2014 NBA Draft database (Mocks, player profiles, etc)

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am very high on UCLA sophomore Kyle Anderson. Doesn't seem to have elite level athleticism, but possesses exceptional ball handling ability for someone 6'9" with a 7'2" wingspan. He reminds me of a poor mans Kevin Durant/Lamar Odom hybrid. Not as long, and not as strong of a shooter, but the main body of work resembles a plethora of similarities.

The Bulls need players who provide scoring a playmaking. Given our current draft position(s), I believe Kyle Anderson is not only attainable, but capable of developing into an offensive weapon for years to come.

For those concerned with his potential defensive liabilities, we have the luxury of Jimmy Butler who has shown he is more than capable of defending the top wing player (sans KD) of any NBA team.
Anderson reminds me of a less athletic Evan Turner. He's got to have a consistent jumper if he's going to do be good in the NBA. That said, a 6'9" dude with ball handling abilities like his is unique and if we had that kind of playmaking at the 3, even off the bench, I think that'd be a good asset. His court vision was excellent from what I've seen from him and UCLA suffered without him on the floor. Defensively, I think Thibs could hide him well enough if he's really bad, but I think his length can make up a little for what his athleticism lacks in Thibs' system, especially if he's got Taj and Joakim behind him to help.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Anderson just doesn't have the athleticism to do it for me

besides we got Butler who i see as a SF more than a 2...so unless we get Carmelo i'd rather have Butler at the 3

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I'm going to enjoy the combine this year. The tourney makes a lot of hope, but the combine is where you can really get an idea of who keeps working in the offseason and who is more than likely a bust. A lot of the natural talent in this so-called deep draft, will wind up disappointing IMO. So it's key to be all over these kids to see who fits within the team.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm going to enjoy the combine this year. The tourney makes a lot of hope, but the combine is where you can really get an idea of who keeps working in the offseason and who is more than likely a bust. A lot of the natural talent in this so-called deep draft, will wind up disappointing IMO. So it's key to be all over these kids to see who fits within the team.

I agree w/ the combine talk, but strongly disagree w/ the thoughts on the strength of the class. This class is soooo deep. CleAnthony Early is going around 20 in a lot of mocks...Rodney Hood in the late Teens...There's going to be a handful of busts...but there's so much talent in this draft it hurts.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
saw a bleacher-report mock that had the Bulls taking Ennis (PG - Syracuse) and Anthony (SF - Wichita State) in the 1st round. I'd personally love that.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I agree w/ the combine talk, but strongly disagree w/ the thoughts on the strength of the class. This class is soooo deep. CleAnthony Early is going around 20 in a lot of mocks...Rodney Hood in the late Teens...There's going to be a handful of busts...but there's so much talent in this draft it hurts.

I think the class is strong, but that will cause many teams to pick players on hype-factors, while the gems fall through into the 2nd round for no good reason. Gems that will wind up having better careers than a lot of 1st round selections. And some of those passed up opportunities will hinder our own draft, because we might skip over a potential all-star for someone who remains a role-player for their career. We can't forget, when you have a lot of potential coming into the NBA, that re-writes the playing field considerably.
Teams that we factor as good next season, will wind up being highly unpredictable come sophomore seasons for a lot of these guys. Looking at historically deep drafts, teams that pick in the top 5 get a blue chip 4 out of 5 times, and teams that pick later in the draft come away with the best results, because teams are too quick to hand over the keys to a franchise to a rookie with little support around them. This leaves teams with good veterans able to bring up a weaker player to that all-star level. Which all keeps their ego in check, as well as puts them into good work habits from the get go.

That's why I really don't give two shits about any of the mocks right now. Compare them with post combine mocks, and they will change more now, than before(as far as the range we are drafting in.) The guys we like now, will drop into the second round or get bumped into the top-10, leaving whole new faces for whatever spots we grab.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
saw a bleacher-report mock that had the Bulls taking Ennis (PG - Syracuse) and Anthony (SF - Wichita State) in the 1st round. I'd personally love that.

i would hate that

Early is a undersized power forward and as is we are stacked at power forward with Taj and Nikola on his way

ive already stated my feelings about Ennis....dont want to waste another pick on Derrick Roses career backup

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Idk about Kyle Anderson. He looks super un-athletic. He has high bust potential but I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be a really good player either, he has a unique skill set. I know nothing about him in terms of work ethic/character.

