You’re Going to LOVE Fields!

cafawip138

Liked Posts:
Ohio State fan here; I’m no professional evaluator, but I watched every game Fields played. I may be somewhat biased, but I’d like to think I’m pretty realistic in my evaluations of Ohio State players (for example, I thought that Dwayne Haskins would struggle in the NFL despite his performance at OSU). So I figured I’d stop by and let Bears fans know what kind of player they got. Spoiler alert: Fields is a generational talent who would’ve gone 1st overall in most drafts, and is a significantly better prospect than either Zach Wilson or Trey Lance. For his sake, I’m glad he ended up in a good organization that knows what it’s doing rather than that dumpster fire in New York.

First things first… Nearly every evaluation of Fields that I’ve read seriously undersells his running ability. Ohio State was extremely conservative having him run the ball during his career because they had major depth issues at quarterback and usually didn’t need him to run to win games, so they never really gave him a chance to cut loose and show what he could do as a runner — most of his runs were not designed runs, but rather attempts to salvage broken plays. I’ve seen comparisons to Deshaun Watson or Dak Prescott as a runner, which is laughable — I am not exaggerating when I say that he is a Kyler Murray/Lamar Jackson level runner. He’s nearly as fast as both of them and is quite shifty/elusive, but he’s also 5 inches taller than Murray and roughly 20lbs heavier than both Murray and Jackson, and he runs like it, breaking tackles and dragging defenders when he isn’t breaking ankles or outrunning them. If he’d played running back at college, he would’ve absolutely been drafted, and could conceivably have been a top three running back in this year‘s class based on his measurables alone. His running ability is MUCH better than what his numbers indicate, and if the Bears give him the opportunity to cut loose as a runner, I could easily see him rushing for 800+ yards per year as a pro.

As a passer, he’s got tremendous arm strength (not quite Mahomes/Allen level, but the best in this draft class) and excellent accuracy when given time to throw, and he’s fairly refined as a passer as well. However, he’s got a bit of a hitch in is throwing motion that causes occasional inaccuracy and a fairly slow release, so his arm strength doesn’t quite play up as much as it could. His mechanics improved noticeably between his sophomore and junior seasons, but when he was rushed or forced out of the pocket he would regress to his old habits, which caused occasional inaccuracy and wobbly passes, especially when throwing deep or on the run. But this is a correctable issue, and if he continues improving as he did between years two and three in college, he’ll be able to maximize his considerable raw arm talent. Most importantly, he has the mentality and approach of a pocket passer, not a “dual” threat quarterback that tucks and runs at the first sign of trouble. He’s also known to be extremely intelligent, a very good leader, a tireless worker, tough and gritty almost to a fault, and has zero character concerns.

In terms of negatives, I’d say his primary concern is durability/longevity, not because he’s frail, but because his play style causes him to take a beating. He often holds onto the ball too long and takes unnecessary sacks or hits as a runner fighting for extra yards when throwing the ball away or sliding would’ve been a better option — this is part of the reason why Ohio State had to be so conservative using him as a runner, though he improved his self-preservation as his career went on. But it’s possible that longevity concerns may prevent him from reaching his full potential as a dual threat quarterback in the NFL despite his physical talents. And of course, he played behind possibly the best offensive line in college football, and had arguably the second best receiving corps during both of his seasons, so although he was generally good at reading defenses, he often didn’t have to because he usually got tremendous protection and was often throwing to wide-open receivers. Though he’s got room to improve his ability to read defenses and handle blitzes/pressure, he’s better than advertised in these aspects. He only really struggled in two games duringhis college career — Indiana and Northwestern — and this was largely due to those teams using defensive gameplans that sold out trying to disrupt the passing game, in the hopes that Ohio State would be unwilling to rely Fields’ running ability to bolster an inconsistent/underperforming run game.

So, to summarize... If Justin fields continues to improve his throwing mechanics, stays healthy, and adjusts to the mental learning curve for NFL quarterbacks (which he should have no problem doing given his intelligence and work ethic), and the Bears construct an offense and supporting cast that plays to his strengths, he’ll win an MVP and make the Chicago a perennial Super Bowl contender. And even if he fails to correct some of his flaws as a player, he’ll still probably be a very good quarterback, and I would argue that his “floor” is actually higher than Trevor Lawrence’s. Lawrence is the better overall prospect IMO, but he and Fields are #1 and #1a.
For the life of me, I can’t understand why he dropped so much... it almost reminds me of what happened with DK Metcalf in 2019, who seemed like such a can’t miss prospect on paper that evaluators struggled to find flaws, and ended up fixating on the few minor flaws that they did find while ignoring his ridiculous strengths. But Bears fans are the beneficiaries of the Jets and 49ers GMs getting too cute with their picks and passing on a true generational talent. Getting Fields at #11 is the kind of steal that can change the entire course of a franchise. Enjoy, Bears fans!

