Liked Posts:
What would be your dream trade scenario or scenarios if you could make it work,

Trade 1

Marlins Trade

OF Giancarlo Stanton

Cubs Trade

SS Starlin Castro
OF Matt Szczur or Brett Jackson
1B Dan Vogelbach, just don't see how he beats out Rizzo in the next 5 years.
Add another prospect not named Almora, Soler, Baez, Bryant.

At 23 years old and with his build and power Stanton could be a 10 year #3 hitter for the Cubs who can afford to pay him as a building block. Castro is talented and fairly cheap and may need a change if scenery and a move to 3rd base for the Marlins.

Trade 2

Rangers Trade

3B Mike Olt
RHP Ramon Mendez

Cubs Trade

RHP Matt Garza
RHP Kevin Gregg

The Cubs get an almost everyday 3rd basemen that they can probably get far more playing time for than the Rangers and a power arm and the Rangers get a #2 or #3 starter and insurance against Yu Darvish being on the DL for a while.

Future Line Up

C: Wellington Castillo
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Junior Lake/Darwin Barney
SS: Javier Baez
3B: Mike Olt/Kris Bryant
RF: Jorge Soler
CF: Giancarlo Stanton
LF: Kris Bryant/Albert Almora

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
If the Rangers are asking for Garza, Theo should be asking for Profar to start. Nothing less.

CHAMPS!!!

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Trade 1

Marlins Trade

OF Giancarlo Stanton

Cubs Trade

SS Starlin Castro

At 23 years old and with his build and power Stanton could be a 10 year #3 hitter for the Cubs who can afford to pay him as a building block. Castro is talented and fairly cheap and may need a change if scenery and a move to 3rd base for the Marlins.

Trade 2

Rangers Trade

3B Mike Olt
RHP Ramon Mendez

Cubs Trade

RHP Matt Garza
RHP Kevin Gregg

The Cubs get an almost everyday 3rd basemen that they can probably get far more playing time for than the Rangers and a power arm and the Rangers get a #2 or #3 starter and insurance against Yu Darvish being on the DL for a while.

Future Line Up

I don't want any part of Mike Olt. The Rangers missed the boat getting top tier value for him back at last year's trade deadline. He's hitting .201 in AAA and still hasn't seemed to overcome whatever vision issues plagued him towards the end of last season. Given his age (24) and the fact that we just drafted Bryant, adding him wouldn't be a great value if we gave up Garza and got him in return. Garza's value is far too high right now to settle for Olt as a headlining piece. If we gave up Gregg and Garza to Texas, I'd insist that their top pitcher, lefty Martin Perez, was to be included.

I like the idea of the first trade, but there's really no "wow" piece that would blow Florida's doors off. They're hands-down the cheapest team in baseball, and if they were worried about unloading Ricky Nolasco's salary, I couldn't see them adding Castro's salary for the long haul. Any conversation involving Stanton would almost certainly have to involve two of our trio of Soler, Almora or Baez. They'd probably also want us to throw in a pitcher, Pierce Johnson or Dillon Maples make the most sense, and potentially another filler guy. Adding a guy like Stanton would cost a lot, and potentially damage all the work re-creating a solid farm system the Cubs have concentrated on over the last 18 months.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:

Trade 1

Marlins Trade

OF Giancarlo Stanton

Cubs Trade

SS Starlin Castro

Trade 2

Rangers Trade

3B Mike Olt
RHP Ramon Mendez

Cubs Trade

RHP Matt Garza
RHP Kevin Gregg

Future Line Up

Get off the Olt high horse. He reached his high point in the minors last year and the Rangers messed up by not trading him. He is a low average, decent power. No thanks

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
For me, any current dream trade would involve the Cubs unloading Matt Garza. He's a bonafide #2 in a good major league rotation when healthy. My biggest concern with the Cubs using him as a building block is that he's never really had an elite stretch since he's been with us. Sure, he's had some very nice starts, but never a dominant string of games that made me say, "Damn, if we trade this guy, I'd lose sleep over it." Again, if the Cubs didn't trade him and held onto him, I'd be fine with them offering him money similar to what was given to Anibal Sanchez this offseason (5 years @ $88MM). Anything more than that, and I'd consider that ace money, which Garza isn't. By comparison, Jered Weaver got 5 years @ $85MM and I think he's a better pitcher than Garza.

