Your Dream Trade Scenario

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
If the cubs were to try and trade for Stanton, they can go ahead and add soler as part of that package.. Stanton (23 ) would take over RF, so Soler who a RFer would be blocked anyways.

He could move to LF. That trade would never happen though, but if it were as described in his proposed deal I would take it everyday of the week. Stanton would be a blast to watch at Wrigley.

patg006

Liked Posts:
What would be your dream trade scenario or scenarios if you could make it work,

Trade the stupid and delusional cubs fans for fans with some baseball knowledge......and beer.

Cant forget the beer....

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Anything to get Stanton. That would be so sick if he became a Cub...

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs trade Soriano to Yankes for Manny Banuelos? would need to be more added on both ends, but... always had a thing for Banuelos, he's not pitching right now I don't believe, but from what I saw of him before TJS he was pretty damn good. Maybe the Yanks give him away for less now? Just a thought.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ummm the whole Cardinals franchise for the the whole Cubs franchise!!!!

patg006

Liked Posts:
What would be your dream trade scenario or scenarios if you could make it work,

Trade 1

Marlins Trade

OF Giancarlo Stanton

Cubs Trade

SS Starlin Castro
OF Matt Szczur or Brett Jackson
1B Dan Vogelbach, just don't see how he beats out Rizzo in the next 5 years.
Add another prospect not named Almora, Soler, Baez, Bryant.

At 23 years old and with his build and power Stanton could be a 10 year #3 hitter for the Cubs who can afford to pay him as a building block. Castro is talented and fairly cheap and may need a change if scenery and a move to 3rd base for the Marlins.

Normally I wouldnt touch these because its just speculation and we can play 'what if' seemingly forever--but after rereading these as I sit at my office desk bored as shit and procrastinating schoolwork...no way would this happen.

If the Marlins do ship Stanton, it wont be anytime soon. Dude makes 537K this year and isnt a FA until 2017 season is done. Marlins hold all the cards and control. So many teams could offer better, and Miami can sit back and do nothing as Stanton will come cheap next couple years. They may consider Arb 3 or 4 trade as he will probably hit double digit millions by then--but the media consensus of 'well he's just going to rot in Miami!' means nothing. Stanton would command any teams top 2 prospects plus another top 5 to get Miami's attention. Sorry--Starlin Castro and Danny Vogelbach along with scrub OFs who look like AAAA players wont get one of the best young hitters in the game.

Cubs Get:
Mike Trout

Angels Get:
Darwin Barney

Seems legit. Drink the Angel's gm under the table and you got a shot.....

Trade with Detroit Tigers

Detroit Tigers acquire
SP Matt Garza
LF Alfonso Soriano

Chicago Cubs acquire
LF Nick Castellanos
SP Rick Porcello
SP Jake Thompson
RP Joe Rogers

Wont happen, could have last year probably. Detroit wont give up Castellanos for a 2 month rental and Soriano. They seem adamant now about keeping Nick. They wouldnt touch both without the cubs chipping in cash either.....so those three minus Nick is something they'd consider.

But after criticizing all of these masterpieces, I'm sure people will want one from me....

Shark and Jorge Soler for Madison Bumgarner and Kyle Crick

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs trade Soriano to Yankes for Manny Banuelos? would need to be more added on both ends, but... always had a thing for Banuelos, he's not pitching right now I don't believe, but from what I saw of him before TJS he was pretty damn good. Maybe the Yanks give him away for less now? Just a thought.

Pass. He stuggled anyways.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
No player is untouchable, but I'll be shocked if Stanton goes. (I do know it's the marlins, but still).

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Wont happen, could have last year probably. Detroit wont give up Castellanos for a 2 month rental and Soriano. They seem adamant now about keeping Nick. They wouldnt touch both without the cubs chipping in cash either.....so those three minus Nick is something they'd consider.

