2014 Chicago Cubs In-Season Discussion Thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1-2 every series becomes 54-108.

That is their current pace. Until Ricky gets out of this LH only vs RH pitching and vice versa to LSP it is going to be a long year.

Take 3B. Olt's OBA now is .077. That means that Valbuena is losing AB's for nothing.

Stats:

Bonifacio 2B/CF: 14-28 only scored 5 times out of the 17 times he has gotten on base.
Castro: 6 for 25 1 BB. Main #2 hitter. .269 OBA. Moving him to the 6 hole was a good idea.
Yesterday Kalish 2 for 7 over all but 2 BB already. OBA .444. The problem is he took away from Lake's AB's in LF.

So instead of letting Lake hit: 5 for 17 with a .368 OBA they instead are giving Sweeney the AB's in CF. 1 for 13 .188 OBA.

See how mindless it all is. stacking the line up only works if they are all hitting. You didn't see Ryno stacking. No he split up his 3/4 with Byrd vs LH starters....called adjusting. Not benching production for no production.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So we are now comparing Strop to Eck?

LOL!!!!!!!

Nah, just mentioning that there are plenty of closers/relief pitchers who're effective well into their late 30s/early 40s after you so graciously tried to say that a closer's shelf life is that of an NFL running back.

308367.jpg

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This team is even worse than I imagined....and I imagined they'd be pretty bad. They're a boring station to station team with very little power and a bad bullpen. These kids in the minors damn sure better pan out for them because this roster doesn't have one player that I'd describe as a solid major league player. Not one.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nah, just mentioning that there are plenty of closers/relief pitchers who're effective well into their late 30s/early 40s after you so graciously tried to say that a closer's shelf life is that of an NFL running back.

308367.jpg

That's a new comparison to me as well. Kid is getting pretty bad in his comments now.

sent from Jimmer range using Tapatalk

diavolos

Liked Posts:
This team is even worse than I imagined....and I imagined they'd be pretty bad. They're a boring station to station team with very little power and a bad bullpen. These kids in the minors damn sure better pan out for them because this roster doesn't have one player that I'd describe as a solid major league player. Not one.

wait till.....2018

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post
That depends on the closer. Eck pitched his best years at the end.

Most of the best closers were ex starters at the tail end

LOL!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!

So where did I even write: Strop = Eck.

I wrote as stated: Eck's best years were at the tail end of his career after you said closers are like running backs.

How you come up with Strop=Eck out of that only a bottle of Jack and Daniels will know.

czman

Liked Posts:

It is early, but I think this team may have the worst record of any Cubs team ever.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
It is early, but I think this team may have the worst record of any Cubs team ever.

i just don't see how anyone can come to the defense of this front-office, owner, managers and coaches. it makes no sense whatsoever.

but...but...but..."we're rebuilding". or "theo's got a plan". really? the plan was to make it so bad that any improvement looks good? because they're going to improve at some point. right? you just have to considering the last four years: 2010, 87 losses; 2011, 91; 2012, 101; 2013, 96; 2014?, 100?.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

That is their current pace. Until Ricky gets out of this LH only vs RH pitching and vice versa to LSP it is going to be a long year.

Their run differential is 16-19. St. Louis' is 17-22. Boston is 19-24. And the cubs have had quite a few RISP that they didn't bring in. I'd say they are closer to a .500 team than a 108 loss team. I still stay with my 70-75 win estimate. Also, keep in mind that unlike last year they should get better later in the year with call ups.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
54 wins is absurd statement. It's been one week, you can't judge everything off that. You'd never make it as a GM if your knee jerk reaction to one week is o man we are gonna lose 54 games

diavolos

Liked Posts:
i'm actually hoping for worse than 2003 tigers.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
i just don't see how anyone can come to the defense of this front-office, owner, managers and coaches. it makes no sense whatsoever.

but...but...but..."we're rebuilding". or "theo's got a plan". really? the plan was to make it so bad that any improvement looks good? because they're going to improve at some point. right? you just have to considering the last four years: 2010, 87 losses; 2011, 91; 2012, 101; 2013, 96; 2014?, 100?.

Its not about defending anyone... Most of us just choose not to whine and cry every day. We all know the team is bad, we all wish they went a different direction. Most just dont choose to piss n moan about it all the time and would rather discuss some of the positive they have going rather then constantly dwell on the negatives. If all you see is negative from bottom up and hold hatred in everything they do, then what the point in following the team all summer.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Glad to see that you have changed your tune from a few years ago when you stated that 3 years into the new administration, that the Cubs would not only be spending money, but also be competitive. :shot:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Glad to see that you have changed your tune from a few years ago when you stated that 3 years into the new administration, that the Cubs would not only be spending money, but also be competitive. :shot:

There's only been one guy that did it right for this organization and that was Dallas Green and they fired him. Epstein will spend some money...just like McPhail did and just like Hendry did....when they're told win or you're out. Then they'll spend it and spend stupidly trying to buy a winner. Look, I'm pretty much just an observer these days as I stopped being a Cubs fan and a baseball fan a long time ago. I don't know the kids in the minors like a lot of you do...I don't really care to. It won't make a difference, never has in my considerable lifetime and probably never will. No matter who they draft or who they sign....somehow, someway the Cubs will fuck it up.

It is what they do.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Take 3B. Olt's OBA now is .077. That means that Valbuena is losing AB's for nothing.

Stats:

Bonifacio 2B/CF: 14-28 only scored 5 times out of the 17 times he has gotten on base.
Castro: 6 for 25 1 BB. Main #2 hitter. .269 OBA. Moving him to the 6 hole was a good idea.
Yesterday Kalish 2 for 7 over all but 2 BB already. OBA .444. The problem is he took away from Lake's AB's in LF.

So instead of letting Lake hit: 5 for 17 with a .368 OBA they instead are giving Sweeney the AB's in CF. 1 for 13 .188 OBA.

See how mindless it all is. stacking the line up only works if they are all hitting. You didn't see Ryno stacking. No he split up his 3/4 with Byrd vs LH starters....called adjusting. Not benching production for no production.

Too early to make a call like that (on Olt). We need to see what he can do for a whole year or if he will be a part of the core/long-term plans. Valbuena could just take over 2B full-time with Bonifacio staying in the outfield and Barney gone for all I care.

patg006

Liked Posts:

Ahh, memory.

What a bitch.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Its not about defending anyone... Most of us just choose not to whine and cry every day. We all know the team is bad, we all wish they went a different direction. Most just dont choose to piss n moan about it all the time and would rather discuss some of the positive they have going rather then constantly dwell on the negatives. If all you see is negative from bottom up and hold hatred in everything they do, then what the point in following the team all summer.

I will go on record as saying I do not wish they had gone a different direction.

I wish they could have landed Tanaka. It would have sped things up some. But I am OK with the idea of actually getting good young players instead of the past years of guys over 30 on the downside of their careers. Or poor drafting.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wasn't sure if any actual Cub fans were allowed to start a thread like this. :shrug:

The point of this thread is to post your random baseball thoughts that aren't necessarily worthy of a new thread topic but are on your mind nonetheless.

Feel free to post your "Let's trade Darwin Barney for Prince Fielder! rants here, and I'll be here to prove your logic flawed.

Less than two weeks before season starts!:popcorn:

as much as you annoy me more than a burger from wendys that looks nothing like the presentation given from the cute little red head in the commercials...this thread is stick worthy. feel honored.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk