Your Expectations for Trubisky this season....

napo55

Liked Posts:
Those are just adjectives. How do you have a lengthy discussion about being "clutch"? Hard data works better. Even being a "winner" is judged by the number of wins.
Even if their stats were similar at times, Joe Montana was a winner.
Those are just adjectives. How do you have a lengthy discussion about being "clutch"? Hard data works better. Even being a "winner" is judged by the number of wins.

Even if their stats could be compared in some years, most people know Joe Montana and Johnny Unitas were winners. Jay Cutler was a loser. Most folks can see that without an exhaustive numbers analysis.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You don't draft a QB 2nd with the expectation of him being just average. Draft position is definitely a factor when it comes to expectations. A 6th round QB has lower expectations than the 2nd player taken in the draft.

At the end of the day if he is middle of the pack as a QB then he ultimately is not a franchise QB as that is just average. I would think the point in trading up and drafting him was for him to be a franchise QB.

Although I do agree that it isn't all about stats. He doesn't necessarily need to have stats of a top 10 QB if ultimately it is clear he is clutch or a winner. Think early Russel Wilson or even Tom Brady. Those guys were seen more as game managers and it took a while for people to really realize they had the ability to be so much more. So there is an element of looking the part. Can Trubs give us the impression he is the franchise even if his numbers are not top 5 or 10? That is the open question.

Think early Russel Wilson or even Tom Brady. Those guys were seen more as game managers and it took a while for people to really realize they had the ability to be so much more.

From what I saw....Brady & Wilson were always Qb's who perform at a high-level when called upon.

My take on a "game manager"........is a Qb who (if at all possible) you don't want in a position to have too win a game for ya'. Alex Smith use to be more of "game manager". Chad Pennington was a "game manager". I could site others.

Wilson is the only Qb to have either 90 or 100+ rating in his first 3yrs. ( I'll look it up).

But as a Qb, Wilson was hardly a "game manager". Same goes for Brady.

----

As for Trubs, the only stat I want from him are wins and a playoff victory.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thanked your post but as for the last bit, there's some vice/versa to it as well.
Sure there was some of that but it almost seemed a media obsession to somehow write off Trubisky’s good performances.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
run and shoot said:

From what I saw....Brady & Wilson were always Qb's who perform at a high-level when called upon.

That woulds explain why they lasted to the 6th round and the 3rd round respectively.

cutler was drafted in the 1st round. Not sure what "game manager" has to do with draft
position. Not sure what playing at a "high level" in the NFL has to do with
draft position.
-----

Oh....don't worry, your sarcasm didn't go unnoticed.?

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
Provided he plays all 16 games:

I expect him to have 30+ TDs and 4000+ yards passing. 66% passing (a little less than last year).

I'll say 34 TD's and 13 INT's, 4,200 yards passing, 480 yards rushing.

More experience, better all-around offensive talent with more consistency. I would like to see him land in the top 12 in terms of QB rating. Time for him to make the jump. Last year was the trial run, end of demo.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Cutler wasn't durable and didn't play for any one team for near that long. I was describing Eli Manning who is 116-114 in 15 seasons with NYG. He has missed 1 start since taking over as starter in 2005 and has 2 SB rings but only boasts a career 84.1 passer rating (42nd among QB's with over 32 starts since he was drafted). Joe Flacco would be very similar.

If MT puts up just average stats but leads the team to 1 or 2 SB wins, would he have been a Qb worthy of the 2nd overall?A franchise QB?

Eli is perhaps the most overrated QB of this generation. He was terrible for most of the 1st SB and tried to throw the game away a few times. Forgot who it was on NE that pulled a Fuller and dropped a sure Int on the last drive.

So I personally would not call him a franchise QB. I would put him in the Flacco category of average QBs who are thought of more highly due to SBs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
His most impressive games of the season were week 17 and the playoff game.

Yards and TDs are fine, but that is more a function of the offense then stand out QB play.

I also think his accuracy was vastly improved later in the season. GB2 and SF were some of his most accurate games of the season. In fact the only garbage game he had after his injury was St Louis.

Most of this late season production is made even more impressive by the fact that he had a separated throwing shoulder.

Lol, not at all. Trubs was terrible the first half, ok in the 3rd quarter and lights out in the 4th. Hardly his most immpressive as that should go to a game he actually showed more consistency for the entire game.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

My take on a "game manager"........is a Qb who (if at all possible) you don't want in a position to have too win a game for ya'. Alex Smith use to be more of "game manager". Chad Pennington was a "game manager". I could site others.

Wilson is the only Qb to have either 90 or 100+ rating in his first 3yrs. ( I'll look it up).

----

As for Trubs, the only stat I want from him are wins and a playoff victory.

