2014 CUBS TRADE RUMOR CHAT

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The idea with Alcantara is that eventually you have everyday players across the infield and outfield. But guys need days off to stay fresh, and so Alcantara becomes a plus player that can fill in a bunch of different spots.

And frankly I am sick of the anti-platoon nonsense. One of the best teams in baseball using platoons effectively to maximize their talent. Just because the Cubs haven't been effective at it doesn't mean that a concept that has been used by Hall of Famer managers like Earl Weaver is junk.

My issue is less with the platoon idea and more that I think Alcantara will be shit in the OF defensively like Lake was in CF. I think he can play a pretty decent 2B defensively. If you could see the future and tell me that Alcantara will be as good defensively all over that Ben Zobrist has been then I'd be totally fine with the idea of moving him around assuming it doesn't fuck with his hitting. The only place Zobrist has a negative UZR/150 is 3B(-84.4 in 20.1 innings) and SS(-1.3 in 1626.0 innings). He's even or positive at 1B, 2B, LF, RF, and CF. However, if you're talking a Bonifacio level defender he's negative at 2B(-0.4 in 1460 innings), 3B(-4.8 in 1065.1 innings), SS(-12.4 in 760.0 innings), and CF(-3.2 in 1137.0). The only two places he's been positive are LF and RF.

If we're talking about someone who should be a full time player, I want them to be above average defensively the majority of the time. In the case of Bonifacio, he's typically hurting you when he's on the field because even if he's playing in LF you're talking about him playing over better hitters potentially and RF for whatever reason is the position he's played the least. So, that's what I don't want to see out of Alcantara. If he's above average at 2B and shit else where I'd just assume leaving him at 2B.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
My issue is less with the platoon idea and more that I think Alcantara will be shit in the OF defensively like Lake was in CF. I think he can play a pretty decent 2B defensively. If you could see the future and tell me that Alcantara will be as good defensively all over that Ben Zobrist has been then I'd be totally fine with the idea of moving him around assuming it doesn't fuck with his hitting. The only place Zobrist has a negative UZR/150 is 3B(-84.4 in 20.1 innings) and SS(-1.3 in 1626.0 innings). He's even or positive at 1B, 2B, LF, RF, and CF. However, if you're talking a Bonifacio level defender he's negative at 2B(-0.4 in 1460 innings), 3B(-4.8 in 1065.1 innings), SS(-12.4 in 760.0 innings), and CF(-3.2 in 1137.0). The only two places he's been positive are LF and RF.

If we're talking about someone who should be a full time player, I want them to be above average defensively the majority of the time. In the case of Bonifacio, he's typically hurting you when he's on the field because even if he's playing in LF you're talking about him playing over better hitters potentially and RF for whatever reason is the position he's played the least. So, that's what I don't want to see out of Alcantara. If he's above average at 2B and shit else where I'd just assume leaving him at 2B.
Frankly I am not sure he is going to be good defensively at any spot, and hence why moving around might get his bat in the lineup without exposing him too much.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Frankly I am not sure he is going to be good defensively at any spot, and hence why moving around might get his bat in the lineup without exposing him too much.

He's been decent at 2B in the minors. You're talking about 38 errors in 773 chances for a .951 fielding%. Barney played more SS in the cubs minors but you're talking about 68 errors in 1800 chances or a .962 fielding%. Gordan Beckham was .947 in the minors at 2B and is -2.4 UZR/150. Daniel Murphy had a .954 fielding% and has a 1.7 UZR/150. However, it looks like most of the positive UZR/150 guys were more in the .970+ range. So, perhaps you're right. But, this year in AAA he's at .966 and last year when he first moved full time was .954.

I've also read scouting reports suggesting he will eventually be good there. He's got a SS arm so that's a plus and obviously with 30+ SB potential he should have good range. Getting a good jump off the ball probably has more to do with range than top end speed though. That being said, judging that sort of thing likely is improved by more play there and considering he'd only played 47 games there prior to last year you'd expect it to improve over times some.

I guess it's kind of difficult to say one way or another at this point. However, I just really don't buy the concept of being able to stick him in CF because he's fast. Soriano was as fast if not faster and was relegated to LF. Lake is fast and was crappy there.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If Alcantara is a 2B because they are playing him there now. Than Baez is a SS because that is where they are playing him now. And same with Bryant.

I guess that means Castro is screwed then...

We will see how it plays out.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I think it would be awfully dumb to trade Castro regardless of value. I mean he is just taping into his true potential and at 24 is going to have over 800 career hits. His power numbers are up big time and he is hitting for a lower average than he did a few years ago, but the power bump makes up for it. Plus he is already signed at a good amount until 2019, in which he makes less than $12 mil each year until a potential $16M option in 2020.

These numbers would be even more impressive if there was more than 1 or 2 other bats in the lineup worth a damn.