Back to the trade -- I'd love to get involved in talks with a contending club that has a top-heavy farm system, meaning guys that are close to the majors. I've liked what the Cubs have done acquiring assets, but it's time for them to start going after guys that can help them at the major league level within the next 18 months. This trade is the one I would absolutely kill for the Cubs to tackle.

Trade with Detroit Tigers

Detroit Tigers acquire
SP Matt Garza
LF Alfonso Soriano

Chicago Cubs acquire
LF Nick Castellanos
SP Rick Porcello
SP Jake Thompson
RP Joe Rogers​

This is one trade that I feel can help both teams immediately and in the future. For the Tigers, they replace the struggling Porcello with Garza, a guy who's pitched in not only the AL East, but in multiple post-season races. He'd be a solid #3 for them to toss in a rotation of Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez and Fister -- that's arguably the best rotation in baseball. The other glaring need in Detroit's lineup is left field, where their platoon of Andy Dirks, Matt Tuiasosopo, and Don Kelly have put up poor production given that the rest of Detroit's lineup leads the Majors in batting average, is second in on-base percentage and runs scored and is third in slugging.

Enter Alfonso Soriano -- he put up 30 homers and 100RBIs in a lineup with zero protection. He'd be heading into a lineup with the greatest hitter alive (Cabrera), and 5 other regulars hitting over .285. You think he'll have a chance to continue producing at a high level? With the Tigers starting to separate themselves from Cleveland and the rest of the AL Central, adding Garza and Soriano would give them the best chance to represent the AL again in the World Series.

For the Cubs, they would almost certainly have cemented their outfield of the future -- Nick Castellanos would patrol left, Albert Almora in center and Jorge Soler in right. Castellanos, a relocated third baseman, is hitting a solid .286 this year for the Toldeo Mudhens, coupled with 11 homers, 47 RBIs, 57 runs scored, 28 doubles and an eye-popping 44 walks compared to just 64 strikeouts. Castellanos has showcased great patience, gap power and an ability to put the ball in play. He's ready to help a major league club right now. If the Cubs chose, they could have him take some more hacks in AAA and call him up closer to September in order to preserve his arbitration clock. The big knock on him coming out of the draft was his patience -- most guys figured he'd be a high-strikeout guy with a chance to rip 25 homers and 35 doubles fairly regularly. Over the last two years, he's shown drastic improvement with his patience, evident by his high walk totals and moderate strikeouts for a 21-year-old.

Porcello would be able to slide into the rotation behind Shark and Wood. He's struggled keeping the ball down this year, but his WHIP is still a respectable 1.25 because he doesn't issue many free passes. He's not a free agent until 2016, so the Cubs would have time to assess what mechanical hitches he has in his swing and hope to fix him. If that's the case, they could have a future #3 guy.

Jake Thompson and Joe Rogers are both farther away from the majors, but could not only be valuable assets in future trades for premium talent, but guys who could impact the Cubs pitching staff within 3 years. Thompson was the Tigers' second rounder last year with a plus-sinker, a fastball that routinely touches 95 and a great build for a starter (6'4'' 235). Getting repetition and a solid third pitch are obviously his two biggest areas of need, but coming out of high school, many scouts felt like he had the stuff to be a future #2. Rogers projects more as a classic 7th and 8th inning guy, but he currently possess three pitches, two of them above average (a very underrated curveball and fastball with nice movement). The Tigers are currently weighing the option to flip him to a starter as he approaches AA, but most scouting reports I've read on him feel like he'd be on the fast track to the majors if he stayed in the bullpen.

Here are some nice scouting reports on Castellanos, Thompson and Rogers

Last edited:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The reason I could see teh Tigers balking at that deal is that unless they intend to use Soriano at nothing but a DH it makes their already awful defense even worse.

Well thought out, but I see that as a sticking point.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The reason I could see teh Tigers balking at that deal is that unless they intend to use Soriano at nothing but a DH it makes their already awful defense even worse.

Well thought out, but I see that as a sticking point.

I honestly felt like the real issue would end up being the resignability of Garza. The Tigers have shown they aren't afraid to hand out big paychecks (see Verlander, Cabrera, Fielder, etc.), but I'd be confident if Garza was involved in a deep playoff run, he'd be willing to stay. I agree there could be a potential fit issue with Soriano at DH, mainly because most of that time goes to Victor Martinez, who's a nice switch hitting option. However, he's been pretty crummy this year, and Soriano could be a nice spell for him.