The Pats and Seahawks won on D early. Brady and Wilson were not airing it out. Ball Control and try to win it late if D hasn't buried them.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sure there was some of that but it almost seemed a media obsession to somehow write off Trubisky’s good performances.
I think that's some hedging so if he doesn't arrive they can spin it to look like the smartest guy in the room. They also won't actually dump on him so they can say they knew it was only growing pains if he eventually excels.

I can agree that there tends to be too much focus on a missed throw or read when he has a good game. Brady and Wilson do that as well. It comes from other games when he has more than normal errors and causes that somewhat jaundiced eye. He also has value added in other things he does that often isn't fully realized in their equations but there's no question he'll justifiably need more positive consistency for that to go away.

Last edited:

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If Trubisky can’t get 30 TDs and 4,000 yards in this Nagy-led offense with these weapons, I’ll seriously question whether he’s topped out.

But I suspect he’ll continue to make steady progress, and I think he will get there.

I’m also hoping for a 2+-1 TD to INT ratio, and for him to start 16 games.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not exactly sure where you are getting that from, just pointing out that you are posting with the lucidity and demeanor of a menstruating teenager with roid rage, high on PCP, 5 redbulls deep.

Says the guy following me around like a lost puppy making sure I see your opinions...don't you have anything better to do?

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
One thing that needs to continue to be emphasized here for fan expectations is that QB growth is not this linear, steady process

Trubisky could look stagnate in terms of his growth or even take a step back and still end up becoming a franchise QB the next year.

Especially from a pure numbers perspective because all kinds of crazy things can happen.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One thing that needs to continue to be emphasized here for fan expectations is that QB growth is not this linear, steady process

Trubisky could look stagnate in terms of his growth or even take a step back and still end up becoming a franchise QB the next year.

Especially from a pure numbers perspective because all kinds of crazy things can happen.

Not quite what I thought you were going to say but yeah its not linear. Trubisky could overall improve on the season yet still regress in a specific facet. Like lets say he becomes better at reading defenses and finding open receivers yet his footwork regresses. Things like that.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
remydat said:

Think early Russel Wilson or even Tom Brady. Those guys were seen more as game managers and it took a while for people to really realize they had the ability to be so much more.

run and shoot said:

The Pats and Seahawks won on D early. Brady and Wilson were not airing it out. Ball Control and try to win it late if D hasn't buried them.

I was addressing the "game manager" contention. My point was..."Brady & Wilson were always Qb's who performed at a high-level when called upon."
IMO, regardless what the "D" did, Brady & Wilson were going to do there jobs when called i.e. doing whatever it took to win a game. Hence they were not "game managers"

Some "D", tend to hid weak, "game manager" Qb's, i.e. a Trent Dilfer (Ravens 2000) or a Brad Johnson (Tampa Bay 2003 )
---------

- Wilson is the first QB in NFL history with a passer rating of over 95.0 in each of his first three seasons

This guy was hardly a "game manager" .

The article below shows many more of Wilson's accomplishments as a elite Qb from the beginning.
Are Russell Wilson's first three years the best in NFL history?
------
I'm still pissed we didn't draft him ( allegedly bcuz of 'height')

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
What we don't want to see is Trubisky making mistakes that cost us wins. One thing I will be looking for is him having better accuracy. Last season some drives came to a halt cuz
he was missing wide open wr's.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll gladly call bullshit on anyone who says they didn't think the Bears weren't going to be good in year 2 of Trestman.

I had no expectations of the Bears being good in year two of Trestman. I was actually pisssed because the Bears resigned Cutler. Cutler never showed us anything in Trestman’s offense, only McCown did well in Trestman’s offense. Also the defense was not good.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Eli is perhaps the most overrated QB of this generation. He was terrible for most of the 1st SB and tried to throw the game away a few times. Forgot who it was on NE that pulled a Fuller and dropped a sure Int on the last drive.

So I personally would not call him a franchise QB. I would put him in the Flacco category of average QBs who are thought of more highly due to SBs.

I see Eli as better than Flacco but not by a large margin

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL, Eli has had just as many good season as he has bad seasons but he will always be remembered for taking down the Patriots twice in SB but most notably when they screwed them out of their perfect season. It pisses people off to hear this but he will be in the HoF. And I will laugh when those people have a titty attack about it.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
LOL, Eli has had just as many good season as he has bad seasons but he will always be remembered for taking down the Patriots twice in SB but most notably when they screwed them out of their perfect season. It pisses people off to hear this but he will be in the HoF. And I will laugh when those people have a titty attack about it.
Meh idc if Eli makes the HOF but if he does it will open the door for more above average players to make it imo. I mean what is he going in for? Longevity? Shattering Giants records? Like you mentioned his superbowl wins over the pats?