I like what I saw from Cleanthony Early. Against Kentucky he proved that he could hang with NBA level talent. I think he'll be a nice role player in the NBA. I know several people on here don't seem to like McDermott but I don't think he would be a bad pickup either at where we are picking. He isn't overly athletic either but he is fairly versatile on offense.

czman

Liked Posts:
I think the odds are at least one of the first rounds is a player who has spent 3/4 years in college.

I think Cleanthony Early has a very good chance to be a Bulls pick. He is projected around where the Bulls are picking, he is a Senior, and he has been on a team that has tournament success.

Adreian Payne also seems like a guy they might go after.

I honestly have not started to look at players yet, but a cursory glance puts those to my early radar for possible Bulls picks.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
dont understand taking another PF unless we're dumping/trading Taj to get Carmelo

czman

Liked Posts:
dont understand taking another PF unless we're dumping/trading Taj to get Carmelo

Both of those players probably have enough lateral quickness to play the SF. They are both good shooters so they should be able to spread the floor. Their ability to handle the ball is what projects them more as 4. The Bulls have not had a problem playing guys at the 3 who have been below average for their position when it comes to ball handling.

It is still very early. These are just very early thoughts.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
I admit I don't watch much college basketball so I don't know a great deal about which player beyond the top 10 really is better or worse. I look at the evaluations that show strengths and weaknesses for the players that various mock drafts have going around the Bulls picks to see who might be a possibility. If somebody wishing they were in the know sees a weakness in a player you can be damn sure the Bull's scouts see it and have an idea if it can be corrected.

But as for anybody's mock draft being anywhere close to knowing who the Bulls might pick, I don't think any of these diehard expert ballers knows jack. I looked at 3 of them from different websites; one had the Bulls with the first and second round picks picking 3 PFs. The next had them selecting 3 SGs. And the third had them drafting 3 SFs. They will be looking at those positions but I can tell you they aren't going to be drafting 3 players at any one position.

The other thing is, anyone who has seen the history of Paxson and Forman should be able to figure out they aren't going to be that enthusiastic about drafting freshmen as late as they pick. They have steered away from it in the past as much as they have leaned towards taking players from winning programs. It's obvious they want a player with at least 2 years in college who shows some maturity, who they don't have to worry about getting into trouble, who understands he's taking a gigantic step up to the NBA and won't play much in his first year or two. Example, Butler, Teague, Snell. They draft a lot of Duke players, they took Gibson who was 25 when drafted. So some players projected as them taking are just out of character for what they do you know the person doesn't have a clue.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There are going to be a couple of guys available to the Bulls who last year would have been lottery picks. I do not see the Bulls going for a power forward in this draft what with Gibson and Mirotic likely on the team next year. I see shooting guard, small forward, and back-up center as priorities pretty much in that order.

The key to me is going to be whether or not Carmelo comes over. I'd say that right now, it is 70/30 that he does. Jackson or no Jackson nobody is going to magically turn over the dead-ass Knicks in a couple of years and he has to know this. If he does come over, I see them letting Hinrich and Dunleavy go and amnestying Boozer while trying to keep Augustine and bringing Mirotic over. With that scenario, I would expect them to go with a shooting guard, a swing 2/3 like Saric, and a big center with their picks. Its is an ideal situation in that GIbson, Mirotic, Noah, and Butler are pretty selfless players and I think that Rose can truly concentrate on really being a point guard with Carmelo the prime first alternative.

