Zambrano can earn his way back on the team

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Big Z proved from 03' to 08' that he's got the physical gifts and repertoire to be a front-end starter. The problem is that he can't seem to keep himself mentally in check. I've never looked at him as some immovable contract like Soriano, but I do agree our return on investment for his 5 year, 91 million dollar deal has been a bit short. When you're paying a starter that kind of money, you'd obviously expect a few 20-win seasons sprinkled with a few post-season trips.

That being said, trading Zambrano would be a huge mistake. As many others have noted, what's the point of eating upwards of 90% of his salary to have him go to another team and potentially help them win a World Series? There have definitely been times as a fan where I feel like he's not worth the headache, especially when you consider what he's being paid. On the flip side, you really can sense that Big Z DOES love Chicago, the fans and the team. He's one of those players that expect to go out there and throw a complete game every time he pitches and starts to lose control if he makes a few bad tosses. He also seems to freak out if a small injury flares up. It seems like every start he misses or game he leaves early due to forearm tightness ends up turning into a DL stint.

I've always felt like he needs a true veteran battery mate to help keep him calm during games and a manager that can channel big egos. Unfortunately, we don't have either. All we can do is hope the injury bug doesn't bite him and he can keep his head on straight long enough to get his 30 quality starts.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
only reason i like this is because otherwise we would have to pay most of his contract

if there some sort of buyout or other, more flexible situation..then honestly i wouldnt want z on the team at all