“Come Get Me!” - Carson Palmer Begged the Bears to Trade Up Prior to ‘03 Draft | The Rich Eisen Show

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Palmer had six seasons with 4,000 passing yards. Bears ended up drafting Rex Grossman.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
cool-story-bro-decal_grande.jpeg

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm sure they could've easily gotten the number 1 pick.
You never know. Rams got the no. 1 pick and got Goff. If Palmer pulled an Elway move if he knew the Bears came after him. Like Eli Manning.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
You never know. Rams got the no. 1 pick and got Goff. If Palmer pulled an Elway move if he knew the Bears came after him. Like Eli Manning.

I doubt it. Tennessee had just drafted Mariota at the time, so they were in a prime position to trade since they didn't need Goff (or so they thought). Bengals didn't have that luxury. Then you look up what the Rams gave up to get in that position. Bears would've had to give up much, much more for Palmer, who not only was a more touted prospect, but also because the Bengals needed a QB. No way that deal would've ever happened without the Bears pretty much becoming just as worthless as the Bengals and winning nothing with Palmer.

Some of you guys genuinely don't think about the butterfly effect of these moves and just assume the Bears simply add Palmer to the 06 team.

Seriously, think about it. Briggs and Tillman are gone. They aren't here. Say goodbye to Tommie Harris and probaly even Devin Hester. That's the effect of this trade, and that's off the top of my head. Forget Nathan Vasher too.

Liked Posts:
I can only be so mad after the Trubisky fiasco, have no more capacity to get angry at shit like this anymore

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carson Palmer= SB 2007 champs. Instead of losing SB.
This is truth. We had two first rounders that year as well. Michael Freaking Haynes.

Last edited:

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Would have been the best qb in bears history. As someone posted earlier bears win sb 41 with carson palmer

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I always thought JA never took qb seriously. I guess he tried but just couldn't get it to happen.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I remember about the time Kimo dove into his knee Bears fans were saying how much he sucked and they wouldn't want him on the team. What's funny is those same fans are the ones wanting old washed up vets.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
What was attainable was getting Aaron Rodgers instead of Fucking POS Cedric Benson. The Bears had a beast in Thomas Jones. Why fucking draft another RB? Angelo was so stupid , he traded Jones to the Jets when he was still in his prime.

Don’t say the Bears never done it before. Bears drafted McMahon in 82 and drafted Harbaugh in 86 in 1st round

Good teams do that in order to o find franchise QBs. Teams can’t be scared. Also GB drafted Rodgers while Favre was still playing well. That’s a smart franchise. Not like the fucking Bears.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
What was attainable was getting Aaron Rodgers instead of Fucking POS Cedric Benson. The Bears had a beast in Thomas Jones. Why fucking draft another RB? Angelo was so stupid , he traded Jones to the Jets when he was still in his prime.

Don’t say the Bears never done it before. Bears drafted McMahon in 82 and drafted Harbaugh in 86 in 1st round

Good teams do that in order to o find franchise QBs. Teams can’t be scared. Also GB drafted Rodgers while Favre was still playing well. That’s a smart franchise. Not like the fucking Bears.

+10000000

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

Too bad the Bears weren't a year late,they could've drafted Marino. That's an easy four SBs in the 80s with that defense.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Palmer and his career 87.9 passer rating? Thats only minimally better than Cutler's. He wasnt beating Manning, especially considering his postseason stats were less than stellar

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Palmer and his career 87.9 passer rating? Thats only minimally better than Cutler's. He wasnt beating Manning, especially considering his postseason stats were less than stellar

As in Peyton? As in vs Rex Grossman or as in if only we had Peyton F Manning on the Bears?

You do realize Bears almost beat Manning with Grossman, right? All it would've taken was a QB that was slightly better than Rex.

If you're holding out for Peyton F Manning or bust you may as well find a different team. Cutler was the best QB the Bears have ever had, and then Trubisky was the best QB the Bears have ever had. We're a long way away from the best QB in the NFL being the best QB we've ever had.