The line-up would be the best in the entire NBA:
Starters Bench

PG -- Rose Augustin/Croft
SF -- Melo Saric
C -- Noah Stein
PF -- Gibson Mirotic
SG -- Butler Levine/Snell

IF Melo doesn't come, my preference would be to bring Deng back as long as he doesn't want a big contract. This would be ideal to me in that it would be a seamless transition and that Thibs would be very happy. If Deng is the guy, then they can keep Dunleavy. This means also that shooting guard takes priority in the draft. In that scenario, the team would look something like this:

Starters Bench

PG -- Rose Augustin/Croft
SG -- Butler Young/Snell
C -- Mirotic Stein
SF -- Deng Dunleavy
PF -- Gibson Mirotic

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I admit I don't watch much college basketball so I don't know a great deal about which player beyond the top 10 really is better or worse. I look at the evaluations that show strengths and weaknesses for the players that various mock drafts have going around the Bulls picks to see who might be a possibility. If somebody wishing they were in the know sees a weakness in a player you can be damn sure the Bull's scouts see it and have an idea if it can be corrected.

But as for anybody's mock draft being anywhere close to knowing who the Bulls might pick, I don't think any of these diehard expert ballers knows jack. I looked at 3 of them from different websites; one had the Bulls with the first and second round picks picking 3 PFs. The next had them selecting 3 SGs. And the third had them drafting 3 SFs. They will be looking at those positions but I can tell you they aren't going to be drafting 3 players at any one position.

The other thing is, anyone who has seen the history of Paxson and Forman should be able to figure out they aren't going to be that enthusiastic about drafting freshmen as late as they pick. They have steered away from it in the past as much as they have leaned towards taking players from winning programs. It's obvious they want a player with at least 2 years in college who shows some maturity, who they don't have to worry about getting into trouble, who understands he's taking a gigantic step up to the NBA and won't play much in his first year or two. Example, Butler, Teague, Snell. They draft a lot of Duke players, they took Gibson who was 25 when drafted. So some players projected as them taking are just out of character for what they do you know the person doesn't have a clue.

They drafted Teague, a freshman, who was a massive failure. They drafted Tyrus Thomas, a freshman who was a massive failure. They drafted Rose, who had one great season, but has been a massive failure the past two seasons.

So it would seem they do need to shy away from Freshman winning programs.

They actually haven't drafted a Duke player since Chris Duhon in 2004.

czman

Liked Posts:
There are going to be a couple of guys available to the Bulls who last year would have been lottery picks. I do not see the Bulls going for a power forward in this draft what with Gibson and Mirotic likely on the team next year. I see shooting guard, small forward, and back-up center as priorities pretty much in that order.

The key to me is going to be whether or not Carmelo comes over. I'd say that right now, it is 70/30 that he does. Jackson or no Jackson nobody is going to magically turn over the dead-ass Knicks in a couple of years and he has to know this. If he does come over, I see them letting Hinrich and Dunleavy go and amnestying Boozer while trying to keep Augustine and bringing Mirotic over. With that scenario, I would expect them to go with a shooting guard, a swing 2/3 like Saric, and a big center with their picks. Its is an ideal situation in that GIbson, Mirotic, Noah, and Butler are pretty selfless players and I think that Rose can truly concentrate on really being a point guard with Carmelo the prime first alternative.

So there is a 70% chance that Melo takes ~60 million less to play for the Bulls?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Must just suck...can't even get off the bench in Minnesota. I know Pekovic and Love are in front of him but still. Then again...Shabazz can't get off the bench either.

saw him get 20/20 the other day on a bad shooting night. Pek was injured. The problem for him is he plays behind Love and Pek.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So there is a 70% chance that Melo takes ~60 million less to play for the Bulls?

It won't be nearly that much. And he already has enough money to buy a country if he wants to. I believe that Melo wants to be mentioned among the elite in his generation in the NBA. To do that, he will need to win titles. He will have a chance to win at least three with the Bulls and none with the Knicks.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I wouldn't like that draft at all. PG is not their first need.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
what about doing everything we have to to bring back Augustine, then drafting Warren from North Carolina State for small forward with the #16 pick, as he seems to be able to shoot, score in contact, rebound, and defend. With the 19 pick draft the best big man depth you can find to develop for the departure of Boozer. Bring over Mirtoic, and screw Melo.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't like that draft at all. PG is not their first need.

agreed

everybody talking about Rose might get hurt again...well if Rose gets hurt again i would blow the team up