You’re Going to LOVE Fields!

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
yea I read that part too and was like "the bears don't really know what they're doing". lol But I guess it would look like they knew what they were doing if you're a Bengals fan.

So do you think Andy Dalton will do well for the Bears or not?
Oh we straight up lucked into Fields but in our defense we helped the chiefs with their luck when they got mahomes

cafawip138

Liked Posts:
Heard the Northwestern coach say that Fields hand was injured during the NW game... That led them to change their approach on Defense to focus on stopping the run b/c they knew Fields wasn't 100% able to throw the ball.
He sprained his thumb in the second half of the game, but they were already giving him fits in the passing game before that. If I remember correctly, they also committed an extra defender to spy Fields as a runner, at least after the injury, but I can’t remember for sure. But whatever they did, it allowed Trey Sermon to rush for 331 ?

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
At least someone is mentioning the hitch in his throwing motion. It stands out to me and can’t believe no one else sees it. He doesn’t always do it but when he does it is a floater or a wobbler.

I think the Bears got good value with the pick but this guy is going to be exposed unless he changes some things.
go look at Lamar, Cam, Dak.....their throwing motions have way more concerns in them than Fields. i think it's like a great shooter in college and then NBA picks apart his shooting motion. if it's worked for him so far, don't mess with it. can do easy drills to improve it but i hope Bears don't try to completely change his throwing motion and mess him up mentally. he gets the ball out plenty fast and has the arm strength to make up for the fraction of a second longer it might take to release than quickest guy in league. Simms is an old fogie who loves pointing out every tiny issue in QBs acting like he is the QB expert of the world. also his running ability at OSU was barely used. i don't expect Bears will turn him into a triple option QB lol, but he will be encouraged to go pick up a first down himself more.

only thing that will get exposed are NFL defenses trying to figure out how to defend a guy with that kind of arm talent and can outrun LBs and run over DBs.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
@cafawip138

Whats the differences in Haskins and Fields?

And how did you know Haskins would struggle? Was it the work ethic?

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
@cafawip138

i'm interested in this too, but i'd guess it's cause Haskins was a strict drop back passer only, slow as molasses, and also had some attitude issues. 50 TDs was incredible for Haskins, but also 8 INTs. they threw the ball a TON that year at OSU. 533 attempts compared to Fields 354 in 2019. Haskins was more of a west coast offense type year like guys at Texas Tech (not named Mahomes) and Baylor.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thank you for your input. I'm not so sure he's got a stronger arm than Trevor Lawrence, but it was a good read.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
I’m a fan who never feels good about our draft picks. Not to be negative but just my gut for most of our early pics throughout the years. Many years and many GMs. This is the best I’ve felt in picks in ever AND one of them is a QB. The more I read the more I love the first 2 picks. I’ve been walking on cloud 9.

NorcalBear

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
At least someone is mentioning the hitch in his throwing motion. It stands out to me and can’t believe no one else sees it. He doesn’t always do it but when he does it is a floater or a wobbler.

I think the Bears got good value with the pick but this guy is going to be exposed unless he changes some things.
Speaking of wobblers. I watched the highlight film of Fields. And because highlight film is highlight film, I thought it would be interesting to go back and watch Trubisky's highlight film from college. Try and see if there was much disparity. It's interesting all of Trubisky's passes seemed like tight spirals at UNC.. yet his last year in Chicago.. holy cow... seemed like 80% of his passes were wobbly. I never understood why 4 years into the league his passes would be so wobbly..and STILL be struggling with accuracy that badly.

cafawip138

Liked Posts:
@cafawip138

I didn’t *know* that Haskins would bust in the NFL, but there were enough question marks for me that I was relieved at the time that the Bengals didn’t take him. As a redshirt freshman backup, Haskins showed some of the best pure arm talent I’ve ever seen in a college QB, albeit in a limited sample size, and good mobility as well. He looked like a potential future top 3 pick based on his raw talent. But in his redshirt sophomore season, his physical traits regressed. Arm talent was still near-elite, but not off the charts like in 2017, and he went from a mobile QB who could get yards on the ground and extend plays to a guy who ran like C-3PO. And while there weren’t any glaring red flags with his intangibles at the time, without going into too much detail, there were some reasons for concern about his leadership, competitiveness, and work ethic.

Given that 2018 was a weak QB class, I still thought Haskins had enough potential to justify a first round pick, but I wasn’t confident that he would become the kind of pro player most Ohio State fans thought he would be. Of course, nobody could’ve predicted that he would crash and burn so quickly and spectacularly. And I have to think that his failures played a part in Justin Fields’ draft stock tumbling. But even without the benefit of hindsight, Fields is a MUCH better prospect.