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Thanks for the input, seriously. But I'd put the over/under at about 60% of us already starting to chisel a statue with his likeness in our baseball. No convincing needed.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
you know club dub about to be lit
yeah it is
Bengals Andy Dalton GIF - Bengals AndyDalton Dance GIFs

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Understandable, forgot to mention I’m a Bengals fan, so I guess I have somewhat lower standards ;)
yea I read that part too and was like "the bears don't really know what they're doing". lol But I guess it would look like they knew what they were doing if you're a Bengals fan.

So do you think Andy Dalton will do well for the Bears or not?

Bust

Liked Posts:
One thing I've noticed in his interviews, even when he was sitting with his family when his name was picked. Kid has a calm demeanor. Quiet confidence about him. He speaks like a leader.

Day 1 starter boys

Bust

Liked Posts:
Local reporters camped out at his house, lol

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Ohio State fan here; I’m no professional evaluator, but I watched every game Fields played. I may be somewhat biased, but I’d like to think I’m pretty realistic in my evaluations of Ohio State players (for example, I thought that Dwayne Haskins would struggle in the NFL despite his performance at OSU). So I figured I’d stop by and let Bears fans know what kind of player they got. Spoiler alert: Fields is a generational talent who would’ve gone 1st overall in most drafts, and is a significantly better prospect than either Zach Wilson or Trey Lance. For his sake, I’m glad he ended up in a good organization that knows what it’s doing rather than that dumpster fire in New York.

First things first… Nearly every evaluation of Fields that I’ve read seriously undersells his running ability. Ohio State was extremely conservative having him run the ball during his career because they had major depth issues at quarterback and usually didn’t need him to run to win games, so they never really gave him a chance to cut loose and show what he could do as a runner — most of his runs were not designed runs, but rather attempts to salvage broken plays. I’ve seen comparisons to Deshaun Watson or Dak Prescott as a runner, which is laughable — I am not exaggerating when I say that he is a Kyler Murray/Lamar Jackson level runner. He’s nearly as fast as both of them and is quite shifty/elusive, but he’s also 5 inches taller than Murray and roughly 20lbs heavier than both Murray and Jackson, and he runs like it, breaking tackles and dragging defenders when he isn’t breaking ankles or outrunning them. If he’d played running back at college, he would’ve absolutely been drafted, and could conceivably have been a top three running back in this year‘s class based on his measurables alone. His running ability is MUCH better than what his numbers indicate, and if the Bears give him the opportunity to cut loose as a runner, I could easily see him rushing for 800+ yards per year as a pro.

As a passer, he’s got tremendous arm strength (not quite Mahomes/Allen level, but the best in this draft class) and excellent accuracy when given time to throw, and he’s fairly refined as a passer as well. However, he’s got a bit of a hitch in is throwing motion that causes occasional inaccuracy and a fairly slow release, so his arm strength doesn’t quite play up as much as it could. His mechanics improved noticeably between his sophomore and junior seasons, but when he was rushed or forced out of the pocket he would regress to his old habits, which caused occasional inaccuracy and wobbly passes, especially when throwing deep or on the run. But this is a correctable issue, and if he continues improving as he did between years two and three in college, he’ll be able to maximize his considerable raw arm talent. Most importantly, he has the mentality and approach of a pocket passer, not a “dual” threat quarterback that tucks and runs at the first sign of trouble. He’s also known to be extremely intelligent, a very good leader, a tireless worker, tough and gritty almost to a fault, and has zero character concerns.

In terms of negatives, I’d say his primary concern is durability/longevity, not because he’s frail, but because his play style causes him to take a beating. He often holds onto the ball too long and takes unnecessary sacks or hits as a runner fighting for extra yards when throwing the ball away or sliding would’ve been a better option — this is part of the reason why Ohio State had to be so conservative using him as a runner, though he improved his self-preservation as his career went on. But it’s possible that longevity concerns may prevent him from reaching his full potential as a dual threat quarterback in the NFL despite his physical talents. And of course, he played behind possibly the best offensive line in college football, and had arguably the second best receiving corps during both of his seasons, so although he was generally good at reading defenses, he often didn’t have to because he usually got tremendous protection and was often throwing to wide-open receivers. Though he’s got room to improve his ability to read defenses and handle blitzes/pressure, he’s better than advertised in these aspects. He only really struggled in two games duringhis college career — Indiana and Northwestern — and this was largely due to those teams using defensive gameplans that sold out trying to disrupt the passing game, in the hopes that Ohio State would be unwilling to rely Fields’ running ability to bolster an inconsistent/underperforming run game.