Why wouldn't the Tigers consider dealing Castellanos? 5 of their top 10 prospects are outfielders. The Tigers felt highly enough about Avisail Garcia to call him up before Castellanos, I'd assume that he isn't untouchable. Besides, the Cubs and Tigers engaged in trade talks last year centered around Garza and Castellanos, and the Cubs were the ones who balked. I'd assume that wouldn't be the case this year. Castellanos is ready to play in the majors.

Also, why are you assuming that Garza would be a rental? In my post, I named almost a half-dozen players that the Tigers have given sizable extensions to. On top of that, the Tigers have shown in the past they're willing to build on their strengths (starting pitching, power hitting) and ignore weaknesses (overall team defense, closer). I'd be fairly confident that the Tigers would be able to agree with Garza on an extension. Plus, they have another year of arbitration with Max Scherzer, so his sizable raise won't come until 2015.

Plus, the Tigers could view Garza as a replacement to Scherzer going forward, because I'd assume he'll be getting paid the higher salary between the two. They could end up shopping Scherzer this offseason or during next year in order to recoop some of the prospects lost in any trade involving landing another arm. Anyone should assume that a trade involving Soriano would have the Cubs paying a substantial portion of his salary. That isn't even a concern on my end. My biggest one, for the Tigers, would be them giving up an additional two pitching prospects, given that they don't have tons of high ceiling guys. Assuming how much the Cubs are willing to pay on Soriano's end, that could push them over the edge.

Last edited:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Cubs acquire Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Giancarlo Stanton, David Wright, Robinson Cano, Yadier Molina, and Matt Harvey and the Marlins competitive balance pick for international slot money! :yeah:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Cubs acquire Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Giancarlo Stanton, David Wright, Robinson Cano, Yadier Molina, and Matt Harvey and the Marlins competitive balance pick for international slot money! :yeah:

Theo and Ricketts say no :cubstroll:

patg006

Liked Posts:
Why wouldn't the Tigers consider dealing Castellanos? 5 of their top 10 prospects are outfielders. The Tigers felt highly enough about Avisail Garcia to call him up before Castellanos, I'd assume that he isn't untouchable. Besides, the Cubs and Tigers engaged in trade talks last year centered around Garza and Castellanos, and the Cubs were the ones who balked. I'd assume that wouldn't be the case this year. Castellanos is ready to play in the majors.

Also, why are you assuming that Garza would be a rental? In my post, I named almost a half-dozen players that the Tigers have given sizable extensions to. On top of that, the Tigers have shown in the past they're willing to build on their strengths (starting pitching, power hitting) and ignore weaknesses (overall team defense, closer). I'd be fairly confident that the Tigers would be able to agree with Garza on an extension. Plus, they have another year of arbitration with Max Scherzer, so his sizable raise won't come until 2015. Plus, the Tigers could view Garza as a replacement to Scherzer going forward, because I'd assume he'll be getting paid the higher salary between the two. They could end up shopping Scherzer this offseason or during next year in order to recoop some of the prospects lost in any trade involving landing another arm. Anyone should assume that a trade involving Soriano would have the Cubs paying a substantial portion of his salary. That isn't even a concern on my end. My biggest one, for the Tigers, would be them giving up an additional two pitching prospects, given that they don't have tons of high ceiling guys. Assuming how much the Cubs are willing to pay on Soriano's end, that could push them over the edge.

Castellanos is 21 and doesnt need to be up. He isnt necessary to the Tigers playoff runs. Just because he's ready to play in the majors doesnt mean the Tigers want to move him.....I think its unlikely they move him unless its for a solid, controlled starter like a Jeremy Hellickson.

Last year Garza had significantly more value with an extra year being the kicker in a deal that made teams want to give up a prospect.

Never saying never, Garza of course could sign and not be a rental, but he can also easily test the market.

The deal wouldnt work. Many teams are stonewalling the cubs right now because Garza's asking price is too high (as it should be.) Will any teams break? Or will teams settle for guys like Jon Danks? Interesting to find out.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Castellanos is 21 and doesnt need to be up. He isnt necessary to the Tigers playoff runs. Just because he's ready to play in the majors doesnt mean the Tigers want to move him.....I think its unlikely they move him unless its for a solid, controlled starter like a Jeremy Hellickson.