Haskins and Fields are only comparable prospects in terms of their arm talent coming out of college — Fields has a slightly stronger and more accurate arm, but Haskins had a quicker release, better throwing mechanics, and better pocket presence. So in terms of passing ability, they’re comparable as draft prospects, with maybe a slight edge to Haskins if you include his tape from 2017 (though Fields still has slightly more upside as a passer). But Haskins graded out as an “F” in terms of athleticism and a “C-“ for intangibles (“F” in hindsight), while Fields grades out as an “A+” in both respects.

In other words, Haskins’ only real selling point was his excellent arm talent; Fields has roughly the same level of arm talent coming out of college, and it’s arguably his weakest trait as a player. (And unlike Haskins, he actually improved his mechanics during his time at OSU, and should continue to improve as a pro). They may have been picked at similar draft slots, but Fields is on a completely different level, even without the benefit of hindsight.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Hitch or no, the vast majority of his throws are a thing of beauty, and he will be very successful in the NFL.

Id like to see of the list of talented qbs who could do just about everything on the field but failed because of a hitch in their throwing motion. Ill wait if anybody knows of even one. Hitch thing is a bunch of malarkey!!!

cafawip138

Liked Posts:
i'm interested in this too, but i'd guess it's cause Haskins was a strict drop back passer only, slow as molasses, and also had some attitude issues. 50 TDs was incredible for Haskins, but also 8 INTs. they threw the ball a TON that year at OSU. 533 attempts compared to Fields 354 in 2019. Haskins was more of a west coast offense type year like guys at Texas Tech (not named Mahomes) and Baylor.

You’re pretty much correct; A big part of Haskins’ ridiculous numbers was the fact that the running game that year was bad by Ohio State standards, in large part because Haskins was unwilling to run or take hits (he was a solid runner in 2017 when he was still fighting for the job). So his passing became the absolute core of the entire offense. The defense that year was also bad, so Ohio State was forced to play their first team offense into the fourth quarter most games. Justin Fields, on the other hand, only played in the second half a handful of times during 2019, and shared touches with JK Dobbins, who had one of the best seasons by running back in Ohio State history. So he was ridiculously efficient, but didn’t have the opportunity to rack up yards and touchdowns. In 2020 he played more per game, but only for 8 games, and he didn’t have the opportunity to pad his stats against weak competition because the Big Ten didn’t play non-conference games that year.

It’s really quite bizarre: Fields was such a good passer that they didn’t need him to run to win games, so he didn’t get to showcase his running ability. He was rated as the most accurate passer in the draft by pro football focus, he had the highest completion percentage in the NCAA when throwing past his second read, and gained the highest percentage of his passing yards before the catch among the top 5 QB prospects in the draft, but because his receivers were good, his performance as a passer seemed less impressive on the surface than it actually was. He was quite literally too good for his own good, and his excellent supporting cast at Ohio State actually ended up hurting his draft stock rather than inflating it.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im sure I will.

Still hate Ohio State, though.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Heard the Northwestern coach say that Fields hand was injured during the NW game... That led them to change their approach on Defense to focus on stopping the run b/c they knew Fields wasn't 100% able to throw the ball.
Umm, you do know that Trey Sermon ran for like 200+ yards in the second half? (I think Master Teague was hurt.) Given NU's generally strong defense, that's a pretty piss poor effort at stopping the run. I watched that game live (NU alum); didn't expect to win, just hoped we'd make a game of it. It was kinda close until Sermon got rolling, and NU had no answer.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Id like to see of the list of talented qbs who could do just about everything on the field but failed because of a hitch in their throwing motion. Ill wait if anybody knows of even one. Hitch thing is a bunch of malarkey!!!
It is difficult. This guy had a major hitch in his throwing motion and he was still successful.

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Umm, you do know that Trey Sermon ran for like 200+ yards in the second half? (I think Master Teague was hurt.) Given NU's generally strong defense, that's a pretty piss poor effort at stopping the run. I watched that game live (NU alum); didn't expect to win, just hoped we'd make a game of it. It was kinda close until Sermon got rolling, and NU had no answer.

Just repeating what Fitz said... It was on the Hoge and Jahns podcast a few weeks back.

He was speaking more to why he thought Fields struggled, than how NW actually performed against the run.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
This is the reason Chris Simms has concerns about him and had him falling to the end of the first round in his mock. Simms thinks it is something hard to correct and could be a real concern. Something we should all be aware of.
Still looks like both his floor and ceiling should be high by all accounts.
kerry collins had a hitch and he did pretty well in the league

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I appreciate your commentary on Dalton, but this sounds much like a jilted lover (Dalton). Don't know who will play the majority of snaps for the Bears this year, but if looked at objectively, Fields has talents that are rarely seen in one player. Hitch or no, the vast majority of his throws are a thing of beauty, and he will be very successful in the NFL.
My son is a huge Dallas fan and his take on Andy Dalton was nearly identical to cafawip138.