement or they were toast.

Secondly, Nagy installed an offense of quick short passes or deep homerun shots, which eliminated the need to try to fit the ball into a window. And this is why they valued speed at WR so much more than anything. He’d have 3 burners all go deep to vacate the entire middle of the field for an easy pass to Kelce. Or he’d call a quick screen pass to Hill while everyone else went deep. And when the defense started cheating to stop these passes, Nagy would go straight for the jugular with deep passes over the entire secondary.

In the times where the play call didn’t work, Smith wouldn’t even attempt to force something else. He’d just put his head down and evacuate the pocket. He’s the prototypical system passer. Most of the credit should go to Nagy on this one.