Last year Garza had significantly more value with an extra year being the kicker in a deal that made teams want to give up a prospect.

Never saying never, Garza of course could sign and not be a rental, but he can also easily test the market.

The deal wouldnt work. Many teams are stonewalling the cubs right now because Garza's asking price is too high (as it should be.) Will any teams break? Or will teams settle for guys like Jon Danks? Interesting to find out.

When the only real alternatives are Yovani Gallardo and Bud Norris, someone will get desperate closer to the deadline.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

What do you mean he doesn't need to be up? Left field is the weakest position for the Tigers . Like I said, Garcia came up earlier and isn't as refined offensively as Castellanos is. If your theory of the Tigers wanting a controllable starter would pan out, what if the Cubs replaced Garza in that deal with Samardzjia? To be honest, I wouldn't mind that, either. That way, the Cubs could acquire some prospects and still have an opportunity to sign Garza long-term or get the compensatory pick for him. I'd be a fan of either scenario. Like I said, I've never been opposed to the Cubs extending Garza. I personally feel like he could potentially be more valuable if the Cubs were able to land multiple controllable pitchers for him (or Samardzjia, for that matter).

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
When the only real alternatives are Yovani Gallardo and Bud Norris, someone will get desperate closer to the deadline.

Agreed, which is why I think everyone needs to cool off thinking that Garza will get traded before the deadline. I think the Cubs will be willing to hold off another start or two, in hopes that a team will suffer a pitching injury or really look to lock down a competitive spot during the stretch, especially if this helps them drive up the asking price.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Agreed, which is why I think everyone needs to cool off thinking that Garza will get traded before the deadline. I think the Cubs will be willing to hold off another start or two, in hopes that a team will suffer a pitching injury or really look to lock down a competitive spot during the stretch, especially if this helps them drive up the asking price.

Rangers with Darvish.....

patg006

Liked Posts:
What do you mean he doesn't need to be up? Left field is the weakest position for the Tigers . Like I said, Garcia came up earlier and isn't as refined offensively as Castellanos is. If your theory of the Tigers wanting a controllable starter would pan out, what if the Cubs replaced Garza in that deal with Samardzjia? To be honest, I wouldn't mind that, either. That way, the Cubs could acquire some prospects and still have an opportunity to sign Garza long-term or get the compensatory pick for him. I'd be a fan of either scenario. Like I said, I've never been opposed to the Cubs extending Garza. I personally feel like he could potentially be more valuable if the Cubs were able to land multiple controllable pitchers for him (or Samardzjia, for that matter).

He doesnt need to be up, hes not ready.

At the beginning of the year, I recall numerous articles saying the Tigers dont want to move Cassy. Now many speculative pieces about 'trading him for the right piece.'

If the tigers want to go all out now, Cassy for Garza works to them. But for hitters in their farm besides Cassy; the next 'best 2' according to mlb.com are in A and AA. Neither hitting the ball well. I think they aim to keep him.

I wouldnt put Shark in that deal. Shark would cost Skaggs/Bradley type prospects. And I liked my Shark and Soler (never was a fan of him, but he has promise) for Madison Bumgarner and Crick (best SP in Giants farm.) I think Bumgarner is a top of the rotation low ace like CJ Wilson, but he's blocked by Matt Cain.

Giants have all pitching, no hitting in the farm. Replace Bumgarner with Shark and Soler for the top pitcher, a win for both sides.

Though the fairy tale game is getting old.....

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Get off the Olt high horse. He reached his high point in the minors last year and the Rangers messed up by not trading him. He is a low average, decent power. No thanks

right. because a 24 year old cant turn it around. sweet logic.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Haven't you heard? Castro's done, and he's 23.

he isnt done. just overrated my chicago media and fans. if there is an unwarranted hype do to the 200 hits a year shit.,,,you rob a team if you can get the chance,