So, to summarize... If Justin fields continues to improve his throwing mechanics, stays healthy, and adjusts to the mental learning curve for NFL quarterbacks (which he should have no problem doing given his intelligence and work ethic), and the Bears construct an offense and supporting cast that plays to his strengths, he’ll win an MVP and make the Chicago a perennial Super Bowl contender. And even if he fails to correct some of his flaws as a player, he’ll still probably be a very good quarterback, and I would argue that his “floor” is actually higher than Trevor Lawrence’s. Lawrence is the better overall prospect IMO, but he and Fields are #1 and #1a.
For the life of me, I can’t understand why he dropped so much... it almost reminds me of what happened with DK Metcalf in 2019, who seemed like such a can’t miss prospect on paper that evaluators struggled to find flaws, and ended up fixating on the few minor flaws that they did find while ignoring his ridiculous strengths. But Bears fans are the beneficiaries of the Jets and 49ers GMs getting too cute with their picks and passing on a true generational talent. Getting Fields at #11 is the kind of steal that can change the entire course of a franchise. Enjoy, Bears fans!

The commentary on his running, and running like a pro-level RB. That's not the first time I've heard that. I said it myself but hadn't put in the time that you obviously have as a buckeye fan. My FiL and one of my besties from college are life-long Buckeye fans and said the same thing, and said he's the best QB that they've seen play for tOSU.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
At least someone is mentioning the hitch in his throwing motion. It stands out to me and can’t believe no one else sees it. He doesn’t always do it but when he does it is a floater or a wobbler.

I think the Bears got good value with the pick but this guy is going to be exposed unless he changes some things.

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
He only really struggled in two games duringhis college career — Indiana and Northwestern — and this was largely due to those teams using defensive gameplans that sold out trying to disrupt the passing game, in the hopes that Ohio State would be unwilling to rely Fields’ running ability to bolster an inconsistent/underperforming run game.

Heard the Northwestern coach say that Fields hand was injured during the NW game... That led them to change their approach on Defense to focus on stopping the run b/c they knew Fields wasn't 100% able to throw the ball.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
At least someone is mentioning the hitch in his throwing motion. It stands out to me and can’t believe no one else sees it. He doesn’t always do it but when he does it is a floater or a wobbler.

I think the Bears got good value with the pick but this guy is going to be exposed unless he changes some things.

Thoroughbreds are unable to be exposed.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:

This is the reason Chris Simms has concerns about him and had him falling to the end of the first round in his mock. Simms thinks it is something hard to correct and could be a real concern. Something we should all be aware of.
Still looks like both his floor and ceiling should be high by all accounts.

cafawip138

Liked Posts:
Thanks for the input, seriously. But I'd put the over/under at about 60% of us already starting to chisel a statue with his likeness in our baseball. No convincing needed.
Well that’s good to hear, it drove me nuts how national sports media seemed determined to nitpick every little flaw in Fields game while ignoring his ludicrous strengths. Seriously, 6’3” 230lbs, runs a 4.4, has the strongest arm in the draft, and incredible production against top competition during his college career, and NFL.com’s comparison is Dak Prescott???

During the 2019 season, I was definitely skeptical about Fields ability to be a successful NFL quarterback because of his mechanical issues. But he did improve significantly his Junior year. On throws where he’s in rhythm and has a clean pocket, his mechanics looked pretty good and his release was noticeably quicker, he just fell back into bad habits when rushed. This makes me think he can continue to make strides as a pro until the improved mechanics are second nature even under pressure, especially since OSU had barely any practice time last year and basically forced Fields to self-quarantine when he wasn’t playing.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great writeup. Thanks OP. Excellent info there.

A littttttle homerism regarding him being a top 3 RB prospect, but I don't care. Very high praise & hopefully he does stay healthy. Nagy will throw a lot of RPOs at him and use his dual threat a lot. OL better take a giant leap with Jenkins barking at them to toughen up and get their assignments right!

cafawip138

Liked Posts:
So do you think Andy Dalton will do well for the Bears or not?
Andy Dalton is the sort of QB who’s good enough on a great team, but really gets exposed if he’s got a weak supporting cast and is asked to do too much. He’s never the weak link, but he won’t elevate a team the way a genuine QB1 can. Basically, he’s the perfect backup/placeholder quarterback. But I think Fields will be the starter by midseason; historically, running quarterbacks tend to be successful earlier in their NFL careers than pure pocket passers.

Last edited:

jbunch14

Liked Posts:

I appreciate your commentary on Dalton, but this sounds much like a jilted lover (Dalton). Don't know who will play the majority of snaps for the Bears this year, but if looked at objectively, Fields has talents that are rarely seen in one player. Hitch or no, the vast majority of his throws are a thing of beauty, and he will be very successful in the NFL.