The other attractive aspect that I forgot to mention in this deal is that both Soriano and Martinez's deals expire after the 2014 season, so that would be a nice chunk of change coming off the books that the Tigers could end up using to find a replacement left fielder and DH. They do still have prospect Avisail Garcia waiting in the wings as a future left fielder, which is one reason why I think Detroit wouldn't be terribly apprehensive to deal Castellanos. Garcia also has nice defensive upside, as well. They could even end up moving Fielder to DH in '14 and sign a first baseman. Honestly, they have a fairly flexible roster, given how much payroll they have tied up.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I honestly felt like the real issue would end up being the resignability of Garza. The Tigers have shown they aren't afraid to hand out big paychecks (see Verlander, Cabrera, Fielder, etc.), but I'd be confident if Garza was involved in a deep playoff run, he'd be willing to stay. I agree there could be a potential fit issue with Soriano at DH, mainly because most of that time goes to Victor Martinez, who's a nice switch hitting option. However, he's been pretty crummy this year, and Soriano could be a nice spell for him.

The other attractive aspect that I forgot to mention in this deal is that both Soriano and Martinez's deals expire after the 2014 season, so that would be a nice chunk of change coming off the books that the Tigers could end up using to find a replacement left fielder and DH. They do still have prospect Avisail Garcia waiting in the wings as a future left fielder, which is one reason why I think Detroit wouldn't be terribly apprehensive to deal Castellanos. Garcia also has nice defensive upside, as well. They could even end up moving Fielder to DH in '14 and sign a first baseman. Honestly, they have a fairly flexible roster, given how much payroll they have tied up.

Like I said really well thought out and I could easily see the Tigers doing it. Just not sure how they'd view weakening their defense to have a guy like Soriano who is prone to really bad stretches at bat now parading around in the OF when he's rotating with VMart.

I'd still rather do Trout for Barney

:smug:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Like I said really well thought out and I could easily see the Tigers doing it. Just not sure how they'd view weakening their defense to have a guy like Soriano who is prone to really bad stretches at bat now parading around in the OF when he's rotating with VMart.

I'd still rather do Trout for Barney

:smug:

Left field's been fairly weak defensively for them, anyway. Austin Jackson and Torii Hunter are both well above-average defensively, so maybe they wouldn't mind having a cardboard cutout patrolling left field? :dunno:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Oh yeah, and if Mike Trout ever donned a Cubs uniform, I'd go into cardiac arrest. If the Angels said he was available, I'd offer Soler, Baez and Almora without batting an eyelash.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This thread also makes me think about that potential Madison Bumgarner for Starlin Castro thread from a few years ago. Dude's WHIP is a big ol' greasy set of tits right now (0.96). Nice ERA, too. It's a shame he hasn't gotten tons of run support. He's been their best starter by a huge margin so far this year. Maybe San Francisco could potentially be a club in the playoff hunt looking for a guy like Garza?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This thread also makes me think about that potential Madison Bumgarner for Starlin Castro thread from a few years ago. Dude's WHIP is a big ol' greasy set of tits right now (0.96). Nice ERA, too. It's a shame he hasn't gotten tons of run support. He's been their best starter by a huge margin so far this year. Maybe San Francisco could potentially be a club in the playoff hunt looking for a guy like Garza?

Isn't Bummy the one on their staff that sucks away from SanFran?

Nvm.

It's not him, and if ti was his peripherals evened out away from home.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Isn't Bummy the one on their staff that sucks away from SanFran?

Nvm.

It's not him, and if ti was his peripherals evened out away from home.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=bumgama01&year=Career&t=p#hmvis_extra::none

He's actually almost dead-nuts even between home and away. Obviously gives up a few more long balls away from home, but that's to be expected. In hindsight, that probably would've been an awesome trade for the Cubs. Oh well, them's the breaks.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Marlins Trade

OF Giancarlo Stanton

Cubs Trade

SS Starlin Castro

If the cubs were to try and trade for Stanton, they can go ahead and add soler as part of that package.. Stanton (23 ) would take over RF, so Soler who a RFer would be blocked anyways.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Any trade the Cubs pull off with Texas should include Joey Gallo. He K's a ton, but if he ever gets that aspect of his game under control you are looking at the next McGwire.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Dream trade scenario?
Acquiring cost controlled, value, stop gap flippers till the first wave of Theos draftees are ready to produce. It's pretty simple.